Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2015, 12:45 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJAINKC View Post
I mentioned this on another thread a few years back - my first time to NorthPark(1965) - I totally lost my car and was so sure that it had been stolen! A nice security guard help me find it. I had moved from Kansas City a short time before that - we never had anything like that back then in KC - so big and beautiful. I am glad it is still around - SO MUCH of the Dallas I knew back in the 60's - 70"s is gone!
Shoot. I moved away from Dallas in 2000. In researching it for a possible move back, I'm discovering that much of what I knew as late as 2000-2001 is gone. Geez. It's like nothing lasts in Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 03:22 PM

11 posts, read 26,115 times
I have a brother still living in Dallas today, and he told me I would NEVER make it in the traffic there
I thought about moving back a couple of years ago, but I think I will stay put. It is NOT the same at all. I remember Dallas having a "kick ass" music scene back then also

Old 09-22-2015, 02:15 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJAINKC View Post
I remember Dallas having a "kick ass" music scene back then also
You might be surprised to find a lot of those old bands and musicians that used to make the music scene in Dallas really great are now in the PNW, Portland especially.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 13,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardofhOgZ View Post
Just found this place and read a few of the pages. Some comments/responses . . .

Diamond Jim's was in the building that formerly housed Whiskey River in the mid-70's; it became a Cowboy place about the time the Urban Cowboy craze started. I arrived in Dallas fresh out of college in late January of 1976, and I had a great time at many places. Probably the first Club I went to (with some friends I had met at "The Village", where I initially lived) was Ichabod's, a disco/bar on the SW corner of Old Town (it later became Cafe Dallas and had a nice run). Of course, there was the iconic "TGI Friday's anchoring the north end of that complex, and in between there were a couple of other places (I was trying to remember the sports-themed place in the same building as Ichabod's/Cafe Dallas in 1976 - it was tucked around the corner (the one where the infamous Tom Thumb used to be) and it had a person's name . . . a little 2-story place with a lot of Dallas Cowboy jersey's framed on the wall. Just can't remember the name any more.

And then, of course, there was "European Crossroads", home to the Number 3 Lift. There was another place directly south of there (in the same building) that later housed the Roxy, but I don't remember what it was in the mid-70's. To the east, there was the Beggar Club (believe it or not, one of the owners of that place is now running "Norma's Cafe" on Trinity Mills!), and by 1977 or 1978, The Bell Ringer came in and was one of my favorite places to go with friends on a weekend night. Bring your backgammon game (LOL!). At some point around then, Scotland Yard popped up facing NW Highway in that general area (I believe that building is now a strip joint).

A 1/2 mile or so down NW Highway to the east was a super popular spot named "Carlos and Pepe's". This one was wall-to-wall people every time I went there, which was good sometimes, and not-so-good others. It just depended what mood you were in! But always a rockin' party time there. And in 1977, a place opened on the N. side of European Crossroads (the side not facing NW Highway) named "Saturday's". It was only open for 2 or 3 years, but it was a little quieter and not as hectic as most of the EC scene, so it was good for a date as well. I particularly remember a first date with "someone special" that ended up there for drinks and dancing. It was in the early days of the Saturday Night Fever album and I still remember dancing to "Night Fever" there (it's funny the things you remember, isin't it?).

One of my very favorite places to go on dates, early on, was "The original Bobby McGhee's" in a little shopping center that I want to say was located near Abrams and Mockingbird (there was also a Pancho's all-you-can-eat restaurant in the shopping center that I'd go to sometimes when I was really hungry - still love their hot sopapillas with honey!). It was a reasonably priced and good restaurant with the (at the time) obligatory disco floor. There was another Bobby McGhee's in Arlington that I went to in the early 80's, but it was more of a bar/restaurant than the other way around. At that same time (early 80's) I found another place I liked to go on dates, Stuart Anderson's on Greenville over near Walnut Hill Lane. Another place with nice atmosphere, good food, reasonable prices and a nice dance floor.

In the early days, I went anywhere and everywhere there was a good time to be had. This include OZ over off of LBJ, near where the Galleria is today; and elan, located a little south of Lovers on Greenville, on the west side. Both of these were "membership clubs", but the fee was not that high. However, they did cater to - in general - a little more upscale clientele than, say, the #3 Lift. At least, WE thought so at the time! And then there was the Dallas Playboy Club, which I believe came online around 1978 or so. It was near the original Dallas Cowboys offices (before they moved to Valley Ranch), in a high-rise office tower on Central Express near Mockingbird (I want to say the address was "777" or something like that).

Oh - and another place I went on a few dates was a place called "Daddy's Money". There was one in Old Town, and another location in the LBJ corridor near the Toll Way (close to OZ).

Stirred some good memories typing this!
Diamond Jims was not where Whisky River was. It was in the same general parking lot. Does anyone remember what was after Whiskey River? it was a place called, I think, Omar's or Omar's Tent? After Omar's it was a record shop.

So much talent went through Whiskey River owned by a local attorney. Good friend managed it for a while. Hello Big Rob Buckman! Rob also managed Greenville Bar and Grill and was one of the first to open a place in Deep Elm. He way too early there for his and its time! Great guy and friend.

Tony Goble was the owner of Omar's. I think he and Phil Ware opened the Electric Circus on Travis. Tony was instrumental in other clubs in Dallas.

I cannot for life of me remember the name of the place that was also at Diamond Jims that had the belt ceiling fan system. But eventually it ended up Blackeyed Pea.

Before Ichabods in Old Town it was the Sailmaker.. Dave Foster was the manager and would love to see him again. Anyone know where he is today? The owners were an oil man from Houston Frank Waters, an attorney (and ex fbi) originally from Denton Cryl Pane (spelling?), Pat from Metarie La. They also owned Ichabods in the French Quarter now called Cats and also Ichabods Wharf on Lake Pontchartrain... hello to Mike Shelski ... Dave Foster was also the manager there.

And yes it was called HP Cassidy's around the corner owned by Johnnie Walker (I think Craig Morton was a partner - if not he and Johnnie were great friends and he was there on many meetings we had). Also Biff was a bartender there that opened Biff's up further north on Greenville. Mike Foster was there too.

Johnnie also owned Le Jardin... I think he lived on that street too.. in North Dallas. He still owns a restaurant in Dallas I think. what a great guy! fun stories about him too!

Speaking of Craig. He and Billy Bob Harris and Parks Bell opened Wellington's. What a great clean concept for Dallas. Tom Stubblefiled was the GM and he came from The Venetian Room and Hobo's in NY before that. more fun stories about them.. shout out to all the ex employees there.. remember the twins that worked the door (Robert and Philip Ray from TJ) and the McQuades at the bar... and Big Jim and and and and

One of the best complements I ever had (for my work) happened there. but this isn't about me...

Bob Lilly had a place called Bob Lilly's Other Place I think.. shout out to Bob! He was also a neighbor. shout out to the kids who are not ADULTS!

and what about The Dirt Dobber.. Bob took me there one night to teach me how to drink like a man! Hello Dobber Stevens!

Remember the Library on Greenville Avenue. Love's Theme by Barry White Orchestra was that year.

AHHHHHH Elan.. NOT ElanS! some of you might remember a bar tender by the name of Mark Cuban... really great staff... Hello to Candy Bates who also worked at Oz.

so many fond memories and I think it was the BEST of it's kind in Dallas. Wellingtons and Elan different in their ways but revolutionary in Dallas for "educated and class disco / restaurants" - don't forget the food!

hmmm Oz... 5* elegance club and restaurant... but missed in many ways...

Daddy's money... remember Meri Wilson (the telephone man song). RIP lady. what a great person. she was at both places Greenville Ave and LBJ.

Cowboy was not cowboyS..

After that it was Confetti and then R&R

Remember a nice young man that worked the door. Kevin Sorbo of Hercules fame??

Ooops... gonna be late for church... gotta run... lost more to add but feel free to drop me a line as well!

This has been fun and definitely causing me to scratch the grey matter!

Old 10-31-2015, 02:00 AM

2 posts, read 15,870 times
I lived in Garland '74-'76 and Greenville Ave was my main haunt. The Railhead, Vehons Oyster bar with the house phones on the tables to call chicks at other tables, The Cave just to name a few. I was in the Cave one night for a regular pool tourney and Jim Batchler, the owner and good friend, asked me for a favor. I worked for a digital watch company at the time and was wearing one of the LED watches. He wanted to give it to Ed Two Tall Jones at a after party at the club. I agreed if I could drink for free at his club for a month. Deal done and Ed showed up and a group of us partied most of the early morning. Much fun in those days. Lost track of Jim and would like to contact him if he is still with us. He was sure wild in those days!!

Old 11-01-2015, 07:06 PM

68 posts, read 111,850 times
I think Dallas is better now after the transplants. But then again I didnt move here til 2006.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 25,790 times
Anyone remember the C&W place Stampede near NW Hwy. What was the location? Can't remember

Old 11-04-2015, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 25,790 times
Default Joints around SMU

I remember a lot of students going to Gordo's. It was on Mockingbird east of Central Expwy as I remember. The often had live bands.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:44 PM

107 posts, read 198,501 times
Great thread, just ran across it.

I worked at many of the clubs mentioned here. Got of of school in Dec 76 and moved to Dallas. Partied at LeJardin, #3 Lift, Bellringer, Beggars and others then went to work for Playboy Club of Dallas in 77, not too long after it opened for Joe Pergola, Joe Cimino, Tony Signori, Tommy Labella and others.

I left Playboy to move up the road and went to work running the door at Papagayos for quite a long time before moving to management. Rod Keishnick was the GM of Rocky Mountain Land and Cattle, Duane Thompson was the owner.

Briefly went over to DaVincis for about half a year before Rod brought me back to Papagayos.

Worked at numerous other clubs over the years when they would need a bouncer/door guy

Old 12-12-2015, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 17,562 times
I came across this site by entering Diamond Jims dallas tx 1979. I worked there as a barback,bartender & then manager from 1979 until it closed in 84. I worked for Don Donnelly & the owner Jim Scott. I am now living in Grand Jct Colorado. I miss Dallas for the food & the people. The 1st time I ordered a chicken fried steak here it came out with brown gravy. They serve their enchiladas covered with lettuce. Reading these posts is like a trip down memory lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas