Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 08:24 PM

36 posts, read 42,414 times

Advertisements

Both of them are terrible places to live, but I would have to say that Desoto is much worse than Garland. That has been a lot of crimes happening in the past couple of months, just look elsewhere like Plano, Frisco, Allen, and Mckinney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2022, 08:42 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,114,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiwaDDR View Post
Both of them are terrible places to live, but I would have to say that Desoto is much worse than Garland. That has been a lot of crimes happening in the past couple of months, just look elsewhere like Plano, Frisco, Allen, and Mckinney.
I think it’s pretty clear you are uninformed regarding the Garland neighborhood they are looking at. The Spring Park neighborhood they are looking at is a very nice neighborhood and much nicer than many Allen, Plano, and McKinney neighborhoods.

I am not familiar with DeSoto overall, so I won’t comment on that aspect.

Old 06-01-2022, 10:52 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,107,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxlfman90 View Post
Hi, there. We are new to DFW area and are moving soon from the Denver area because we both have family here and we felt it was important for us to be closer to family. We are both in our late 20s, I'm half Latino, half White, my wife is Indian and we recently welcomed our first child. We put in offers to 2 homes that got accepted, one in Desoto (Briarwood Park near Belt Line/Cockrell Hill) and one in Garland (Springpark Neighborhood near Jupiter/Campbell). It is important for us to be close to ethnic stores/restaurants. We both would work in the Uptown area of Dallas so commute isn't an issue. Both homes are 2 stories in kept up neighborhoods with the one in Garland being (slightly) older. The home in Desoto is newer and bigger for the same price. We are on the fence because both homes look nice. What I am wondering is where would we best fit in, how are the school districts, how are the people, and the amount of stuff to do in the areas?
Based on your criteria, I agree with the other recommendations stating that Garland is the better option. I lived in DeSoto for 16 years (1990-2006). The city is well-kept and overall, a decent place to live. I'm familiar with the Briarwood Park neighborhood and it is one of the best areas in the city of DeSoto. A safe, quiet area with beautiful homes.

The schools are an issue, though. I'm actually a product of DeSoto ISD schools and received a good education there. I don't have any children, but if I did, they would not attend any of the district's schools at this time. Public charter schools, private schools, or nearby school districts that accept out-of-district transfers are all better options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
I think it’s pretty clear you are uninformed regarding the Garland neighborhood they are looking at. The Spring Park neighborhood they are looking at is a very nice neighborhood and much nicer than many Allen, Plano, and McKinney neighborhoods.
Agreed
Blanket statements should be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Acntx; 06-01-2022 at 11:41 PM..

Old 06-02-2022, 12:55 AM

17 posts, read 14,481 times
Just chiming in to say that I agree with the earlier poster that Irving or somewhere mid-cities seems like a more natural fit for your diverse family & better commute-wise, too. That having been said, Garland seems a strong choice. Plenty of folks will sing the praises of Plano, Allen or McKinney, but the further north you go, the lay of the land becomes whiter and more Republican, if that matters to you.

Old 06-03-2022, 02:53 PM

565 posts, read 559,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxlfman90 View Post
Garland (Springpark Neighborhood near Jupiter/Campbell)
That's actually a really nice neighborhood. Kindergarden through 8th grade is a solid feeder (Big Springs Elementary/Apollo Jr high). Noticeable drop off once you get to Berkner high but by that point your kids should be fine (as long as your not in goof off electives or remedial classes then you'll have a good student body).

Very pretty area as well, HOA maintained neighbhoord with big trees, community pool/tennis courts, creeks, and the surrounding neighbhoords within walking distance are pretty (walking distance is Crowley which is a massive natural greenbelt park and Sherill Park which is the 2 golf courses that the city of Richardson own).

Old 06-04-2022, 08:42 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,446,428 times
From what I’ve heard (no first hand experience so take it as you will), Berkner is considered to be the weakest of all the RISD high schools. That being said I would take it over Desoto high schools hands down

Old 06-05-2022, 09:49 PM

565 posts, read 559,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
From what I’ve heard (no first hand experience so take it as you will), Berkner is considered to be the weakest of all the RISD high schools. That being said I would take it over Desoto high schools hands down
It is the weakest, that's why I said the drop off after 8th grade is significant. Most of the drop off is due to the other junior high (Liberty) having higher at risk kids and 2x more english second language students.

If your class selection is good (non-remedial classes and semi serious elective classes) then it won't be a huge deal, you'll mostly be in classes with the same kids you went to Apollo Junior high with (you'd really only notice the effects if you had a bottom 40% student)

Old 06-06-2022, 08:46 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,055,793 times
In the 80's, Spring Park was the bomb. I hung out there in my teens. Not sure if they still have it but there was a tennis club there if your into that. Spring Park, Firewheel and another area near Lake Ray Hubbard are the only thing nice in Garland. If your into Golf you have sherrill Park and Firewheel down the street. You also have very close access to George Bush Tollway which you can get to anywhere. GBush is starting to develop more with restaurants and such. Parts of Richardson in that area is heavy Asian Indian.
I cant speak for Desoto but from what I know its more blue collarish and more african american
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: