Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:19 PM

3 posts, read 14,261 times

Advertisements

With the general suburban crash, which Dallas suburb seems like it is the *worst* positioned for the future? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 08:04 PM

17 posts, read 62,083 times
The Colony

Old 01-20-2009, 08:14 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,050,078 times
Kinda an awkward question given the hundreds of thousands of people moving to D/FW each year. When one suburb can no longer grow anymore ie: Plano they simply start a new one ie: Frisco.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:39 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,896,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecos_Drifter View Post
The Colony
I would say that The Colony with much more affordable housing and more rentals will be more primed to take in those losing their McMansions in neighboring Frisco, Plano, etc.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:50 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,050,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I would say that The Colony with much more affordable housing and more rentals will be more primed to take in those losing their McMansions in neighboring Frisco, Plano, etc.
No, they'll just keep sprouting new exurbs until they finally reach the Oklahoma border.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:52 PM

175 posts, read 405,850 times
How can anybody forget
McKinney
Allen
Celina
Prosper
Wylie
Sachse
Desoto
Lancester
Duncanville
Little Elm

Frisco is positioned bad, Plano is not that bad actually. Plano is a major city with major corporations. As long as those corporations provide some type of jobs Plano will still exist.

But can not say the same for the new suburbia.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:56 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,896,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
No, they'll just keep sprouting new exurbs until they finally reach the Oklahoma border.
I get what you are saying, I've wondered the same thing. Prosper is starting to take off and Frisco isn't even half filled out yet.

But the OP was about the suburb that would do the worst in this downturn. The Colony has always been more blue collar than the surrounding areas, so I see it holding its own if the economy continues to stall out and the Friscoites and Planoites start losing their homes.

If the economy doesn't rebound, the best thing about it is that the general all consuming sprawl northward will at the least slow down for a while

Old 01-20-2009, 09:17 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,035,180 times
Define "die". If you are referring to suburban and turning into a ghetto - that would be Desoto, Lancaster and Duncanville.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:19 PM

702 posts, read 2,728,944 times
the southern suburbs? it's odd that the housing is relatively inexpensive (when compared to the rest of the dallas area) yet there are many many foreclosures there.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:59 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,941,113 times
Default Re:

Wilmer?
Oh wait, that one's already dead.

I'm no fan of The Colony, but it's been there long enough that a good chunk of the houses have substantial owner equity. They were always cheap houses, and didn't appreciate all that much. So I don't see them being hit excessively hard by the current situation.

Re: "Trading down" to The Colony - Ya know, when you lose your McMansion, it's not as if you can turn around and buy another, smaller house. Your credit is completely shot. You're probably upside down on the house, so you walk away either broke or in debt. My neighbor who got foreclosed on went from the penthouse to the outhouse. He's in a 1 BR apartment now.

Plano - similar deal to The Colony (large chunks of the city are 20-30 years old, and very little is <5 years old), but with the added bonus that there's a substantial corporate HQ (west side) and industrial (east side) business base in the city.

My choice for dead suburb walking? Frisco. Far-flung location, half-completed developments with builders walking away, foreclosures up the wazoo, next to impossible to sell an existing home these days, heavy expenditures on schools and infrastructure still needed, very little business base to tax, dropping property values - it's the perfect storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas