Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,135 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any experience with getting their earnest money back from Grand Homes . We were trying to build with grand in Rolling Ridge in Murphy but have quickly found out that the who scheme is a rip off. They have said they cannot refund the earnest money and we will have to forfeit it. Has anyone had any success in getting their earnest money back from Grand Homes? How did you go about this? Do we need to contact a lawyer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 12:09 PM

107 posts, read 354,521 times
You will have to contact Mr. Brooks directly and let him know your situation and why you are unhappy. Things can be worked out... or You may in fact need a Real Estate Attorney to assist you.

Let me say this, please if you decide to go with another builder PLEASE use a buyers agent....the agent will represent your interest and you do not have to pay that agent, the builder pays them.

You can go to the Dallas County Realtor Board or Collin county you signed the contract in and request mediation. Did you put down option money?

Look at your contract carefully.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:22 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
If you're backing out just to back out, good luck getting your earnest money back. If you backed out because you can't sell your house, your raise didn't come through, rates increased too much for your payment confort, and other things like that, they should give it back...

You need to see what your contract says, and I completely agree with the above, that if you have a realtor working on your side, it's very easy to get the earnest money back. I've never had a client lose earnest money.

And what about Grand is a "scam"? Did you not like their "free" pool?

Old 05-29-2009, 04:43 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
ditto the get-a-realtor-comment

would not be having this discussion if you had, probably

good luck because it is not going to happen 99% chance...

Old 05-29-2009, 05:52 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,972 times
And if you still plan to build.......find another builder!!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:47 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
I've said for years that I believe Grand makes more money off of keeping deposits from people they get under contract then they make selling homes. Just my opinion.

Best of luck. There is a reason Grand is consistently at the bottom of JD Power surveys. There are a few others you should investigate before you buy also.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I think everyone has given you fair advise, as for getting your ernest money deposit back, good luck. Unless you can prove fraud or something like that you have very little recourse.

Nita

Old 05-30-2009, 01:54 PM

200 posts, read 548,185 times
Default I have a realtor...but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
ditto the get-a-realtor-comment

would not be having this discussion if you had, probably

good luck because it is not going to happen 99% chance...
I do have a realtor but I am having difficulty getting my earnest money back from Portrait(Pasquinelli) Homes. My realtor told me that the earnest money was put in a separate account so I should be able to get it back eventually. They never finished building the house and they do not have the money to continue. It has been 5 months since we made the refund request. Portrait told my realtor that they have my information and is still "in process". I am not sure if I am getting any benefit in this matter for having a realtor?

Old 05-30-2009, 02:37 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjc281 View Post
I do have a realtor but I am having difficulty getting my earnest money back from Portrait(Pasquinelli) Homes.
My buyers pulled out of that community back in November. Their house got a slab and that's it. They only got their earnest money back because I kept calling Mark, the VP, and was very nice to him, so he made things happen. When the check didn't come as quickly as he said it would, we told him the buyers' attorney would get involved if we didn't see it before the end of the year, and viola, a check in the mail.

I hope your agent knows who to talk with, because that on-sight sales lady had an attitude and knew NOTHING!!

Old 05-30-2009, 03:42 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
having a realtor is better than going it alone--but all realtors are not created equal...just as all builders are not...
there are so many negative comments around about Grand Homes that when I read people complaining about them I just wonder when that person discovered the power of the Internet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas