Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,985 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with any HOA'a reactions regarding solar panel installation for swimming pool heating. Does anyone thing that there will be a fight to be allowed to do this or are they pretty understanding in regards to green energy? Where can I look for more information?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 10:24 AM

6,828 posts, read 14,047,739 times
You would need to look at your HOA rule book. All of them are different so giving you a answer would be impossible. If there are no restrictions in your bylaws you should be good to go.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,900,896 times
Our HOA strictly forbids ANY kind of solar panels.

For each HOA you will need to look into the Codes for THAT particular development. I don't know of one that does allow them off hand. I think when push comes to shove it is going to take some serious people with deep pockets that threaten the HOA's to make them realize that having some kind of alternative energy source MUST be allowed. They are getting better looking so hopefully some sensible people can get in control of some of the HOA's when it comes to this situation.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:26 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,900,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
You would need to look at your HOA rule book. All of them are different so giving you a answer would be impossible. If there are no restrictions in your bylaws you should be good to go.
Except and I forgot to mention this............ while there may not be a single word saying specifically that solar panels are not allowed you MUST get an approval from the Architectural Control Committee before doing ANY work like putting up solar panels.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:19 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,599,825 times
There's some case law in other states (not in Texas yet) that strips that power from HOA's. IMO - if we want to focus on energy independence, we need to make a federal law saying that HOA's can't restrict this sort of thing. It's rather silly if you ask me.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,933 times
i used AR Solar for mine and my HOA hasnt said anythign yet about their work. They did put them up in the backyard though.. They told me there is a law being passed in sept 09 where hoa's cant stop you from putting up solar

Old 02-28-2009, 09:53 PM

3 posts, read 10,547 times
If your HOA has rules against, they may be outdated and they can be modified. If your HOA does not have any explicit rules governing solar panels, you will need to submit your plans to your HOAs architectural review group for approval. I suggest you get letters from a few of your neighbors stating they have not issues with the solar panels. My reasoning is that you will ALWAYS have a few people whining about anything possible. This will aid in shutting them down.

We have invited alternate energy companies into our HOA board meetings so we can become more knowledgeable on solar, geothermal and wind options. If you get push back from the HOA, you should aid them in having some local companies, that specialize in renewable energy, give presentations to debunk myths and fears of solar panels.

Good Luck

Old 02-28-2009, 11:06 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,553,296 times
Have done some of this with Solar PV and Solar Thermal.

Best path forward is to fully inform the HOA of your intent in advance with product samples, if available, pictures of similar completed projects, sketches of what you intend. In the trade these are called "Submittal" documents. It allows a full "meeting of the minds," all in advance for all interested parties to review and hopefully bless, or suggest modifications if needed.

The HOA is all about maintaining property values via conformity. However, if you start sinking money and routing around them without regard and their blessing, you risk making enemies without creating any benefit to yourself.

If they No-Go your proposed plans, ask and seek their guidance on what would be acceptable, and see if you can live with that. If they say nothing no how no way -- Then you can bring the lawyer in to hammer them. But start the cheap, friendly, open and fully above board way for best results.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:03 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
I would not count on a "law being passed in 09" that would allow you to put up solar panels now

every HOA is different--some have allowed people they like in their neighborhood to get away with violating HOA rules and some people they don't like get whacked...
it just depends
have you tested the water by talking to any of your neighbors about what they think
if you are the only person likely to actually do an install then I think you are out of luck...

Old 10-12-2009, 10:55 AM

4 posts, read 12,673 times
each HOA is diffrent,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas