Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is all the growth really a good thing?
Yes, Its good to keep having 150k more people every year 33 49.25%
No, I liked Dallas better before all these new people came 34 50.75%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 11:15 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,173,706 times

Advertisements

As far as someone moving from Big Springs or Boston finding it easier to mingle than someone moving from Botswana, it’s not an apple to Apple comparison, more like an apple to Watermelon comparison. They face completely different level of difficulties and welcome. These things works itself out when next generation grows up locally.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:17 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,173,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompssc View Post
What is wrong with immigrants speaking their native language? I lived in Asia for a year for work, and I spoke English there. Yes, I made an effort to learn basic Mandarin and tried my best to communicate in the local language when I was communicating with locals. And typically immigrants here do the same. But when I was with other English speakers, I spoke English because it was easier. I imagine they speak their native tongue to each other for the same reason.

Your assertion that "they're not even bothering to learn the language" as a general rule is just wrong. They are, they just find it easier to speak the language they grew up speaking and have plenty of people here they can do that with.

Further, I appreciate that they retain their own culture (which includes langauge) here. That is what makes America, and major cities like Dallas, so cool. America has long been known as a melting pot, indicating that it is not a country of assimilating to the locals (after all, do you speak Native America or practice any of their customs?), but a country of immigrants bringing their own culture and living with people from other cultures together. Dallas is a part of that.

Personally, hearing other languages doesn't offend me. It doesn't make me feel threatened that these other populations are trying to "take over". I recognize that Dallas belongs to all of us and there is not "a language" required to be part of it. As a place of oportunity, I understand that people in search of opportunity will land here. I think that's cool. That's what makes Dallas an awesome place to live and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Nobody is against anyone retaining their culture or language, we should share and celebrate it all. That’s the American way. However, officially we can keep one language and there is nothing wrong with it.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:54 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
I would just like to point out that the changes that come from growth aren't strictly a Dallas or Texas thing. Look at any fast-growing state: Utah, Colorado, Washington, Idaho, etc and you will see literally the exact same discussions going on in tandem:

"Oh, the city should stop new development, that will stop people from moving here"

"Traffic is worse now than 5 or 10 years ago"

"These transplants are changing the Culture"

"The city/state should have planned on all this development because I think it is reasonable that no matter how many people move somewhere, it should take me the same amount of time to get between A) and B)"

"It is all these 'Californians' "

"Don't move HERE and bring values from THERE"

When I go home for Christmas I will hear the exact same discussion in Boise as I hear in Dallas in regards to growth, the pros, the cons etc. The EXACT same conversation. The only difference will be that instead of just complaining about Californians they also complain about Texans, because surprise, surprise when it comes to moving to another state, there really isn't a difference between Texas and California Transplants.

It's a national trend.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:59 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree.
Too much, too fast, and with little thought to design and planning.
It's like they just vomited up construction everywhere.

I hate it.
Oh...so you rather Dallas be like Austin and not address the rapidly growing population.....just because its better to be a small town with small town infrastructure......I totally disagree.

To be a healthy fast growing city you have to grow with the population....simple as that.

Last edited by dallasboi; 12-19-2019 at 12:49 PM..

Old 12-19-2019, 12:00 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I would just like to point out that the changes that come from growth aren't strictly a Dallas or Texas thing. Look at any fast-growing state: Utah, Colorado, Washington, Idaho, etc and you will see literally the exact same discussions going on in tandem:

"Oh, the city should stop new development, that will stop people from moving here"

"Traffic is worse now than 5 or 10 years ago"

"These transplants are changing the Culture"

"The city/state should have planned on all this development because I think it is reasonable that no matter how many people move somewhere, it should take me the same amount of time to get between A) and B)"

"It is all these 'Californians' "

"Don't move HERE and bring values from THERE"

When I go home for Christmas I will hear the exact same discussion in Boise as I hear in Dallas in regards to growth, the pros, the cons etc. The EXACT same conversation. The only difference will be that instead of just complaining about Californians they also complain about Texans, because surprise, surprise when it comes to moving to another state, there really isn't a difference between Texas and California Transplants.

It's a national trend.
I blame unbridled regulation of immigration- both illegal and legal. If the country had kept it the way that it was, death replacement rates would have kept us on a more even keel, instead of having to be the country that accepted so many of these people who have taken over communities that natural born citizens should have inhabited. This overpopulation has displaced those from the expensive states to flood the cheaper states, causing havoc on property values in those cheaper locales.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:50 PM

207 posts, read 275,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
...It’s not that English is somehow better or worse but it binds us all together. This is official language of this country...
I don't disagree with binding us together but English is not the official language of this country. There is not an official language of the United States.

Also, I feel like this thread has diverged from its original intent...

Old 12-19-2019, 02:57 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I blame unbridled regulation of immigration- both illegal and legal. If the country had kept it the way that it was, death replacement rates would have kept us on a more even keel, instead of having to be the country that accepted so many of these people who have taken over communities that natural born citizens should have inhabited. This overpopulation has displaced those from the expensive states to flood the cheaper states, causing havoc on property values in those cheaper locales.
Without immigration, we are losing population.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...ic-stagnation/

The problem is we aren't building enough homes because NIMBY homeowners want to drive up the value of their home. People have all the wrong incentives. If you oppose all new growth you get less traffic and artificially drive up home values.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:00 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,423 times
Default Dallas is the 7th largest CSA metro area

Dallas in order to achieve the 8 million number DFW encompasses an area of over 10,000 square miles and goes well into the vast grasslands of Oklahoma. Houston is the same. That is larger than a number of states. Baltimore is as close to DC as Fort Worth is to Dallas.
San Fran-San Jose are a similar distance. If you centered Philly in an area of 10k square miles it would have over 15 million people and would extend to New York City. BOSTON , heck you could add 3 states together and it would still be smaller than DFW and have 11 million people.
On a worldwide basis it is more important to look at just the urban area. In that case DFW is at more like 5.7 Million just behind Miami Houston is at 5.4 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
.....Dallas Ft.Worth is handling the growth welll....We have to...We're the 4th largest (soon to be 3rd)Metropolitan area in the United States.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:56 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Dallas in order to achieve the 8 million number DFW encompasses an area of over 10,000 square miles and goes well into the vast grasslands of Oklahoma. Houston is the same. That is larger than a number of states. Baltimore is as close to DC as Fort Worth is to Dallas.
San Fran-San Jose are a similar distance. If you centered Philly in an area of 10k square miles it would have over 15 million people and would extend to New York City. BOSTON , heck you could add 3 states together and it would still be smaller than DFW and have 11 million people.
On a worldwide basis it is more important to look at just the urban area. In that case DFW is at more like 5.7 Million just behind Miami Houston is at 5.4 million.
Did you read the article?...You are talking about absolutely nothing.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:37 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,423 times
Default Which article

I was only responding to your claim that Dallas is the 4th largest metropolitan area and soon to be the 3rd largest.
Saying that Dallas is the 4th largest Metro area is a stretch. I think even all of central Florida is less than 10,000 square miles. Heck with that much land you could even add Seattle and Portland together and get 9 million people. The Distance from Caddo Oklahoma to Mineral Wells Texas is 166 miles. Huntsville to El Campo is 144 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Did you read the article?...You are talking about absolutely nothing.

Last edited by jd433; 12-19-2019 at 06:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas