Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 02:51 PM

177 posts, read 857,239 times

Advertisements

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/13/pf/s...hest/index.htm

According to this article and several other sites, $100k salary in Dallas is better than $200k salary in NY.

Is that really true. People who have lived in both these places, do you really find that difference ?

Old 02-02-2007, 03:05 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,949,730 times
From my point of view it is an exaggeration. They are different places that offer different things. It would cost a lot to have a Texas sized house in NY, and cost alot to see a Broadway play when living in Dallas. Without a doubt NYC is much more expensive than Dallas, but only double if you don't adjust to the environment.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:03 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,430,029 times
This is true. I think they get carried away with that median home price they always refer to.

I know that I make a little more in Dallas than in Socal.

In Socal I lived in a home that was appropriate to my income (1987, 1900 sq/ft, 4Bdr/2Ba), now in Dallas I do the same (new construction and a little larger). In the end, my mortgage + property taxes + insurance ends up being about the same (home price cuts in 1/2, property taxes double). The catch is that when you relocate to another state, you are hoping to avoid going lateral, so you end up buying something that feels more like something you can't get where your leaving. Sure, I really moved for the career opportunity, but I also have to make sure the family is getting an upgrade as well. I also now get to explore having things I never dreamed of in San Diego, like 'new' or a 'guest room' and 3-car garage. If I could have found something smaller and cheaper that was still new, I probably would have bought it, but most of the homes out here the size of my home in Socal are either starter homes or in areas I don't want to live. In fact, when you try to buy something small in a nice area say like SW Frisco, you actually pay alot more per square/ft than somehting larger. It seems smaller more custom homes are in high demand.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:04 AM

177 posts, read 857,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
This is true. I think they get carried away with that median home price they always refer to.

I know that I make a little more in Dallas than in Socal.

In Socal I lived in a home that was appropriate to my income (1987, 1900 sq/ft, 4Bdr/2Ba), now in Dallas I do the same (new construction and a little larger). In the end, my mortgage + property taxes + insurance ends up being about the same (home price cuts in 1/2, property taxes double). The catch is that when you relocate to another state, you are hoping to avoid going lateral, so you end up buying something that feels more like something you can't get where your leaving. Sure, I really moved for the career opportunity, but I also have to make sure the family is getting an upgrade as well. I also now get to explore having things I never dreamed of in San Diego, like 'new' or a 'guest room' and 3-car garage. If I could have found something smaller and cheaper that was still new, I probably would have bought it, but most of the homes out here the size of my home in Socal are either starter homes or in areas I don't want to live. In fact, when you try to buy something small in a nice area say like SW Frisco, you actually pay alot more per square/ft than somehting larger. It seems smaller more custom homes are in high demand.
socketz,

so are you saying you like being in Dallas - its an upgrade for you - you got more house and surprisingly, same or better salary. So the 2:1 ratio may be exaggerated, but at the end of the day, one is better off in a city like dallas than NY or SoCal ?

Old 02-03-2007, 08:09 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,915,317 times
I don't think it's exaggerated much, if any at all. Just look at the cost of a two bedroom apt. in NY and one in Dallas; it's probably around twice as much. Food wouldn't be twice as much, but there are issues with parking in NY and such as well.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:40 AM

313 posts, read 1,716,494 times
I'm not there yet.. we are in the process but I can say that here in the DC suburbs there are many townhouses that sell for 500-600k

Old 02-03-2007, 02:09 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,430,029 times
The home I bought in Dallas (Darling) is in a different league compared to my home in Socal, which was fine. Seriously, the Semi-custom Dallas builders often mentioned on the forums here build an incredible home.

So yes, while I 1/2'd my home cost and doubled my prop taxes (i.e. net is about the same), I'm still getting about 4x the quality of home as compared to what I had...so it's not a fair comparison. I could have went with a mid-range builder like DR Horton, Meritage, Lennar, etc and saved alot more.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:41 AM

62 posts, read 283,266 times
Default cost of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob View Post
http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/13/pf/s...hest/index.htm

According to this article and several other sites, $100k salary in Dallas is better than $200k salary in NY.

Is that really true. People who have lived in both these places, do you really find that difference ?
Two years ago we left California with a 100k salary and 4 children. My son had to sleep in the living room because we couldn't afford a bedroom for him . I drove an 11 year old pickup and my wife drove a tiny Nissan Sentra . We rarely went out to eat and there was always a shortage of money . Now we are in the DFW area with the same salary and live like royality . We have a huge home for all the kids with a swimming pool. We paid off the balance on a 2005 Yukon in the first year . My wife bought a Chevy Impala last year and we take the kids out to the movies and out to eat on a regular basis .
The commute is much less, the gasoline is $1.93 instead of $2.55, and the electicity is 11 cents instead of 24 cents per kwh .

Old 02-04-2007, 01:09 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,680,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javak View Post
Two years ago we left California with a 100k salary and 4 children. My son had to sleep in the living room because we couldn't afford a bedroom for him . I drove an 11 year old pickup and my wife drove a tiny Nissan Sentra . We rarely went out to eat and there was always a shortage of money . Now we are in the DFW area with the same salary and live like royality . We have a huge home for all the kids with a swimming pool. We paid off the balance on a 2005 Yukon in the first year . My wife bought a Chevy Impala last year and we take the kids out to the movies and out to eat on a regular basis .
The commute is much less, the gasoline is $1.93 instead of $2.55, and the electicity is 11 cents instead of 24 cents per kwh .
Good for you javak ...that's what I like to hear!! We've been really happy with our move from San Diego as well. Doesn't it give you peace of mind not to live paycheck to paycheck and really have something to show for all your hard work? We are in that same income bracket and it felt like nothing in San Diego.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:57 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,083,660 times
Great posts. This is the main reason why I cant wait to leave south FL, the cost of living is insane with those house prices, taxes and insurance! Other things are more expensive as well, even the food is cheaper up north! I am self employed and make the same money regardless of where ill settle so I am weighing location vs. cost of living. I can choose a more desirable location with more expensive houses and cost of living but then ill be living very modestly compared to a more rural location where I can enjoy a nice big house and splurge on my hobbies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas