Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 02:47 PM

8 posts, read 12,764 times

Advertisements

in paradise destination florida than in... 'been here all my life' texas. dallas to be exact has been home for over 40 yrs and really dreaming of a tropical destination in florida. So help.....a single lady soon to be senior looking for affordable housing, close to the beach (maybe), friendly folks-cost of living affordable...am i asking too much? texas abounds with nice friendly people, affordable housing but you are really 'landlocked' here. It is really all about, eat shop and drink here. ONCE u see the emerald green waters in destin & other parts of florida u will never return to the muddy water of our lakes!!your electric bills in the summer will be outrageous and the property taxes are really high. in august & sept most will be heading to colorado to escape the ungodly heat!! its nothing to get a $300-500 month electric bill in a energy efficient 2-story home with temps in the 90's at 9;00pm are normal. July, aug & sept is unbearable,relentless.... Walking your dogs is out of the question during the days and mostly done late at night when it cools down to 85-94 degrees!! SO... if u dont mind being landlocked and LOVE the HEAT...u will love it here!!!! GREAT SHOPPING GREAT FOOD GREAT PEOPLE!!
Back to florida move... if u were to choose destin, ftlauderdale, tampa for best all round living environment, what would it be?? how would u rate???i appreciate so much any advise! have visited briefly destin & ft lauderdale and heard good things about tampa but never been there. Want the change to be a .good one
kricket

Last edited by kricket 02; 12-15-2009 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: mis typed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 02:09 AM

3 posts, read 5,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kricket 02 View Post
in paradise destination florida than in... 'been here all my life' texas. dallas to be exact has been home for over 40 yrs and really dreaming of a tropical destination in florida. So help.....a single lady soon to be senior looking for affordable housing, close to the beach (maybe), friendly folks-cost of living affordable...am i asking too much? texas abounds with nice friendly people, affordable housing but you are really 'landlocked' here. It is really all about, eat shop and drink here. ONCE u see the emerald green waters in destin & other parts of florida u will never return to the muddy water of our lakes!!your electric bills in the summer will be outrageous and the property taxes are really high. in august & sept most will be heading to colorado to escape the ungodly heat!! its nothing to get a $300-500 month electric bill in a energy efficient 2-story home with temps in the 90's at 9;00pm are normal. July, aug & sept is unbearable,relentless.... Walking your dogs is out of the question during the days and mostly done late at night when it cools down to 85-94 degrees!! SO... if u dont mind being landlocked and LOVE the HEAT...u will love it here!!!! GREAT SHOPPING GREAT FOOD GREAT PEOPLE!!
Back to florida move... if u were to choose destin, ftlauderdale, tampa for best all round living environment, what would it be?? how would u rate???i appreciate so much any advise! have visited briefly destin & ft lauderdale and heard good things about tampa but never been there. Want the change to be a .good one
kricket
----
You should submit this question on the tampa Florida forums

Old 12-23-2009, 07:19 PM

398 posts, read 729,247 times
Quote:
kricket
Hot, humid weather, high taxes, high electric bills. Aren't you talking about Florida? Believe me, the grass is not greener on this side.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:14 AM

67 posts, read 177,694 times
Default Florida vs Texas

They both have different types of heat. I lived in Los Fresnos, Texas for about 8 months, it's nice but I just prefer Florida... Florida to me seems to be the prettier state.. Don't get me wrong, San Antonio has it's beautiful parts, but nothing touches Orlando, FL to me... Florida is extremely muggy, Texas has dry heat, I prefer the heat in Texas through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger92557 View Post
I was born and raised in California, Southern California. I was originally going to move to Jacksonville Florida, But I have fallen in love with the areas surrounding Fort Worth. I have been all over Florida, Texas and California and in my opinion Texas is better. The home prices are fantastic. The people are friendly, outgoing and laid back. And for someone who has lived the last 15 years where being white and born in the USA made you a minority it is nice to move to an area where the majority share the same ethnicity and culture. I know that is not politically correct but freedom of speech is supposed to be one of our rights.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:17 AM

67 posts, read 177,694 times
Default I live in Tampa, FL

Hello. I live in Tampa, FL if you have any questions i'd be more then happy to help you contact me at tainowarrior203@gmail.com
take care..

Quote:
kricket

Old 07-14-2010, 06:25 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,503 times
this thread is ancient.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:30 AM

142 posts, read 362,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABMER View Post
Hot, humid weather, high taxes, high electric bills. Aren't you talking about Florida? Believe me, the grass is not greener on this side.

I lived here for a long time, moved to South Florida in 2007 then came back here to DFW in 09, all due to job transfers. My electric bills here are much more expensive, water, phone bill, is all 2x here what it was there. Sales tax at 6% makes a big differenceto the 8.25% here.. From what I've seen in tax records, the property taxes are about the same, I paid almost 2K on a 950 square foot place here in the Metroplex. I'll take the quality of life in Florida any day. I'm trying to go back, especially since the Florida real estate is 1/2 of what it was when I went in 2007, 180K gets me a 2200 square foot house 30 minutes from the beach, with all of the upgrades AND a yard with a pool, plus room for the dogs. Here, 180K gets me 35 miles out, in a box, with no yard

I guess since I've lived in both, I find DFW much more polluted, dirty air, rude drivers, rude people, you drive 6 hours to a beach and it's dirty, 6 hours the other way you are in the dust bowl.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:51 AM

34 posts, read 157,368 times
Wow... I haven't been on this website in almost 3 years and not in this thread in more than 6 years. I read all the way through the thread and yeah, it sure is an interesting one and yes, it is very ancient. I doubt if any of the original people are still around and that's ok. I'm probably only passing through myself but I had to do a follow up post. DH and I are still here in the Dallas metroplex, actually in the same location as when we arrived almost 9 years ago. But that's going to change soon enough. When we first moved to Dallas from the SF bay area in California, I was so very thrilled to see the friendliness and great attitude was still here. When we walked into a store people greeted me and were visibly interested in how I was doing. Now, you might get a "Hi, welcome to (insert store name here)." The drivers are beyond unreal and the surge in crime in the metroplex is way more than I can believe. (Like the guy who tried to take out the Dallas PD with his armored van yesterday. :O)
For a time there were almost 30,000 people a month moving to North Texas and it shows. Now they are getting ready to widen the Dallas North Tollway as well as the Bush Turnpike and are raising the NTTA fees on July 1st. Road rage is at new heights and people are shooting others at an alarming rate. It's not the same area anymore. Too many people. DH and I have decided it's time to move on,... again. Where this time? Not a clue. I do think we'll head west though... not all the way to California, (been there, did that already) but maybe part way.

Anyway, had to stop in and say 'Howdy'.

Lany

Old 06-15-2015, 06:54 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lany View Post
Wow... I haven't been on this website in almost 3 years and not in this thread in more than 6 years. I read all the way through the thread and yeah, it sure is an interesting one and yes, it is very ancient. I doubt if any of the original people are still around and that's ok. I'm probably only passing through myself but I had to do a follow up post. DH and I are still here in the Dallas metroplex, actually in the same location as when we arrived almost 9 years ago. But that's going to change soon enough. When we first moved to Dallas from the SF bay area in California, I was so very thrilled to see the friendliness and great attitude was still here. When we walked into a store people greeted me and were visibly interested in how I was doing. Now, you might get a "Hi, welcome to (insert store name here)." The drivers are beyond unreal and the surge in crime in the metroplex is way more than I can believe. (Like the guy who tried to take out the Dallas PD with his armored van yesterday. :O)
For a time there were almost 30,000 people a month moving to North Texas and it shows. Now they are getting ready to widen the Dallas North Tollway as well as the Bush Turnpike and are raising the NTTA fees on July 1st. Road rage is at new heights and people are shooting others at an alarming rate. It's not the same area anymore. Too many people. DH and I have decided it's time to move on,... again. Where this time? Not a clue. I do think we'll head west though... not all the way to California, (been there, did that already) but maybe part way.

Anyway, had to stop in and say 'Howdy'.

Lany

Most of that seems awfully emotional and no one can reasonably judge anything from individual happenings/news stories.

1. Crime in the northern 'burbs is exceptionally low.
2. In 2014 Dallas had its lowest murder rate sine 1930.
3. Where did your get the data for the, "alarming rate" of shootings?

If you want to leave by all means leave but try to stick with verifiable facts.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:59 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Most of that seems awfully emotional and no one can reasonably judge anything from individual happenings/news stories.

1. Crime in the northern 'burbs is exceptionally low.
2. In 2014 Dallas had its lowest murder rate sine 1930.
3. Where did your get the data for the, "alarming rate" of shootings?

If you want to leave by all means leave but try to stick with verifiable facts.
^^^ this.

Plus, NTTA raises rates every other year. Nothing special about 7/1/15's rate hike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas