Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2020, 08:58 PM

4 posts, read 4,008 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are looking to move to Dallas by Oct and looking at Westlake, TX. Wondering how are different communities (Terra Bella, Quail Hollow, Granada, etc.) within Westlake, TX differs from each other (if so). Particularly looking at Quail Hollow and concerned its still a new development and might potentially take years to complete. I had bought in a new neighborhood in the past and it was extremely inconvenient due to ongoing construction, mail never used to come to homes, and random people coming in and out of the neighborhood. Looking at homes in Caroll ISD and Westlake Academy in westlake. Don't like the HOA fee but am OK to settle if there is value.

Would love to hear from someone already living there or knows first hand of any issues/concerns, and preference.

I'm a family of 5; husband wife and 3 kids aged 7, 5, 2. Any insight will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 11:20 PM

Community locations are pretty close by since Westlake itself is still relatively under developed. I do find the topology in terms of trees/greenery better among other communities maybe due to the fact Qual Hollow is still a new community and all the trees will take time to mature.

I doubt anyone can go wrong choosing one community over another, and just want to see if there are any red flags or intrinsic value a local could highlight.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:35 AM

197 posts, read 229,494 times
I would keep in mind that if you are looking at a gated community, Glenwyck and Terra Bella are not completely gated, in that there are no physical access restrictions preventing non-resident pedestrians from trespassing into those communities, as they connect with Westlake's public trail system. There are plenty of "private property - no trespassing" signs though. Glenwyck Park, between the two halves of Glenwyck Farms, is actually a public park operated by Westlake, and there is a small public-access trailhead next to the entrance for the southern half of Glenwyck (Fair Oaks Drive).

Quail Hollow and Granada are fully gated, to my understanding.

Keep in mind that anything roughly west of Davis will have Keller ISD schools; the elementary and high school (Florence Elementary and Keller High School) seem almost as good as Carroll ISD. The intermediate (Bear Creek) and middle (Keller Middle) schools seem a little weaker, though. That said, I wouldn't completely rule out the Keller ISD portion of Westlake if you did find something you liked in Vaquero, for instance.

I used to run on Westlake's trail system, so I know the trails there pretty well.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:07 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
It's not a community, it's a subdivision.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:13 AM

236 posts, read 155,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Defintion:

a group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common

Sounds like a community to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subdivision_(land)

from there link : If it is used for housing it is typically known as a housing subdivision or housing development, although some developers tend to call these areas communities.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

Thanks for the semantics correction. Please try to provide more helpful and productive comments.

Old 08-10-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlx View Post
I would keep in mind that if you are looking at a gated community, Glenwyck and Terra Bella are not completely gated, in that there are no physical access restrictions preventing non-resident pedestrians from trespassing into those communities, as they connect with Westlake's public trail system. There are plenty of "private property - no trespassing" signs though. Glenwyck Park, between the two halves of Glenwyck Farms, is actually a public park operated by Westlake, and there is a small public-access trailhead next to the entrance for the southern half of Glenwyck (Fair Oaks Drive).

Quail Hollow and Granada are fully gated, to my understanding.

Keep in mind that anything roughly west of Davis will have Keller ISD schools; the elementary and high school (Florence Elementary and Keller High School) seem almost as good as Carroll ISD. The intermediate (Bear Creek) and middle (Keller Middle) schools seem a little weaker, though. That said, I wouldn't completely rule out the Keller ISD portion of Westlake if you did find something you liked in Vaquero, for instance.

I used to run on Westlake's trail system, so I know the trails there pretty well.
Thanks for the details. You are absolutely correct; I found pedestrians can easily walk into the Glenwyck and Terra Bella community. The homes we saw back into the trails, and considering this is a safe area, I was less concerned. Gate is just a distraction, and that is OK with me.

We saw a relatively high price variance between homes in Caroll ISD and Keller ISD in westlake. I heard multiple reviews of Westlake academy and decided to keep Caroll ISD as a backup option incase my kids don't enjoy west lake academy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: