Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 09:49 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,086,492 times

Advertisements

It's not like you'll have a lot to choose from. The selection is going to be paltry and expensive whether you rent or buy.

Either way, you'll probably want to look in or around Fort Worth. I could be wrong, but my guess is that it won't be quite as crazy as the Dallas side, and it will be closer to your work. You might try posting in the Fort Worth forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 09:52 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
If your office is in Fort Worth - forget anything in Dallas County. Not to familiar with the FTW side but I'd imagine somewhere in downtown FTW might appeal to you. Grapevine and Colleyville are pretty family oriented and you probably won't get something you like for your budget in either of those areas, and particularly not Colleyville.

Second the recommendation to rent first before buying.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:56 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,086,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Just be prepared for an extreme shortage of homes, 20+ offers and thousands over the asking price if you buy a home.

If your budget is say $500k then look for homes in the $450 range and be prepared to pay more. Don't look at $500k homes.
That may be in some of the most popular cities and neighborhoods, but that's definitely not the case all over, and I doubt even most areas. You wouldn't see anything like that where I live. I have no idea what it's like around Fort Worth though.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:32 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
That may be in some of the most popular cities and neighborhoods, but that's definitely not the case all over, and I doubt even most areas. You wouldn't see anything like that where I live. I have no idea what it's like around Fort Worth though.
It pretty much is everywhere the OP describes / mentions he wants to live. Unless he wants to go somewhere far south out of town or maybe Forney.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:06 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UP 270 View Post
I want a house so I can build wealth. I'd consider a condo also if I could find one in my price range in a good location.
Not knocking your goal of home ownership. Just saying, spend a year in FW to get to know the various neighborhoods and suburbs as well as traffic patterns before panic buying a home just to get one.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:51 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UP 270 View Post
I want a house so I can build wealth. I'd consider a condo also if I could find one in my price range in a good location.
What is your price range? It does no good for us to point you towards Colleyville if you can only spend $350k.

The mid-cities and Fort Worth are just as hot as Dallas.

Old 01-25-2022, 12:59 PM

625 posts, read 667,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Not knocking your goal of home ownership. Just saying, spend a year in FW to get to know the various neighborhoods and suburbs as well as traffic patterns before panic buying a home just to get one.

Especially if you are looking to focus on the dating scene. It'll be a lot easier to date centrally located near restaurants, nightlife than out in a family focused suburb. My single sister and her friends always prioritize dates that are geographically desirable (aka close to them).

Old 01-25-2022, 02:26 PM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Not a good time to buy house now. The prices are inflated, you will pay big bucks for a house that is worth less.

Also, you should rent first and explore areas yourself, not get influenced by internet strangers.

Old 01-25-2022, 03:47 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,443,155 times
My two cents: No disrespect intended to the other posters who have advised the OP to wait a year, but while that would have been spot on advice 3 years ago. It's probably the worst thing he can do in today's environment. My younger brother just learned this the hard way. He could have bought a year ago, but he and his newly married wife decided to wait a year to explore and what not. Well fast forward today, the same houses now cost anywhere from 50-100K more, and as we all know, the inventory has dropped even more. He's kicking himself.

The difficult thing for the OP is that if he wants to build wealth, then buying right now is the way to go while he can still afford to. Only problem is that this can have a limiting effect on finding a spouse, due to the large size of the metroplex. If he buys in say Forney but meets a girl who lives in Prosper, well someone is going to have to change jobs/move to make the dating aspect work. Now he might get lucky and find someone who lives closer, but that is the risk he takes.
Now it's not an insurmountable risk, people have lived in different states and even different countries and found a way but just to keep that in mind. That being said, I would say try and get the house now, the prices will probably jump even more in a years time.

Old 01-25-2022, 04:21 PM

139 posts, read 113,537 times
^

Prices for real estate are projected to increase in 2022. Even if the fed raises the interest rate, it won't be anything like what we saw during the 2000s. US has so much debt that raising the interest rate too high will be detrimental. Unlike 2008, short supply and strong demand is what's causing the market to climb. Whereas, prior to 2008, supply was not an issue.

Yet another "Where should I buy a house" ?-4.jpg
Yet another "Where should I buy a house" ?-5.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas