Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 08:58 AM

251 posts, read 1,533,212 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if there is a garden place that sells fruit trees and vegetables in the plano-wylie area.I know lowes and maybe home depot sell these items but not sure how there products and prices compare to smaller shops.Here are my questions:

1)Has anyone compared prices or maybe know of a cheaper shop?

2)Who has better quality fruit trees lowes or home depot? (Or maybe another local shop in the area)

3)Planning on planting a apple tree,any recommendations on a sweet tasting apple tree?

4)Pear/Fig tree?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 02:09 PM

681 posts, read 2,362,718 times
Try contacting Classic Gardens on FM 544 in Murphy. They have an extensive selection of plants and I always make the 20 minute trip from Allen to do my garden shopping there. The selection is *much* better than Lowes and Home Depot and usually less expensive than Calloways.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittySkyfish View Post
Try contacting Classic Gardens on FM 544 in Murphy. They have an extensive selection of plants and I always make the 20 minute trip from Allen to do my garden shopping there. The selection is *much* better than Lowes and Home Depot and usually less expensive than Calloways.
Yea actually I passed by them the other day and wasn't to impressed with there prices compared to lowe's.They have huge selections but was like a haunted area full of trees and plants but customers or customer service.Not quite sure if they are cheaper then lowes but maybe I'll pass by them again to take a closer look at prices and products.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:28 PM

3,822 posts, read 8,760,350 times
Definitely give them a shot. They aren't cheaper but the selection is good and the staff is generally more knowledgeable than the Big Box folks. We got our Lemon tree from there.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:32 PM

681 posts, read 2,362,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzstyle00 View Post
Yea actually I passed by them the other day and wasn't to impressed with there prices compared to lowe's.They have huge selections but was like a haunted area full of trees and plants but customers or customer service.Not quite sure if they are cheaper then lowes but maybe I'll pass by them again to take a closer look at prices and products.
I guess it depends on the plant and I think I'm comparing the prices to Calloways moreso than Lowes/HD. But I rarely find what I'm looking for at L/HD.

Oh, I forgot something really important about apple trees! I was so focused on where to buy them....
Apple trees should be planted in pairs and it's best to get two different varieties that bloom at the same time. Reason: apple trees don't self pollinate and they don't get *sexy* with the same variety! We had some apple trees back in PA and they need variegated company to do well.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittySkyfish View Post
Oh, I forgot something really important about apple trees! I was so focused on where to buy them....
Apple trees should be planted in pairs and it's best to get two different varieties that bloom at the same time. Reason: apple trees don't self pollinate and they don't get *sexy* with the same variety! We had some apple trees back in PA and they need variegated company to do well.
Hmm that's the first time I ever heard of such a thing.I'm afraid Im going to wake up one day and find mini apple trees growing all over my yard produced from the first two 'sexy'trees .But I'd have to do more research on that since I really wanted only one apple tree.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,417 times
Default Tropical Fruit Trees in TX

Hi, if you or anyone interested in the Asian Guava Tree or Dragon Fruit Tree, please check out our web page www.TexasGuava.com we have a fruit orchard in Royse City, TX and have great reasonable prices. You can contact us via the website or you can call me at 469-831-0948 leave message if no answer.

Thanks
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzstyle00 View Post
I would like to know if there is a garden place that sells fruit trees and vegetables in the plano-wylie area.I know lowes and maybe home depot sell these items but not sure how there products and prices compare to smaller shops.Here are my questions:

1)Has anyone compared prices or maybe know of a cheaper shop?

2)Who has better quality fruit trees lowes or home depot? (Or maybe another local shop in the area)

3)Planning on planting a apple tree,any recommendations on a sweet tasting apple tree?

4)Pear/Fig tree?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:27 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,247,024 times
Be forewarned most of the area has really poor quality soil, with lots of clay, bad drainage and not enough nutrients. You'll probably have to buy some gardening soil to mix in with the dirt. Watering is a must in the summer as there is little rain and the heat can be rough on young plants and trees. Fruit trees in particular require a lot of water.

Gardening around here require a bit of research, it gets hot enough in summer that its just too much for many plants to bear. However we get cold enough in winter to really keep from being able to grow and tropical plants or citrus trees. I guess its sort of a gardening no mans land.

I've never personally grown a fig tree here, but i imagine it would probably fare well. I've had the best luck with plants that are native to the Mediterranean region of the world. You can almost grow bananas here, and with some work you can grow peaches and plums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: