Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 02:59 PM

4 posts, read 9,048 times

Advertisements

I'm a single empty nester now and have lived in Grapevine for several years. I want to move closer to the city to have more things to do (culture, arts, dining, etc.).

I was thinking about the Knox Henderson area, Addison, Valley Ranch, or uptown by the AA center.

My question is about crime and safety, good mix of singles, nightlife for the over 40+, and good clean affordable housing (townhomes, garden homes, or lofts?)

Any advice? Which area is best for someone in my demographic and are there any areas I may have missed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 04:37 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,519,735 times
It really depends on what your definition of affordable is. Knox-Henderson and Uptown are great areas in which to live just because they are so convenient to the amenities of the city. You can walk to many places from either 'hood. However, they are not inexpensive. How much space do you require? What is your price range? Both of these areas are relatively safe considering you are in the middle of a major city. Would high-rise living appeal to you? There are some older buildings along Turtle Creek Blvd. that are not outrageously priced. Also, Oak Lawn offers a wide variety of housing types and prices.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:50 PM

4 posts, read 9,048 times
I would like to spend around 1400 a month and rent for a year before I buy something. High-Rise would appeal to me BUT, I have a small dog and not sure how that would work. I need a 2 Bed 1-2 Bath with about 1200 SF or more.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:51 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,519,735 times
Good call on renting before purchasing. That gives you a chance to get comfortable with the area. I looked in the MLS and found a few places that meet your criteria in Oak Lawn and in East Dallas. What I found were condos that the owners had for lease and a couple of duplex or triplex buildings. For what you are looking for, $1400 is going to be on the low side. But it is possible.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,178,892 times
You could also find a smaller house in East Dallas for that price - with a yard. Look for individual landlords. There are a lot of different organizations in those areas to join and there are lots of great restaurants, pubs and shops if you are more into that. Very friendly folks, just drop in anyplace and start a conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas