Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 05:12 PM

3 posts, read 6,975 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a house in this area that is either a foreclosure or enough of a fixer upper to make it challenging. Like everyone else I don't have a lot cash to throw around, but I'm hoping there's still a few not-yet-updated older homes in this area that can be had under $160K.

I'm also interested what the market is like in that neck of the woods. I know it's a popular place to be, but with everything that's happened the last three months I'm guessing it's slowed down a bit.

Anyone know a realtor that knows this area and can get me a deal? If all goes to plan I intend to buy/sell a few of these houses over the next two years.

Thanks.

MODERATOR NOTE: If you are recommending yourself or anyone you are associated with, or if you have less than 10 posts already, do so by Direct Message (DM) to the OP only; otherwise, your post WILL be deleted.

Per ToS,
recommendations are allowed for posters that have at least 10 posts only. One cannot recommend himself/herself. The only area where recommendations are NOT permitted is real estate, however general responses, such as "we have many helpful and knowledgeable real estate agents on this forum - just DM them" are fine.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-08-2009 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: mod note
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 06:00 PM

67 posts, read 259,088 times
I know of one house that sold for 175K on Morningside about a year ago and it was in very bad shape. They leveled it and built a new home. M street wise, I don't think you'll find a fixer upper for 160K.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:56 PM

3 posts, read 6,975 times
Looks like I'm a little late to the party for the M-Streets area. I know there are similar houses around Kidd Springs if I recall. Maybe I should look at the "next M-Streets"

Old 01-07-2009, 03:21 PM

308 posts, read 1,232,226 times
Lots alone (dirt only) in the M Streets still go for around $200k, even in this down market, so I don't think you will find a house there for $160k. Unfortunately, there are not too many decent places to live in Dallas City Limits for that price. The only one that I can think of is Little Forest Hills, but that's it. Everything else will be at least transitional or at the worst, downright scary.

Good luck.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:42 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,254,649 times
Steve,

The other hurdle you would have to ovrecome is secure financing for a fixer upper. Most homes in that condition in the M-Streets or anywhere else are very difficult to obtain financing for unless you are putting a sizable downpayment and have a squeeky clean credit history.

There is only one Prairie Style home in the M Streets right now that is an estate sale, priced below 170K and is a diamond in the rough. There are a few others close to this area but not in the immediate neighborhood.

Naima

Old 01-08-2009, 07:57 AM

67 posts, read 259,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdfw View Post
The only one that I can think of is Little Forest Hills, but that's it. Everything else will be at least transitional or at the worst, downright scary.

Good luck.
Excellent suggestion!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:07 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,689 times
A couple of severely transitional areas are Parkdale (is sometimes called the next M-Streets) and Peaks-Suburban.

Home ‎(Parkdale/Lawnview Association of Neighbors (PLAN)‎)

Peak's Addition Homeowners' Association
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: