Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2022, 07:14 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,085,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The inventory problem is not unique to this family’s search. There’s almost no inventory at any price point anywhere in the metroplex.
Agreed. Be prepared, and have a plan B. It will be some time before you find something if you find anything at all and cost a lot more than list.

A commute from anywhere in Collin County to downtown Dallas would be dreadful.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2022, 05:03 AM

26 posts, read 31,052 times
We're looking at this same price point in Collin County. My husband and I only go in twice a week and not at rush hour so it was best decision ever to love from Dallas to Collin County.

Old 02-10-2022, 08:02 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,674,170 times
Frisco, Murphy, Parker for someone who works just west of downtown off Industrial Blvd? Are you nuts?

Old 02-10-2022, 09:00 AM

304 posts, read 185,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Frisco, Murphy, Parker for someone who works just west of downtown off Industrial Blvd? Are you nuts?
Most likely. Kind of like moving from a hockey state to a football state and expecting the same infrastructure.

Last edited by Lz_2022; 02-10-2022 at 10:30 AM..

Old 02-16-2022, 06:47 AM

37 posts, read 48,137 times
Well we made our weekend trip down to Dallas and were able to check out some surrounding suburbs. Frisco seemed to check off most of the "wants" on our list. I can see why a lot of you recommended we look there. And yes, the commute might be longer than some other places, but I'm finding it hard to find anything in our price range any closer. However, this was our first time getting outside of downtown Dallas and exploring, still so much to see! I'd like to see more of Allen, Richardson and Plano. We just ran out of time over the weekend. I will be making more trips down and will keep the search going. Thank you for all the advice!

Old 02-16-2022, 10:08 AM

427 posts, read 494,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurce9 View Post
Well we made our weekend trip down to Dallas and were able to check out some surrounding suburbs. Frisco seemed to check off most of the "wants" on our list. I can see why a lot of you recommended we look there. And yes, the commute might be longer than some other places, but I'm finding it hard to find anything in our price range any closer. However, this was our first time getting outside of downtown Dallas and exploring, still so much to see! I'd like to see more of Allen, Richardson and Plano. We just ran out of time over the weekend. I will be making more trips down and will keep the search going. Thank you for all the advice!
OP - good that you are taking time and effort to visit the places and do research by yourself, rather than just hearing to what people say on a public forum. Allocate some quality time to check out the following in Allen and then compare with other areas. Mainly 75013 zip code area, a small triangular area between highway's 75 and 121 may suit to your needs if you are considering Collin County.

(1) As someone already mentioned, Allen has an ice hockey rink, you may want to check Allen Event Center, Hockey Rink. While you are there, you may as well tour Village at Allen, Village at Fairvew.

(2) Shopping & Dining: Upscale Watters Creek Shopping area (highway 75 / Bethany road intersection), Allen Outlet Mall (75 / Stacy Road intersection). These are good to see even for window shopping at night. Allen Outlet Mall is very popular in the region. In addition to above Villages at Allen and Fairview. These are in Allen. Then you have Stone Briar Mall in Frisco, Legacy Shopping area in Plano are very close within 15 min drive or so from 75013.

Tons of regular shopping for errands like Target, Walmart, Whole Foods, Sprouts, Kroger, Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy, Fast food etc. very close by.

(3) Parks & Recreation: Entire Allen town is almost inter-connected with walk and bike paths. Exchange/121 area will be green and nice. There is a wonderful athletic/recreation center coming up on Exchange parkway. Link below for details: https://www.cityofallen.org/1969/Ste...reation-Center
Then there is Allen Natatorium, Spirit Park, Celebration Park, Ford Recreation Center and many other neighborhood parks.

Since Allen is relatively small, you feel you are closer to all and be able to use to enjoy. You have these in other towns, but unless you are close, you feel like you have to travel far away to other parts of the town to access.

(4) Highway access: You have very convenient access to both 75 and 121 highways. 75 is free, which is good option to have as tolls can catch up quite a bit and can get expensive. You will have access to any part of DFW metro area relatively easily. Travel to Downtown/Dallas is tough in rush hour like from any other place in Collin County. But if your husband has flexibility to travel during off-peak hours or do not need to travel every day, then not bad at all.

Whereas from Frisco, you have only two choices DNT and 121 which are both tollways. And if the specific neighborhood/house you are looking is far from these since the area is huge, sometimes it takes a long time just to get to highway, crossing many streets/school zones.

Huge new developments were announced along 121 namely - The Farm, Monarch City, Allen Gateway etc. projects.

(5) Job Centers: Very easy commute to Richardson, Plano/Frisco/Legacy/DNT Corridor, which are major employment centers for any future employment needs.

(6) Schools: Top rated schools. Especially on west Allen side, top rated Elementary schools and Ereckson Middle. Allen high schools is also a top performing school in the region, but it is very huge. There are both pros and cons with that, it mainly depends on what type of setting suits to your kids and your needs. We like the big environment with tons of courses, options to choose from and feel kids gets better prepared for college environment. Everyone will have things to do. Very competitive sports programs. Difficult to get a spot unless you are a top performer. Football is huge in the town. Sense of community and whole town supports the teams. But some like small high school setting. So, it depends on personal needs and choice.

Visit the Allen high campus, Eagle Stadium, Newly setup STEAM Center. STEAM (Science, Technology, Engg, Arts and Mathematics) - Many courses are run here like Robotics etc. to reduce pressure on Allen High and Allen residents chose this over constructing another high school. This STEAM campus is wonderful and unique in the region. You may have the courses available at all ISD's but do not think there is an exclusive campus for that. Allen High offers tons of AP courses, IB Program and also Dual Credits with Collin College.

Diversity: Better diversity "compared" to Frisco where you will see some schools and neighborhoods with Indians upwards of 80% or so. Especially the new ones.

(7) For your budgets and needs, I suggest to tour the neighborhoods of Twin Creeks, Montgomery Farms, Star Creek, Shaddock Park Estates, Ridgeview Crossing and few other neighborhoods.

Allen is almost built out; housing market is crazy here like everywhere else in the region and country.

So, setup some time and tour all the place above, compare with other options you have in terms of all the criteria that is important for you and then take a decision.

Last edited by DFWUser1; 02-16-2022 at 10:50 AM..

Old 02-16-2022, 03:08 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,674,170 times
Are you really telling us you can't find a 4-5 bedroom house, closer in than Frisco, for $1.2 million? I don't believe it. All of Plano, Richardson, North Dallas, Lakewood, heck even UP? I don't believe it.

I can tell you that daily driving from Frisco to downtown Dallas (OK, "Design District" aka Industrial Blvd, a mile northwest of downtown, same thing basically) will be a soul-sucking commute. Just wait till it rains. Could easily be an hour or more in the morning and 90-120 minutes in the evening. For what? To live out in the boonies? It's not like you can have 50 acres out there. You'll still be in a McMansion on a quarter acre lot.

Old 02-16-2022, 04:12 PM

625 posts, read 667,651 times
I just looked on google maps for this right now and from downtown Dallas to both Frisco and Allen is one hour (even though technically less than 30 miles). Now, if you don't have to do it daily or can drive in off-hours, you'll have more flexibility. Pre-Covid, I worked downtown and had a couple of co-workers that lived in Allen. It took them normally an hour each way daily, slightly less if they left before 7am.

I'd don't profess to know a lot about that far North (although I prefer their high school model), but I recommend searching on this forum on your interested Frisco neighborhoods. Some are known for (both pro and con) for their demographics.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:21 PM

26 posts, read 31,052 times
Are you guys going in daily and at rush hour? Otherwise Frisco is a non issue.

Old 02-16-2022, 07:19 PM

37 posts, read 48,137 times
Yes, my husband would be going in daily. And as for finding something closer in our budget, it might be out there but I just didn’t have the time to look in those places this past weekend. And when I check on Redfin, I don’t see much.

You all have been so helpful. It’s so hard for me to get an understanding of the layout of Dallas and surrounding suburbs. Like I said, it will take more trips down for me to check things out. Luckily my husband will begin working and will be there more often and can do some real research on commutes. He says he doesn’t mind the drive…but I DO!! I don’t want to be waiting all evening for him to just get home from work.

So, again, thanks for the honest comments and advice. I appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas