Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:35 AM

126 posts, read 340,662 times

Advertisements

Hello all:

We are looking to buy a new home (mostly build up) in the metroplex area. We really liked David Weekly in Castle Hills and they are a bit above our price range and when we made a decent offer, they did not even counter it.

We are looking at other builders and areas now. How are Portrait builders? Are they as good in terms of construction as David Weekly? Are they good builders in terms of what they offer in general?

One more question...does getting a corner plot (paying 10K more) yield better when the house is up for resale? Does the resale value improve with a corner plot or does it not matter?

Any info and time on this is really appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 09:39 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,459,633 times
Get a realtor and use him / her to make an offer on the David Weekly home.

They make excellent homes.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:27 PM

10 posts, read 27,768 times
If you aren't set on Castle Hills, you might just look at another Weekley neighborhood with the models you like. For example, they build one called "Spriggs" in Castle Hills starting at around $430K, and the EXACT SAME HOUSE is available in Capella Park starting at $273K.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:22 PM

63 posts, read 366,219 times
Paying more for a corner lot in a planned neighborhood does not get your more resale value from an appraisal stand point however it can add something unique to your home that may help it sell faster then the competition that do not have a corner. David Weekley is a very reputable builder, I would also recommend Highland/Huntington Homes. I purchased my Highland just two years ago and was able to negotiate $45k off.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:29 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,340,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyqb View Post
We are looking to buy a new home (mostly build up) in the metroplex area. We really liked David Weekly in Castle Hills and they are a bit above our price range and when we made a decent offer, they did not even counter it.
Demand is still running pretty well in CH, so Weekley doesn't have a lot of incentive to cut prices - especially on build-to-suit (which I assume you are looking at). They don't have an excessive number of spec homes on the ground at this point either, but you might consider those if you haven't already - they might be more inclined to deal.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:12 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all your info and replies!

Walker..if ya do not mind, 45K off how much? In what community?

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2008, 03:07 PM

37,309 posts, read 60,088,413 times
get a realtor--it won't cost you anything--tell the realtor you will pay a cash bonus if price is negotiated in YOUR favor to what you are comfortable with...

Old 10-18-2008, 03:15 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,459,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
get a realtor--it won't cost you anything--tell the realtor you will pay a cash bonus if price is negotiated in YOUR favor to what you are comfortable with...

Why pay a cash bonus? They make anywhere from 3% to 6% if they sell the house to you. They have to make it a deal you are comfortable with to sell the house. They don't need any incentive to get you the deal you want, that's how they make money.

I suggested a realtor because they know exactly what can be negotiated on a house in a given development. It's not as if you pay their fee, either. Plus, it's easier to have someone else take care of all the paperwork for you.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:00 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,292,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyqb View Post
Hello all:

How low was your offer... That is very unusual that they didn't counter unless you really lowballed them.

We are looking at other builders and areas now. How are Portrait builders? Are they as good in terms of construction as David Weekly? Are they good builders in terms of what they offer in general?

Portrait homes build some nice homes and they actually have been putting a lot of items considered upgrades by other builders as a standard such as iron spindles on stairs, granite countertops, stainless appliances.

One more question...does getting a corner plot (paying 10K more) yield better when the house is up for resale? Does the resale value improve with a corner plot or does it not matter?

10K premium for a corner lot is extravagant IMO unless it's really large and comes with trees. If you want to spend a premium on a lot, look for a cul-de-sac or a deeper lot. You really don't get the money back from a corner lot. It really is simply for enjoyment of not having a neighbor on one side especially if the homes are really close to each other.

Any info and time on this is really appreciated!!
Where are you looking to commute to and price range... may there are some other communities that we can suggest if you elaborate more on your needs.

Naima

Old 10-20-2008, 06:38 AM

Default Offer

Hello All:

Thanks for your replies Naima!

How low was your offer... That is very unusual that they didn't counter unless you really lowballed them
The price I was quoted was 328K. I asked for 315K. I am not sure if this is low balling. If it were too less to accept, I'd expect them to comeback and give me an amount that they would not accept under, which could gimme a ballpark number to work with.

Portrait homes build some nice homes and they actually have been putting a lot of items considered upgrades by other builders as a standard such as iron spindles on stairs, granite countertops, stainless appliances.
- Thanks for this review! Yeah, I just wanted to know if they were in the sam eleague as David Weekly in quality and style they use to build.

Many Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas