Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 11:06 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,930,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southaustingal View Post
Right, that's why I said "plenty of neighborhoods" and not "all neighborhoods." And of the moms I know, most work. I can't say the same for you. If I didn't work, I'm sure I'd scout out all the other moms who didn't work, and then most of the moms I'd know wouldn't work.

My post was simply meant to let people know that the roads aren't necessarily paved with gold here in Texas, and the poster might find herself in the same situation she's in now, only miles from home.
You are correct, there are "plenty of neighborhoods" that both parents work. I have relatives that lived have lived in several of the nicer areas of Plano (one of those places some think is "IT", yeah right) and not made any friends. They never meet their neighbors or had any kind of neighborhood gatherings. I think I posted it before but even recently it was on the news that there was an increase in home burglaries there during the day as most people worked so there was no one around to see or report what was going on. No activity in the neighborhood during the day other than thugs coming in for no good. Now my relatives live in a neighborhood by me and have only been there 4 months and have made friends, been to social gatherings, cookouts, etc. They can not even stop saying how much they love it. LOL!!! Whereas I have always tried to stay in an area that was not hyped as "all that" and have made lots of friends that I am very close to.

It is not that I actively sought out the area I live in just for the stay at home moms and picked it on that, which I did not. It just so happens that being a stay at home mom I am at the schools w/ my children and out in my neighborhood, at church and other places and that is how I have meet these people. After I moved here I found out there was a neighborhood moms club and several other ladies groups that meet for different things of interest. Then taking my kids to school in the mornings I see TONS of people out walking (most appear to be on the "young side" for retirement as my relatives are that recently bought near me and 30-40ish women pushing baby strollers).

That might be another good way to see if there are more stay at home moms in an area. Drive thru the neighborhood in the mornings around 8ish. Drive by the neighborhood elementary schools when people are dropping off and picking up. Are there lots of parents picking up their kids? Or lots of daycare buses and school buses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 07:53 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,686,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I don't think that is entirely true. It depends on WHERE in the area you live. Do you live in an area that people do ANYTHING to live there? In my area the overwhelming majority of moms stay home (stay at home, now that is a joke ). There is only 1 on my street that does work and her kids are in college. I know of several around here that kids are in college and they still "stay at home". Lots of early retiree's too. For field trips the moms and dads can not ride the bus as there are so many wanting to go. Volunteer hours are logged in for each volunteer and school. This is a BIG DEAL around here. The teachers around here don't even make their own copies, they have room moms that do that. Of the few that do work most work at a job that allows them to work while the kids are in school or they work for their family business.

Drive thru a neighborhood on a Saturday afternoon when people are out or in the evening when they are out walking. Wave and smile at them. Do they wave and smile back? If they are doing yardwork do they stop to look at the car driving by? All of that is rampant around here. While I have not meet personally the newest neighbor in our subdivision I did wave at her as I passed her yesterday when she was out in the flowerbeds. She stopped and looked up and waved back w/ a smile. GREAT, then she fits in around here. LOL, as we have one fairly recent new neighbor that will not make eye contact. Got snippy w/ one neighbor when they went over to introduce themselves and took a cake. OKAY!!!! I had someone tell me (that does not live in my neighborhood but knows it) that they need to be checked out as that is just not right for our area. LOL!!!
I wish I would have moved to your neighborhood then!! lol.. I moved here from California and I feel like I had to make the first move with all my neighbors. Some of them looked at me strange when I had the nerve to intoduce myself .When I said I was from California it was worse. lol When someone new moves in on my street I always take a little gift basket of goodies over as a "welcome to the neighborhood". Believe it or not...one time I got a strange reaction to that even. Ya can't win. But after 7 years ..I finally know just about everyone on the street and we all look out for each others kids. I just feel like I'm the one who had to do the prodding. Not the southern hospitality I was expecting right off.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:19 PM

170 posts, read 474,151 times
Its funny the poster trying to make it seem the state is full of junk cars and no one has money. But he/she cant explain who it is who is buying the millions of homes at the prices of 500k to 1 million and more. He/she doesnt realize there is tons of money here and I see it everywhere.
As far as air quality, Dallas and Houston are terrible. THere is always a yellow or orange alert. The only area with that in Cal is LA. San Diego and the Bay area are much cleaner. THere is lots of traffic for sure, but every place has its plus and minuses. THere are far more pluses in Cal. Thats why whenever someone moves to Texas from Cal. the first thing they are asked is if you are crazy. No one can believe someone would move from Cal to Texas.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:07 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,930,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
I wish I would have moved to your neighborhood then!! lol.. I moved here from California and I feel like I had to make the first move with all my neighbors. Some of them looked at me strange when I had the nerve to intoduce myself .When I said I was from California it was worse. lol When someone new moves in on my street I always take a little gift basket of goodies over as a "welcome to the neighborhood". Believe it or not...one time I got a strange reaction to that even. Ya can't win. But after 7 years ..I finally know just about everyone on the street and we all look out for each others kids. I just feel like I'm the one who had to do the prodding. Not the southern hospitality I was expecting right off.
That is terrible. But not surprising. I'm glad you are making the effort to meet and greet the new neighbors. That is always so nice. I love having block parties and the kids can get to know each other and so can us adults. Right now I am only on this computer because my other half is out w/ the guys (this new mall and having restaurants and stuff, lol). Even in our other house about 7 miles from here he would call and say he was headed home and if he had not shown up in 15-20 minutes I would call the neighbors to see where he had stopped (unless I was already there myself or outside w/ them when he came home). It is so nice. Even though I have not lived by any of those neighbors/friends in over 4 years we always get together for cookouts, parties, going to Six Flags or the State Fair all together. Some of our best friends have been former neighbors and current neighbors.

BTW, where does this johnmarq guy live? California or Texas? And what has he been smoking to think that every single day in Dallas is an air pollution watch day? Maybe all of that smog and fog in California got his brain all fuzzy and hazy and he thinks it is the same here. LOL!!!

Old 10-10-2006, 10:49 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,443,587 times
Johnmarg, Thanks for visiting the Dallas forum frequently to remind us all how much the city sucks.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:22 AM

201 posts, read 861,887 times
LOL!! Yeah what does he smoke...for the dope is obviously making him delirious, giddy and is oblivious to the housing situation in CA where people are wrecking themselves trying to pay for their high mortgages. Housing is a hot topic here for you can hear everyone discussing about it but no one is so deliriously in la-la land as this guy regarding "wealth" in CA. He seems to have a "Whittington Syndrome" - where he thinks the streets here are paved with gold and everyone is rolling around naked in bed stacked with cash, eat caviar for breakfast, drive Lamborghinis, gargle with Dom Perignon and own 200 foot yachts docked at the marina. Sheesh!!

Quote:
BTW, where does this johnmarq guy live? California or Texas? And what has he been smoking to think that every single day in Dallas is an air pollution watch day? Maybe all of that smog and fog in California got his brain all fuzzy and hazy and he thinks it is the same here. LOL!!!

Old 10-11-2006, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarg View Post
Its funny the poster trying to make it seem the state is full of junk cars and no one has money. But he/she cant explain who it is who is buying the millions of homes at the prices of 500k to 1 million and more. He/she doesnt realize there is tons of money here and I see it everywhere.
As far as air quality, Dallas and Houston are terrible. THere is always a yellow or orange alert. The only area with that in Cal is LA. San Diego and the Bay area are much cleaner. THere is lots of traffic for sure, but every place has its plus and minuses. THere are far more pluses in Cal. Thats why whenever someone moves to Texas from Cal. the first thing they are asked is if you are crazy. No one can believe someone would move from Cal to Texas.
Obviously you haven't been paying attention...it's been mentioned several times where the false wealth is coming from. Yeah, I have friends who live in a so called 500k house , have 2 brand new cars (took equity out of their home) and they can't even afford to go out to eat ot travel. Yeah...they LOOK like they have money....
Seeing more and more California plates in Texas......hmmmmm

Old 10-11-2006, 06:46 AM

Quote:
That is terrible. But not surprising. I'm glad you are making the effort to meet and greet the new neighbors. That is always so nice. I love having block parties and the kids can get to know each other and so can us adults. Right now I am only on this computer because my other half is out w/ the guys (this new mall and having restaurants and stuff, lol). Even in our other house about 7 miles from here he would call and say he was headed home and if he had not shown up in 15-20 minutes I would call the neighbors to see where he had stopped (unless I was already there myself or outside w/ them when he came home). It is so nice. Even though I have not lived by any of those neighbors/friends in over 4 years we always get together for cookouts, parties, going to Six Flags or the State Fair all together. Some of our best friends have been former neighbors and current neighbors.

I think Johnmarg lives in SF Cal. Some of this persons earlier posts were about moving to Texas.....they didn't like it. So they are moving to San Diego instead to watch the home values drop.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoflight View Post
LOL!! Yeah what does he smoke...for the dope is obviously making him delirious, giddy and is oblivious to the housing situation in CA where people are wrecking themselves trying to pay for their high mortgages. Housing is a hot topic here for you can hear everyone discussing about it but no one is so deliriously in la-la land as this guy regarding "wealth" in CA. He seems to have a "Whittington Syndrome" - where he thinks the streets here are paved with gold and everyone is rolling around naked in bed stacked with cash, eat caviar for breakfast, drive Lamborghinis, gargle with Dom Perignon and own 200 foot yachts docked at the marina. Sheesh!!
That was funny !! I really did laugh out loud.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:44 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,443,587 times
Johnmarg recently had an opportunity to relocate with his current company I believe. The 2 places he had to choose from were Dallas and San Diego. Obviously you get more for your dollar and a respectable amount of financial freedom in Dallas, but then nobody will refute that San Diego has the best weather/outdoor life in the world. He then chose San Diego over Dallas. I think he visits this forum still to further justify his decision, which I don't think is a bad one. I agree that he should rent in San Diego for a year before buying because the market is still undecided and rents are reasonable (actually less here than Dallas, which is odd).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas