Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:06 PM

16,086 posts, read 41,319,167 times

Advertisements

The Primary Years Program is planned to be offered in "two or three" of the Woodrow elementary feeder schools according to our foundation filings. It will probably be four years until that happens after it is rolled down to J.L. Long Middle School in two years.

I would expect that it will go to Lakewood since those parents are most adept at raising money (they've given Woodrow $12,000 for I.B. already) Stonewall would be a good guess for number two. There is already talk that the competition for third school would be between Lipscomb (exemplary for several years) and Mount Auburn (usually exemplary but missed by a couple of students last year). However, recognized Robert E. Lee has more room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 01:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,080 times
DISD will have an IB program at Woodrow Wilson High School. They are in the application process now.
I believe that Peak Prep on Live Oak has an Elementary IB program. This school is a charter school and has a lottery to get in.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:41 AM

Actually Woodrow is one of four IB World Candidate Schools in the state of Texas (this is the next-to-the-last step of a two-year process):

TIBS Members

Pre-IB classes for ninth graders will be offered next fall. Parental Public School Choice Applications will be taken this spring for eighth grade students outside the WW attendance zone to transfer in for IB.

For PYP only North Hills (Irving) and Good (Carrollton) Elementaries currently offer the program. St. Anthony in South Dallas is a candidate school.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:12 PM

358 posts, read 1,080,288 times
Original Poster - you stated that you would be 30 miles from Dallas. Where exactly are you going to live? You may be closer than you think to ideal IB schools.

Westlake Academy and North Hills Preparatory are both have the Primary Years Program, Middle Years Program and the Diploma Program~~~grades k-12.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:05 AM

709 posts, read 3,485,932 times
Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD has serveral schools with IB programs. Las Colinas Elementary (Irving section of district), Good Elementary(Carrollton section of district), Bush Middle School (Coppell/Irving side), Ranchview H.S. (Irving side)

There may be a few more elementary but these are definites.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:40 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,527,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The Primary Years Program is planned to be offered in "two or three" of the Woodrow elementary feeder schools according to our foundation filings. It will probably be four years until that happens after it is rolled down to J.L. Long Middle School in two years.

I would expect that it will go to Lakewood since those parents are most adept at raising money (they've given Woodrow $12,000 for I.B. already) Stonewall would be a good guess for number two. There is already talk that the competition for third school would be between Lipscomb (exemplary for several years) and Mount Auburn (usually exemplary but missed by a couple of students last year). However, recognized Robert E. Lee has more room.
Do you know if everyone in the Lakewood school district would have equal opportunity of attending the MYP, or would those in the district of the neighborhood school chosen (Lakewood, or Stonewall, etc) have first chance at it and the other areas lottery in?

Not that the answer matters too much I guess, since apparently it's not known where it will be so I can't plan around that!

Old 12-14-2009, 10:07 AM

I don't really know about that - I'm glad you brought it up because I really haven't heard it discussed. I will ask around.

As far as the program at Woodrow next fall, applications for transfer are being taken for those outside the attendance zone - to be filed this spring for 2010-11 year - but those already in the attendance zone "will be accomodated first" according to the material I have seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas