Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 11:52 AM

690 posts, read 292,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Phahaha I was wondering where you’ve been. The response sounds about right too Lmao

I do remember them advocating for funding in this upcoming bond to start work on the International Commons — the Central Park that’s the centerpiece of the development.

And...?? did the proposed funding make it into the bond issue package?

EDIT: Found it. It looks like the bond package (pending the vote) includes $20 Million for land acquisition for the "Dallas International District" (LMAO at the "Dallas International District")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 11:57 AM

14 posts, read 4,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Per the North Dallas Chamber, they expect this to be Texas' first "International District."

Umm, have they not been to southwest Houston? It's actually named the International District and has been for a long time...and furthermore lives up to it.
I just posted the update. Not trying to take anything away from Houston.

Congratulations Houston.

Old 04-19-2024, 12:01 PM

4,704 posts, read 2,882,880 times
So what is it that makes this ”The International District” other than putting a sign out front with that phrase on it?

And 'tain't ANY ”midtown” about it, either.

The marketeering poop is getting so deep in here I may soon have to set aside my chest waders and go full dry suit and SCUBA.

Old 04-19-2024, 06:44 PM

656 posts, read 1,430,823 times
Quote:
Posted some of this in another thread. Old to some and new to others....

I like to think of the high-rise infill as 3 clusters. Red circle on pic is North Uptown (West village) / Cityplace - with the Texas' only subway and streetcar station, Blue Circle - Turtle Creek/Oak Lawn, and the Green Circle - southern part of Uptown, Victory Park, and the Harwood District. This is where the vast majority of the high-rise development is taking place within Dallas. The picture quality isn’t the greatest (and it’s thousands of feet in the air), but it does show the high-rise infill and density that’s being built.

Just showing one project for each circle (that I’m sure was mentioned previously) to show locations

Red circle - The Central high-rise mixed-use development (I am not sure if y'all can see it clearly, but the high-rise adjacent to Cityplace Tower is the first tower in the development. It has topped out and you can kind of see the streets they've built too) — U/C
Green Circle - Bank of America Tower at Parkside Uptown (450 ft) — U/C
Blue Circle - Four Seasons Turtle Creek (464 ft) — planned
Yellow Dot - Cityplace Tower, just to show position in the skyline in the air

What all of that looks like on the ground, looking toward downtown from the West on the Hampton Rd Bridge over I-30, just outside of downtown

Yellow Dot - Cityplace Tower, just to show position in the skyline on ground level.
These pics really show the infill progress that Dallas has building over the last several years I moved here in 2011 from Atlanta(originally from NC) and every since then, they have been steadily building up a lot of mid to high rise buildings. This is a good thing in my opinion. With all that said, I think Dallas is prime for a skyscraper or two to refine the skyline. I’m talking one that’s a new tallest and maybe another 700 footer to complement it! I’d go so far to say it will happen in the next 5 years!

Old 05-04-2024, 12:54 PM

6,781 posts, read 10,050,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
These pics really show the infill progress that Dallas has building over the last several years I moved here in 2011 from Atlanta(originally from NC) and every since then, they have been steadily building up a lot of mid to high rise buildings. This is a good thing in my opinion. With all that said, I think Dallas is prime for a skyscraper or two to refine the skyline. I’m talking one that’s a new tallest and maybe another 700 footer to complement it! I’d go so far to say it will happen in the next 5 years!
I hope so!!!! I love skyscrapers and wouldn't be mad if that happens...but if it doesn't, I'd be fine with the infill that's happening now.

Update about previous projects mentioned, somewhere in this thread

Plans move ahead for three Knox District towers set to flank U.S. 75
The Knox Promenade development has taken another step forward.

Quote:
A three-tower development planned for Dallas’ Knox-Henderson neighborhood is moving ahead.

Knox Promenade, a project from Dallas’ Stockdale Investment Group and Houston-based Hines, will replace retail buildings and parking lot space on the approximately three-acre block between McKinney Avenue and U.S. Highway 75 at Armstrong Avenue.

Dallas’ city plan commission on Thursday approved development plans that call for a multifamily building, an office building and a senior living and memory care building, with the inclusion of an existing retail or restaurant building.
Dallas-based architecture firm GFF and Kohn Pedersen Fox out of New York are behind the design.

Knox Promenade’s tallest building — the multifamily tower - could rise as high as 399 feet. That structure is slated for the corner of Armstrong and McKinney Avenues.
Preston Center redo draws inspiration from Dallas’ West Village
A high-density zoning application is moving ahead.

Quote:
Ramrock Real Estate LLC seeks to add office and residential towers on the southern swath of the block, which is bordered by Berkshire Lane, Westchester Drive, Luther Lane and Douglas Avenue. The land also includes the retail building Preston Center Pavilion, with tenants such as Target, CVS and Marshall’s, and its parking garage.

Dallas’ City Plan Commission on Thursday approved the zoning application, which would allow the project to reach as high as 225 feet and includes a mixed-income housing component.

The project must still be approved by Dallas City Council.

This isn’t the only project seeking to bump up density in Preston Center.

The block immediately across Luther Lane from the site could one day hold a pair of towers where a Hopdoddy Burger Bar and medical office space, among other storefronts, currently sit. The buildings, developed separately, would each be more than 300 feet tall.

Love that Preston Center redevelopment is finally moving forward, even though the Preston Center parking garage was suppose to have been redone years ago. The City and community wanted a park on top with an underground garage but property owners pretty much have stalled that. They want more development instead. I believe Preston Center is the only area in the core between Oak Lawn and Loop 12/NW Hwy, that can get any high-rise development. The Park Cities between it is nothing but mansions and estates.

Old 05-04-2024, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
And...?? did the proposed funding make it into the bond issue package?

EDIT: Found it. It looks like the bond package (pending the vote) includes $20 Million for land acquisition for the "Dallas International District" (LMAO at the "Dallas International District")
Here’s a video from Scott Beck himself explaining the delays and what to expect moving forward. A lot of this info is new to me. I just came across this today. This is from October 2023

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=kW8QbsN6Vds

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=pCq9k0B2-NU

Old 05-04-2024, 05:12 PM

656 posts, read 1,430,823 times
Quote:
I hope so!!!! I love skyscrapers and wouldn't be mad if that happens...but if it doesn't, I'd be fine with the infill that's happening now.

Update about previous projects mentioned, somewhere in this thread

Plans move ahead for three Knox District towers set to flank U.S. 75
The Knox Promenade development has taken another step forward.

Preston Center redo draws inspiration from Dallas’ West Village
A high-density zoning application is moving ahead.

Love that Preston Center redevelopment is finally moving forward, even though the Preston Center parking garage was suppose to have been redone years ago. The City and community wanted a park on top with an underground garage but property owners pretty much have stalled that. They want more development instead. I believe Preston Center is the only area in the core between Oak Lawn and Loop 12/NW Hwy, that can get any high-rise development. The Park Cities between it is nothing but mansions and estates.
Man I want to personally thank you for starting this thread. It’s hard to find places to follow what’s going on in Dallas. When I was in Atlanta, so many more people were active on various forums. Here in Dallas, there are far less people active! A lot of people assume there is nothing going on here which is not the case at all!

Old 05-05-2024, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
Man I want to personally thank you for starting this thread. It’s hard to find places to follow what’s going on in Dallas. When I was in Atlanta, so many more people were active on various forums. Here in Dallas, there are far less people active! A lot of people assume there is nothing going on here which is not the case at all!
Thank, ParaguaneroSwag. I just copied

But for real, I feel the same way! People think nothing is happening because of that. This is thread is helping to dispel that myth.

Forgot to mention this one. This big new County Parking garage that was just completed.

New Dallas County parking garage will serve as base for hotel
A new hospitality property near the Dallas County Courthouse will rise in the second phase of development.

Quote:
The development, built on the former WFAA Plaza site, features ground-level restaurant and retail space and 1,228 spaces pre-wired for EV charging. Its roof is solar-panel-ready.

Dallas-based architecture firm Corgan thought up the sustainable first phase of design and is behind its second phase as well.

Next up for the site will be a 15-story hotel. Structural upgrades constructed during the first phase will aid in the hospitality project, which is set to capture anticipated visitors with the convention center’s upgrades.

Old 05-15-2024, 05:46 PM

Posted this in another thread…old to some and new to others

You can’t see 23Springs (399 ft) and 2811 Maple (372 ft) rising. Probably still too short. Most of what’s north of downtown is height restricted because of Love Field.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=x_mAr...ature=youtu.be

Just some screenshots taken from the video and a few labeled project sites that can be seen

-Black Arrow is Cityplace Tower - 560 ft - tallest building outside of downtown Dallas. Right next to it is (which I’ve mentioned a few times before on this sub) a $2.5 billion mixed use high-rise development that is going up.

-Yellow arrow is the Novel Turtle Creek, the last high-rise before it transitions out of the Dallas city limits into two completely independent very wealth enclaves (Highland Park, TX and University Park, TX) just 4 miles north of the downtown proper. It’s nothing but around 6 sq mi of mansions and estates there. So, it basically halts any high-rise or urban development from spreading further north.

-Orange Arrow is the Preston Tower Condominiums and the first high-rise over 300 ft back within the Dallas city limits, right on the border of the “Park Cities” enclave. It’s right on Loop 12/Northwest Highway in the Preston Center area. The core of the city is within Loop 12.

-Blue box is the site for the additional development phases for the adjacent office building.

-Red Box is the site for a recently announced 23 story 497 unit apartment tower

-Pink dot is the site for the planned Four Seasons Turtle Creek at 35 stories 464 ft

-Purple dot is the planned Chalk Hill development. Two towers 340 ft and 385 ft.

-Light blue dot is the planned Harwood No.15 at 23 stories.

-Orange Box is the planned Field St District high-rise mixed use development. In the 80s, during Dallas’ skyscraper boom, a 100 story tower was planned for that site. It was gonna be slightly shorter than the Sears Tower in Chicago. Like most projects during the 80s crash, either it was killed or never fully completed.

Old 05-16-2024, 09:37 AM

4,704 posts, read 2,882,880 times
A 300 foot high rise at Preston and Northwest Highway is going to really make the "infinite intersection" even worse. Any time between 6 am and 8 pm , the whole length of Northwest Highway between Greenville and the toll road is just a no-go area. Not because of crime, but because if you get on the road there you "won't go". That area does NOT need more cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas