Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 09:28 AM

869 posts, read 318,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Nigerian did admit the comparison was a stretch though. Personally I don’t think there’s an equivalent to either city for different reasons. Fort Worth is a medium size city that performs good on its own. It’s a legit city and not a suburb. It’s a city one can live comfortably in and have all the things Houston and Dallas have just on a smaller scale. It’s good enough. On the other hand, Galveston imo is one of the most unique cities in the state. Yeah it’s seen better days but there’s still no other city like it in the state. For a city with its population it punches above its weight imo. Galveston is too historic and too urban to be consider a suburb of Houston. It’s not a secondary city the way Fort Worth is but Galveston is its own thing. Ppl forget Galveston was the most urban city at one point in the state and those bones are still there.

Agree with every word here. Galveston is DEFINITELY it's own thing, and in a great way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 07:30 AM

9,862 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Was looking at the shopping directories of Legacy West Plano and Woodlands Town Center and they look almost identical. I know mall stores are generally generic. But even the high end stores are the same: Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Chanel and Tiffany’s. Are they perhaps managed by the same company?

Old 04-20-2022, 10:05 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,449,291 times
Plano
https://youtu.be/l1gYpwark68

The Woodlands
https://youtu.be/_oLhj4Mq8pU

Old 11-30-2022, 09:16 AM

829 posts, read 451,164 times
I know I'm reviving an old thread but I recently visited Dallas again and wanted to take a stab at this. Both cities definitely felt similar.

Downtown Dallas = Downtown Houston

Pretty self explanatory. I liked Downtown Houston slightly more but both are making progress.

Uptown Dallas = Western half of Midtown Houston + Upper Kirby

Both of these areas felt similar in built form though Uptown felt more developed. I loved Uptown Dallas substantially more than midtown Houston. I threw in Upper Kirby too since Uptown feels a lot more upscale than midtown and West Village kinda reminded me of the Arrive River Oaks development. Great neighborhood y'all have up there.

Oak Lawn (minus Uptown and Victory Park) = Montrose

Both hotspots for the LGBTQ+ population that are experiencing rapid gentrification. Cedar Springs strip and the intersection of Westheimer and Dunlavy felt similar. Both seem similar in built form too.

Lower Greenville = The Heights

They both have a similar vibe and both seemed to skew to a slightly older crowd. I prefer Lower Greenville since I hate those open ditches that are seen around the Heights and the development in Greenville felt more uniform.

Knox-Henderson = Rice Village + Highland Village

Knox definitely reminded me of Rice Village in built form especially after Rice Village repainted the facades of their buildings to the same white color seen in Knox-Henderson. I threw in Highland Village too since a lot of the shops in Knox-Henderson and Highland Village are the same.

Highland Park = River Oaks (Single Family Portion)

De-facto old money neighborhoods in each city.

There are some neighborhoods that I thought the other city had no answer to as well. There's no answer to the Deep Ellum in Houston. I know Washington plays a similar role but the Deep Ellum is significantly more pedestrian friendly and urban. I also don't think there's an answer to Uptown/River Oaks (the multifamily portion around the ROD) in Dallas. I think NorthPark comes closest but it really doesn't match the scale of the former.

Y'all have definitely got a beautiful city up there and Dallas would be my first choice if I had to leave Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas