Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 08:32 AM

7 posts, read 51,656 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a 4.5 year old and am trying to know my options. He can either go to Kerr Elementary or a private school - if we can find one. From what I understand, all the great private schools are in the Dallas area, which may not be feasible, as I live and work in Allen and my wife commutes to Farmer's branch. I "served time" in Redmond and the private school culture among MSFT employees has rubbed off on me.

1) Do we have any private schools for Allen children?

2) I hear some of the better private schools are designed for kids who are affluent vs. kids with potential.

Any information is appreciated,

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 10:27 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,492,463 times
The Allen schools are very good, but there are private school kids who live in Allen. I know of some who are in Catholic schools in Plano. But it's true the good independent schools are in Dallas. There is the Greenhill School in Farmers Branch/Addison and your wife could just take him, put him in aftercare and then your wife can bring him home. His school friends will be scattered all over town, which has its pros and cons.

My advice is to try the public school first. Allen is way above average in that regard. There is something to be said for having close by friends, close by birthday parties, etc. There is also something to be said for having a free education. If something happens to your income or one of you decides to stay at home, you'll be glad to not have $20,000/year tuition hanging over your head. The logistics of school age kids is hard on dual-career families. It's much easier during the preschool time. Never say never on an income/job getting cut back due to family demands.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:06 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,901,263 times
he's a kindergartener... the public schools are very good out there esp the elem.
Unless you want a religious teaching school then I don't see any reason to waste money on the private school at this age.

Now when he's in 4-6 grade and the school is not meeting your expectation for education then consider the private route.

And as the above poster mentioned...going to school with the kids in your neighborhood etc...will give him playmates etc... if he is gone all day from the area only to be around on weekends he may not get to know many of the local kids and then have no-one ringing the bell on the weekends to go play.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:46 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,600,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersose View Post
Hi,

I have a 4.5 year old and am trying to know my options. He can either go to Kerr Elementary or a private school - if we can find one. From what I understand, all the great private schools are in the Dallas area, which may not be feasible, as I live and work in Allen and my wife commutes to Farmer's branch. I "served time" in Redmond and the private school culture among MSFT employees has rubbed off on me.

1) Do we have any private schools for Allen children?

2) I hear some of the better private schools are designed for kids who are affluent vs. kids with potential.

Any information is appreciated,

Thanks
1) Lots of kids commute to private schools from Allen, but the public schools are very good and it's quite a distance away so it's really unnecessary. If your wife works in FB then she would be conveniently located to most of the North Dallas private schools--Parish Episcopal is in the municipal boundaries of Farmers Branch, Greenhill is just west, Jesuit (high school only) is just south, and the rest of the schools aren't much farther. The closest notable private schools to Allen are Prestonwood Christian and John Paul II in Plano. JPII is a high school, and most of its students attend parochial schools in the area. The closest parochial schools that I know of are Prince of Peace and Saint Mark the Apostle in Plano.

2) No this is not really the case at all. Most, if not all of the private schools, have financial aid. Most of them have strict requirements for admission--high standardized test scores, good writing skills, extracurricular activities (at least for middle and high schools). There aren't very many private schools with just dumb rich kids, and there aren't really any with just "kids with potential." There are kids at every school, public and private, that have potential.

I would recommend, unless you feel strongly about sending your kids to a religious school, that you send them to the Allen public schools. If you do feel strongly about religious school, I would ask people at your church where they send their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas