Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,277 times

Advertisements

My oldest son will start Kindergarten in the Fall and we are considering relocating from Minneapolis to the Dallas area. Does anyone know much about the IB schools there? I'm really sad to leave behind the MN school systems...and haven't heard many positive things about TX in general.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Ideally, we would live within 30 miles of downtown Dallas, where I would be working. But that's negotiable based on the school thing.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 09:01 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,900,896 times
Your not going to find a full fledged IB program starting in elementary here. What you can find are some districts have Gifted & Talented magnet schools. Not all of the districts have them though and some are better than others. Depends on what kind of school environment your looking for. Do you want a program where your child will be in normal mainstream classroom and then pulled out for "extra" work during the day? Then there are some districts that have 1 class per grade of "gifted" students but they do not really mingle w/ the rest of their peers in that grade level. There are a few true "magnet" schools where the entire student body is comprised of "gifted" students and they are even broken up based on ability per subject. My oldest has been in the later program in the Garland ISD with their G&T program. We start the high school IB program next year at Garland HS.

The Dallas ISD has two of the top rated high schools in the nation w/ Yvonne Ewell and Townview. They share a campus. One does not need to reside in the Dallas ISD boundries to attend any of their magnets. However, you will have to pay tuition if you do not. Several students from the suburbs attend these two schools as well as Booker T. Washington for their arts program.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:27 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,596,911 times
Yvonne Ewell and Townview are exactly the same thing.

The campus is Yvonne A. Ewell Townview University Center (what a mouthfull), which is usually just called "Townview." There are six excellent magnet programs on that campus, the most prestigious of which are the School for the Talented and Gifted ("TAG Magnet") and the School for Science and Engineering ("Science and Engineering Magnet" or more commonly "S-E-M").

DISD has great magnet programs, but to get admitted from outside the district is difficult, though not impossible.

DISD starting with kindergarten has two montessori style schools, Dealey and Harry Stone. Then in the 4th grade most of the magnets get started--Travis in Uptown Dallas is the one that most parents try to get their kids into.

The IB program usually begins with "Pre-IB" courses in 9th grade, which may or may not be affiliated with the IBO Middle Years Program, and then a 2-year diploma program. Not many schools offer IB around here--it's mostly AP courses, which are much closer to what American universities offer for coursework and don't have the riddiculous requirements the IBO requires for the diploma.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
The IB program usually begins with "Pre-IB" courses in 9th grade, which may or may not be affiliated with the IBO Middle Years Program, and then a 2-year diploma program. Not many schools offer IB around here--it's mostly AP courses, which are much closer to what American universities offer for coursework and don't have the riddiculous requirements the IBO requires for the diploma.
Depends on the school district and how they have the magnets set up. My daughters school starts the Pre-IB courses in 7th grade at the G&T magnet middle school. If they take a foreign language during all 3 grades of middle school at the magnet it counts as 1 year of high school foreign language. However, it must be 3 years of Spanish in the 6th-8th grades to count. Their high school math courses start in 7th grade. Love trying to tell a 7th grader that their grades are actually counting towards their high school GPA . They don't always comprehend the importance of that especially with the 10% rule.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:38 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,596,911 times
It counts toward their high school GPA? When I was in Middle School we took Algebra I and Geometry as well as German I and German II but it didn't affect my GPA. I wonder if it would have if I had stayed in DISD for high school.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
It counts toward their high school GPA? When I was in Middle School we took Algebra I and Geometry as well as German I and German II but it didn't affect my GPA. I wonder if it would have if I had stayed in DISD for high school.
From what I've been told that is the case. It probably would have if you had stayed in the same district. I am constantly having to refresh my brain of how the whole program works, the credits, courses needed, etc. And this new 4x4 thing starts this coming year. I swear I'm probably going to be on a first name basis w/ her counselor just so I understand the process.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:17 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,487,325 times
Just fyi - my son is at SEM and I haven't heard a thing about IB, so I don't think it's an option. SEM is all about AP.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
Just fyi - my son is at SEM and I haven't heard a thing about IB, so I don't think it's an option. SEM is all about AP.
Correct. Neither SEM or TAG are IB programs. A good friend of mine teaches there and LOVES it.

Lakewooder has mentioned that they are looking at getting the IB program at Woodrow. Being that the OP's child will only be starting kinder this coming Fall there are not going to be many programs offered that early. The Garland ISD is rare in that they do start the G&T program in kindergarten. It may be too late period for their child to get into one of the programs for the Fall since all of the testings took place back in January/February.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:53 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,893,740 times
Westlake Academy does start with the IB program in the elem. level.
Primary Years Program

But that would be a haul from the Dallas area. And the waiting list is long if you don't live in Westlake.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:19 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,108,600 times
According to the IB Organization's official website, the following DFW area campuses are authorized to offer the Primary Years Program (PYP):

North Hills Preparatory in Irving [PYP Authorization Date: July 2007]
R.E. Good Elementary in Carrollton (Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD) [PYP Authorization Date: March 2008]
Pleasant Run Elementary in Lancaster (Lancaster ISD) [PYP Authorization Date: April 2009]
Westlake Academy in Westlake [PYP Authorization Date: July 2006]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas