Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2021, 09:27 PM

19,801 posts, read 18,099,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
I did. I trust the numerous news outlets more than the controversial WSJ editorial board which is known to be loose with the facts..like its dismissal of the severity of Covid. ABC, CBS, NBC, WSJ news and even non-Tucker Fox point out the majority of power loss is from frozen natural gas issues, not wind. There a few editorial/opinion/Tucker pieces blaming wind as the main culprit....again those are editorials/opinions...not facts. I get it that you take the word of an editorial/opinion piece.
This is so disappointing. You are charging me with claims I haven't made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 09:34 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Greg Abbott is blaming Obama now..
He probably won’t be the only GOP doing it
Cruz will too
And Biden
Because they don’t give a damn about people
Only politics
The mayor from Colorado City hit the GOP attitude about Govt services on the head when he said people are responsible for their own safety net
He was just too honest for most people to handle

I don’t agree with him...but Republicans hate government yet always want to run it

Old 02-17-2021, 09:39 PM

282 posts, read 114,464 times
1. Coal is dirty and spews greenhouse gasses and other spew. We need renewable energy. Try wind.

2. Doesn't wind look cool? We need more wind. Wind and other renewables will save the planet.

3. Oh you think you need natural gas, but not for long, as scientists will figure it out. But shut down the coal.

4. See what Climate Change does to states like Texas? That's fossil fuels.

5. Are they bargain turbines?

6. It isn't frozen turbines, that's fake news. It's really frozen gas issues.

7. People are saying it's turbines without any evidence to support that. The problem is Texas partially relies on fossil fuels for generation.

8. The problem is Texans are using more electricity than can be allocated.

9. Why is the state using so much electricity?

Old 02-17-2021, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
This is so disappointing. You are charging me with claims I haven't made.
But that is your opinion
You have blamed everyone but TX government and ERCOT’s policies for the failure to plan and protect the people of TX in this disaster...
You cite inaccurate info as to “causes” like depending on wind turbines when wind normally provides less than 12% of power/energy used in the electric grid...
You ignore the fact that countries and states with conditions just as harsh have working wind turbines and Texas does not require winterization of wind turbines installed for our grid

You ignore the same conditions brought the state to similar dangerous times in 1998 and 2011 and nothing was done to mandate change after those events because our state is run by pro-business vs pro-consumer values.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:46 PM

[quote=countysquare;60427085]1. Coal is dirty and spews greenhouse gasses and other spew. We need renewable energy. Try wind.

2. Doesn't wind look cool? We need more wind. Wind and other renewables will save the planet.

3. Oh you think you need natural gas, but not for long, as scientists will figure it out. But shut down the coal.

4. See what Climate Change does to states like Texas? That's fossil fuels.

5. Are they bargain turbines?

6. It isn't frozen turbines, that's fake news. It's really frozen gas issues.

7. People are saying it's turbines without any evidence to support that. The problem is Texas partially relies on fossil fuels for generation.

8. The problem is Texans are using more electricity than can be allocated.

9. Why is the state using so much electricity?[/QUOTE

Because the govenor did not mandate nor did the PUC mandate certain specific requirements for businesses to make them conserve energy use
Texas doesn’t like to curtail people’s freedom to choose
But no one chooses to go 4 days w/o power

Old 02-17-2021, 09:54 PM

19,801 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
But that is your opinion
You have blamed everyone but TX government and ERCOT’s policies for the failure to plan and protect the people of TX in this disaster...
You cite inaccurate info as to “causes” like depending on wind turbines when wind normally provides less than 12% of power/energy used in the electric grid...
You ignore the fact that countries and states with conditions just as harsh have working wind turbines and Texas does not require winterization of wind turbines installed for our grid

You ignore the same conditions brought the state to similar dangerous times in 1998 and 2011 and nothing was done to mandate change after those events because our state is run by pro-business vs pro-consumer values.
1. What inaccurate info. have I posted?

2. You and several others are glossing over or maybe just missed...........the proportion of wind offline is much greater than the proportion of thermal offline.

3. I'm not blaming anyone. Emotion and finding scapegoats isn't helpful.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:04 PM

578 posts, read 479,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
I did. I trust the numerous news outlets more than the controversial WSJ editorial board which is known to be loose with the facts..like its dismissal of the severity of Covid. ABC, CBS, NBC, WSJ news and even non-Tucker Fox point out the majority of power loss is from frozen natural gas issues, not wind. There a few editorial/opinion/Tucker pieces blaming wind as the main culprit....again those are editorials/opinions...not facts. I get it that you take the word of an editorial/opinion piece.
You think you are getting omniscient fact-checked absolute truth, but it could be just brain-washing sound-bite headlines, such as
"the majority of power loss is from frozen natural gas issues"

That literally means nothing, because
The majority of power generation is also from natural gas. Proportionally those frozen wind turbine have higher failure rate and thermal plants prove to be much more reliable.
The majority of power loss from natural gas is due to, well, supply shortages of natural gas. This is exacerbated by the fail of wind plants - the reserve burns faster than expected. It's not entirely fair to say they all fail at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Greg Abbott is blaming Obama now..
Why shouldn't he? Wind power becomes popular not because people love green energy, but because there are enormous fund and tax credits coming from federal. PTC, ITC and soon the New Green Deal. Coal plants wouldn't have been phased out that quickly without Obama pushing for renewable energy and disrupting the free market.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:15 PM

8,153 posts, read 3,680,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post
You think you are getting omniscient fact-checked absolute truth, but it could be just brain-washing sound-bite headlines, such as
"the majority of power loss is from frozen natural gas issues"

That literally means nothing, because
The majority of power generation is also from natural gas. Proportionally those frozen wind turbine have higher failure rate and thermal plants prove to be much more reliable.
The majority of power loss from natural gas is due to, well, supply shortages of natural gas. This is exacerbated by the fail of wind plants - the reserve burns faster than expected. It's not entirely fair to say they all fail at the end.

Why shouldn't he? Wind power becomes popular not because people love green energy, but because there are enormous fund and tax credits coming from federal. PTC, ITC and soon the New Green Deal. Coal plants wouldn't have been phased out that quickly without Obama pushing for renewable energy and disrupting the free market.
Lol. At this time of the year wind was supposed to provide only 6-7% of the total, and it did provide some. The total failure was obviously not due to that. Actually, if there was a requirement to winterize regardless of the rosy expectations for mild winter, almost all of this would've been avoided. And if TX kept 15% reserve like other grids the problem would not exist. But that's not profitable enough apparently. And as I said, on other threads multiple lies in regards to what's happening and what to expect.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:26 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,114,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Lol. At this time of the year wind was supposed to provide only 6-7% of the total, and it did provide some. The total failure was obviously not due to that. Actually, if there was a requirement to winterize regardless of the rosy expectations for mild winter, almost all of this would've been avoided. And if TX kept 15% reserve like other grids the problem would not exist. But that's not profitable enough apparently. And as I said, on other threads multiple lies in regards to what's happening and what to expect.
Yeah, the biggest story is not really tied to the energy sources, but to reserve, plant maintenance, grid issues, etc.

It probably would have helped to have Big Brown and Monticello still on-line but there really isn’t any reason the current split between wind/natural gas/coal/nuclear couldn’t be configured to handle this event and our overall needs.

I see a lot of political opportunism here from both sides of the aisle, but this is fundamentally a lack of execution and investment in risk mitigation.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
I only lost power for 3 hours so I wouldn't call anything a total failure, just for the record. And I'm not unusual, though this severely cold weather for days on end HAS been very unusual.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-18-2021 at 05:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas