Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 06:34 PM

353 posts, read 997,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
Be careful when judging commutes. Right now most people are still working from home. So what is currently feasible - may well not be in a year.
We had planned to do a mock commute, and I mentioned to hubby it’s probably not worth it, as all the WFH would not give us an accurate picture of a true commute.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 06:36 PM

625 posts, read 672,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCMetsGal View Post
We had planned to do a mock commute, and I mentioned to hubby it’s probably not worth it, as all the WFH would not give us an accurate picture of a true commute.

Thank you!
So true!! Worth seeing what it is right now - but know that right now would probably be the best case scenario. That said, we’ve gotten into a few big traffic jams lately while running errands. No idea why!!

Old 01-21-2021, 06:52 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,122,204 times
Maybe I missed it, but I hadn’t seen anyone ask which part of Irving the job is. Irving is a pretty large town/city and depending on which side of Irving the work location is, it might drive your focus towards areas more to the North and West or more South.

I think you will find more options for your criteria in the Southern Suburbs (maybe look towards Midlothian, Red Oak, etc.).

Old 01-21-2021, 07:14 PM

353 posts, read 997,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
Maybe I missed it, but I hadn’t seen anyone ask which part of Irving the job is. Irving is a pretty large town/city and depending on which side of Irving the work location is, it might drive your focus towards areas more to the North and West or more South.

I think you will find more options for your criteria in the Southern Suburbs (maybe look towards Midlothian, Red Oak, etc.).
Thank you!

I had to ask, I didn’t know. It’s (from what I can tell looking at the address) north, near Las Colinas.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:23 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,388,388 times
I lived in Mansfield once and changed jobs to Irving. Commute was brutal and I wound up moving to Irving. However, I suggest you look in Argyle, Double Oak and Corinth for the nearest area with some spacious lots. I don’t know if your budget will fit but worth looking. Oh, I just looked and seems things go really fast. I found one in your budget in Argyle that’s pending. But you are not asking the impossible. You need to stop with the southern section or Johnson County. But include Tarrant and Denton counties. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M76551-90608

Old 01-21-2021, 07:30 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,388,388 times
Here’s one in Carrollton. Can’t ask for a better commute to Irving for a house with one acre. But you’d certainly need to be prepared for renovations/updates. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M87360-46409

Old 01-21-2021, 08:00 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,122,204 times
Quote:
Thank you!

I had to ask, I didn’t know. It’s (from what I can tell looking at the address) north, near Las Colinas.
That makes a difference for sure. Probably best to focus North as WorldKlas suggests.

Old 01-21-2021, 08:01 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,371,137 times
Quote:
Hello All!

Hubby has accepted a new job and we’ll be relocating to the DFW area in the next year. Assuming his employer doesn’t change plans, he will be working in an office in Irving.

We have just begun scouting the area (online) and we are planning a trip to Dallas in the next month.

We are coming from a relatively ex-urban area of Charlotte, NC. Believe me when I tell you we are QUITE FAMILIAR with the growing pains of a rapidly developing area that doesn’t do much in the way of keeping up with infrastructure, schools, etc... while those things aren’t a complete deal-breaker, we’d prefer not to be living in the worst of it, if possible. Everything in moderation!

We are currently looking in:
*the southern part of Collin County (Frisco, Plano, McKinney, etc...)
*Denton County from the southern border into Denton itself (Flower Mound, Lewisville, etc...)
*the western most part of Parker County (Aledo; Weatherford seems too far west, but we plan to check it out)

Recently, hubby found some nice homes in Crowley and Burleson, so we’ve added Johnson County to the list.
He also saw nice homes in Midlothian, in Ellis County. Then he added a few cities that border other counties, plus Ellis County: Mansfield, Grand Prairie.

Generally, how would you rate the commute to Irving (we know about tolls, more curious about traffic. Current commute is 45 min)?
Schools?
Amenities (access to grocery, retail, restaurants, etc...)?

Also, we’re looking for AT LEAST an acre. So, what’s our best bet at finding that? If it helps, our budget is in the $500,000 range.

We won’t have time to check all of these in one visit, but we will be making subsequent trips through the year, so ALLLLLLLLLL advice and opinions are much appreciated!

Apologies in advance for the length of the post.

Thank you!
Welcome, six years ago my sister's family relocated back to Texas from Charlotte. Working in Irving, the commute from Mckinney would be quite a drive. Consider Flower Mound, Grapevine, Colleyville to the west of IRving and Coppell, Lewisville and west Plano to the east for the best schools. Best also know places like Colleyville, Coppell and Southlake, while known for excellent schools have high property taxes even for Texas.

Old 01-21-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
South half of Collin county along with the Northern half of Dallas county there will be nothing. 1 acre of just the land itself will be more then your entire budget
Lewisville has little to no big lots and the Flowermound houses on at least 1 acre average around 1.2 million. The portion of Denton County in your price range on at least an acre will be the Western country portion (Justin, Ponder, Dish)
Those areas are more in your price range but like you said brutal commute (40-50 miles each way).

Southern half of Mansfield is your most realistic option in terms of price, somewhat reasonable commute (35 miles) and somewhat decent amenties

Amenties and schools will be lacking for 90% of the houses in your price/lot range. The problem with DFW is the competition now is fierce, if the amenties are solid (schools, city services, and retail) then your immediately priced out
I would concur, Mansfield is their best shot for an acre plot that is not too far a drive.

Old 01-21-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I lived in Mansfield once and changed jobs to Irving. Commute was brutal and I wound up moving to Irving. However, I suggest you look in Argyle, Double Oak and Corinth for the nearest area with some spacious lots. I don’t know if your budget will fit but worth looking. Oh, I just looked and seems things go really fast. I found one in your budget in Argyle that’s pending. But you are not asking the impossible. You need to stop with the southern section or Johnson County. But include Tarrant and Denton counties. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M76551-90608
Argyle is haul. Might as well buy in Mansfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas