Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 09:15 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times

Advertisements

I took a poll and they all said yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2023, 09:42 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
OP keeps posting about DFW is inferior to Chicago and other places but is still here.

We enjoyed out time in Texas, made good friends and SO's career moved us to OK.
DFW isn’t inferior to Chicagoland. Both metro areas have pros and cons, it’s just a matter of which one you prefer based on your own personal life. I will say that for me personally, Chicago is a better fit as DFW caters more towards the suburban family life too much. For people who like to go out and do stuff and don’t have children, this area can be kind of boring. Fortunately I live near the airport so I’m just a quick flight away for weekend trips.

On another note, one thing I have noticed is that most people hate Illinois, even people that love Chicago. They will say how great of a city Chicago is but you never hear anything positive about Illinois. In DFW it’s the opposite. People go on and on about how great Texas is but there doesn’t seem to be any local pride in DFW unless it relates to sports.

Old 06-15-2023, 10:18 AM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
I have friends and family who live in Dallas, Arlington, and Fort Worth. The people who live in Fort Worth and Arlington seem to be much happier with where they live than my friends and family who live in Dallas. The people I know in Dallas are overall more stressed out than my friends and family in Fort Worth and Arlington.

Old 06-15-2023, 10:45 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
For people who like to go out and do stuff and don’t have children, this area can be kind of boring. Fortunately I live near the airport so I’m just a quick flight away for weekend trips.
That's not been my experience at all. My husband and I don't have children, and we are always going out and doing things. We attend festivals, go to museums, watch sporting events and concerts, go to bars, restaurants and wineries, etc.

You couldn't make me live in Chicago if you gave me the house for free. First of all, the winters are too cold and I hate snow. Second, the politics in Illinois and Chicago are not to my liking at all. Third, the taxes in Illinois are outrageous. Nope, nope and nope.

Old 06-15-2023, 10:42 PM

786 posts, read 1,221,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
At least in my circles it seems like people don’t actually enjoy living here. The locals who were born and raised here are fed up with traffic and increasing cost of living and talk about leaving. The people who moved here from other places only did so because of a job and not because they really had a strong desire to move to Dallas.

There is lots of pride for Texas but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of city pride anywhere in DFW like you’d see in other areas.
I liked it in the early 2000s. Felt like a big city, but one you could access fairly easily. Trading up to a better home on the salaries in this region felt very attainable.

With the never-ending sprawl and influx of people, it has basically become California 2.0 now. There is much less livability, cars out at all hours 7 days per week, and home prices surged to the point it’s not longer aspirational to get something better on the salaries paid in this region of the country.

There aren’t enough redeeming qualities left to offset this, and more people coming in daily.

I think it’s great for those coming from overseas with family wealth , or from a higher-cost locale where the higher prices here don’t pose as much of an issue. Otherwise, no, it’s not pleasant now.

Old 06-16-2023, 05:47 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I have friends and family who live in Dallas, Arlington, and Fort Worth. The people who live in Fort Worth and Arlington seem to be much happier with where they live than my friends and family who live in Dallas. The people I know in Dallas are overall more stressed out than my friends and family in Fort Worth and Arlington.
...Cap

You don't like Dallas so you think it's okay to pretend your family represents EVERYONE who lives in Dallas.

Old 06-16-2023, 06:47 AM

674 posts, read 333,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
I liked it in the early 2000s. Felt like a big city, but one you could access fairly easily. Trading up to a better home on the salaries in this region felt very attainable.

With the never-ending sprawl and influx of people, it has basically become California 2.0 now. There is much less livability, cars out at all hours 7 days per week, and home prices surged to the point it’s not longer aspirational to get something better on the salaries paid in this region of the country.

There aren’t enough redeeming qualities left to offset this, and more people coming in daily.

I think it’s great for those coming from overseas with family wealth , or from a higher-cost locale where the higher prices here don’t pose as much of an issue. Otherwise, no, it’s not pleasant now.
This is a perfect description of how I feel about this region.

Well said.

Old 06-16-2023, 07:13 AM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
...Cap

You don't like Dallas so you think it's okay to pretend your family represents EVERYONE who lives in Dallas.
I didn't say I disliked Dallas. I'm very pro-Dallas. I also didn't say that represents everyone in Dallas. I understand how statistics work. OTOH you don't seem to be able to handle any criticism of Dallas.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:09 AM

533 posts, read 642,081 times
I really like living here. It helps that I like warm weather and actually look forward to the summer and the heat. The balmy nights, sound of cicadas, cool drink by the patio just has a relaxing feel to it. It doesn't have much in the way of natural beauty but the well kept suburbs, great schools, decent cost of living, amenities, makes it a great practical place to live - especially for families.

Old 06-16-2023, 09:03 AM

869 posts, read 318,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I didn't say I disliked Dallas. I'm very pro-Dallas. I also didn't say that represents everyone in Dallas. I understand how statistics work. OTOH you don't seem to be able to handle any criticism of Dallas.

AT. ALL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas