Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 02:31 AM

101 posts, read 307,086 times

Advertisements

Is there a good local scene for producers breaking into the music industry in Dallas? How is the music hip hop scene there period not only just hip hop because im into lots of different kinds of music. So is the music scene in dallas pretty much hot or becoming hot like the Atlanta music scene and would it be a good idea for a up and coming music producer to move there for the music scene?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 10:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,681 times
yes, yes, and yes.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:23 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
If you're moving to Dallas from Atlanta for the Hip Hop scene then its not worth it. Local producers/artists rarely make it in Dallas & usually end up down in Houston at some point.

House, Techno, Dance music is a little different. Dallas has produced some very talented Dj's & producers in that genre.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:36 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Matt is absolutely right.

Dallas has one of the best Techno/Trance scenes in the country. Dallas also has an amazing metal scene. For both genres, Dallas is easily the best in the Southern states (save Miami on Techno). Im very big into Techno/Trance and you can open the Dallas Observer and find a club hosting varios DJ's almost every night of the week, month in and month out.

However Dallas is a far cry from Houston and Atlanta when it comes to hip hop and rap. Ive listened to alot of rap from Dallas and frankly its not very good. When compared to Houston's rappers, its not very good. It seems like alot of the stuff Ive heard from Dallas rappers is usually repetitive and focus more on the beats than the rap itself. Dont get me wrong, there are a few decent rappers from Dallas. Dallas might be up and coming with hip hop, but I dont know.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:56 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,015,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Dallas also has an amazing metal scene. For both genres, .

I totally agree with this. Dallas has some of the most amazing metal bands I have ever seen across the US, also Austin has a few but they seem a little more poppy.

They have a unique sound down here. I don't want to promote any bands, but there are two here in Dallas that Start with A. Even if you don't like metal, these guys are worth seeing. Austin has their own, all the girls think this one vocalist is so cute, but off stage without makeup and his girdle.. he is just an average chubby guy. But they are amazing performers and have great music.

Texas always had a huge underground metal scene. Hip hop not so much.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Texas always had a huge underground metal scene. Hip hop not so much.
The underground Hip Hop/Gangsta Rap scene has always been HUGE in Southeast Texas, Houston & Port Aurthur mainly.

Geto Boys are a legend in Houston & the whole entire South. They got their start back in the late 80's & blew up big time in the early 90's with songs like "My Mind is Playin' Tricks on Me" & "Six Feet Deep". Ever since then its continued to evolve & grow even more. Nowadays down in H-town everyone wants to be a rapper because of the success of so many others in the game before them. You have Asian's, Latino's, & even White people (Paul Wall) making records down in Houston. Eminem recently wrote a song & in it he quotes "Paul Wall is dope" saying how he's not jealous of another successful White Rapper.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-18-2009 at 11:28 AM..

Old 09-18-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The underground Hip Hop/Gangsta Rap scene has always been HUGE in Southeast Texas, Houston & Port Aurthur mainly.

Geto Boys are a legend in Houston & the whole entire South. They got their start back in the late 80's & blew up big time in the early 90's with songs like "My Mind is Playin' Tricks on Me". Ever since then its continued to evolve & grow even more. Nowadays down in H-town everyone wants to be a rapper because of the success of so many others in the game.

Never heard of them, not into that scene, not my thing.

He asked about Dallas, I dont think what he is looking for is here. Sounds like it is in Houston.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Never heard of them, not into that scene, not my thing.
You must not be from Texas or the South then. Their music videos were even on MTV back in the day.

MTV Circa 1991
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrhMeGCzfYo

Old 09-18-2009, 12:01 PM

Eminem giving props to fellow White Rapper & Houston native Paul Wall in new song.

NSFW Explicit Lyrics

YouTube - Eminem - My Darling (2009)

Remixed Houston style
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xliYv...eature=related

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-18-2009 at 12:13 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You must not be from Texas or the South then. Their music videos were even on MTV back in the day.

)

No I am not. I am not even American. But I do happen to know many people in the music business and people who can help the OP. I sent him a message already.

Have a nice day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas