Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:37 PM

14 posts, read 75,911 times

Advertisements

Looks like we are really focusing on this area now, and I'd love to get a feel for what all is there other than Firewheel Town Center. What kind of grocery stores are there? Any Whole Foods or similar near by? Do you have HEBs/ Central Markets around there? What about popular restaurants that aren't the same ol' chains? Do we have to travel closer to the city for those? What are some popular areas for entertainment? What about the lakes? How easy is it to make a day out there without a boat? Anything else you can tell me about the area would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 12:53 PM

3,821 posts, read 8,753,581 times
I'm Murphy, but grocery shop in Sachse about half the time. There's a pretty good Kroger there.

There's not a Central Market superclose by but there's a Sprouts going in at the new Murphy Marketplace this fall.

As far as non-chains, there's several mom & pop restaurants that have huge followings. In Wylie there's the Ballard St. Cafe, Napoli's, and Steak Kountry. Oh and there's a Dickey's BBQ. It's a chain, but it started here in Dallas.

I don't know that Sachse has a ton of restaurants, but you wouldn't be that far from two of my faves in North Garland - Babe's Chicken Dinner House and Sali's Pizza. Babe's serves to-die-for Chicken Fried Steak and Fried Chicken. It got raves from Southern Living for it's Fried Chicken SouthernLiving.com Travel and Vacations The South's Best Fried Chicken - SouthernLiving.com

As far as entertainment, there's the theater at Firewheel, but there's plenty to do within a short drive. Depends what you are looking for.

As far as the lake, you would be right by Lake Lavon and there's swimming and fishing available.

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - Hunting

Old 04-20-2008, 01:12 PM

43 posts, read 121,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyneedsahome View Post
Looks like we are really focusing on this area now, and I'd love to get a feel for what all is there other than Firewheel Town Center. What kind of grocery stores are there? Any Whole Foods or similar near by? Do you have HEBs/ Central Markets around there? What about popular restaurants that aren't the same ol' chains? Do we have to travel closer to the city for those? What are some popular areas for entertainment? What about the lakes? How easy is it to make a day out there without a boat? Anything else you can tell me about the area would be greatly appreciated!
I live in Wylie and can tell you what I know.
"What kind of grocery stores are there?" ~ Wylie has an Alberston's, Brookshires and a Walmart Supercenter and will very soon have a Super Target. Sachse has a Kroger and Murphy has an Albertson's, Walmart neighborhood market and will very soon have a Sprout's Grocer.

"Any Whole Foods or similar near by?" ~ I believe Sprout's Grocer is similar to a Whole foods or Central Market

"Do you have HEBs/ Central Markets around there?" ~ I believe the closest current places like that are at Coit and George Bush

"What about popular restaurants that aren't the same ol' chains?" ~ Wylie has a place downtown called Ballard Street Grill with burgers, chicken fried steaks, really good breakfast, etc. There are several local mexican food restaurants, also some local chinese and italian places. For same ol' chains, Wylie has a Chili's and should be getting some other sit down type restaurants with the building of the new shopping center that will have the Super Target

"What are some popular areas for entertainment?" ~ I guess it depends on what kinds of things entertain you. We usually go to Firewheel when we want to go to a mall or to a movie. The city of Wylie does concerts and such on Friday evenings in the Summer. Rockwall is not too far and they too have things usually going on during the summer.

"What about the lakes? How easy is it to make a day out there without a boat? " ~ There are several parks around Lake Lavon that you can camp at or picnic at. There is one up near the city of Lavon that has a swimming area. I'm not as familiar with Lake Ray Hubbard, but I know there are at least places to picnic nearby.

We really like living in Wylie. We don't have to commute to work so it works for us.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:18 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,264,860 times
The Kroger in Sachse is really good. There is also a Tom Thumb very close in Garland at Pleasant Valley and Firewheel Pkwy. The closest Central Market is at Coit and 190. Worth the drive...

Other restaurants chains close by are Outback, Cheddars, On the Border, Chili's and of course those at the Firewheel mall, such as Friday's, Rice Box and a couple others.

Another lake that you can consider is Lake Ray Hubbard in Rowlett/Rockwall. Some of the marinas have boats for rent.

MurphyPl1... have you ever tried that "steak country" on 78??? they have that gigantic cow on the front... I haven't, I would like to know if anyone has been there.

naima

Old 04-20-2008, 07:34 PM

3,821 posts, read 8,753,581 times
We have once. We need to go back. I had the Chicken Fried Steak and it was pretty good, but I'm so spoiled to Babe's that it's probably unfair for me to judge them on that.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:02 PM

43 posts, read 121,690 times
Babe's has by far the best Chicken Fried Steak. Yum, we were just there last night. Steak Kountry's is good, but certainly not as good. I don't eat steak, but my family claims the steaks are pretty good. They have HUGE and really good baked potatoes. They also have a buffet, but I don't think it's very good.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:43 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,719,054 times
Steak Kountry has pretty good steaks, inexpensive too.

But there's tons of grocery stores and restaurants between Wylie, Murphy, Sachse, and North Garland.

For boating Lake Lavon is closest, but we have our boat on Lake Ray Hubbard... it's got lots of restaurants and a bit more interesting for non fishermen.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:35 PM

37 posts, read 107,158 times
You have the Harbor on Lake Ray Hubbard about 10 minutes away and they have restuarants, shopping and a movie theater. It is right on the lake with restuarants that have patios that go over the lake. It is beautiful. I just bought a home in woodbridge with parkmont homes. I can't wait to close!

Old 04-21-2008, 06:51 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,900,896 times
Restaurants in Wylie, Sachse and Northeast Garland and the part of Richardson right off 190 this side of 75-Central:

Cheddars by SuperTarget
Red Robin in front of SuperTarget
(several fast food joints right here as well)
Two Rows on 190 between N. Garland Ave & Brand in front of GISD SEC(just opened today)
IHOP (just before Two Rows)
Dickey's BBQ coming soon as well as a Buffalo Wild Wings

Across 190 from those:
Outback
On The Border
Olive Garden
Chuckie E. Cheese
Texas Roadhouse

Up by Firewheel Town Center:
Pei Wei
Christina's Mexican
Potbelly Sandwich
Chiptole
Cooppie's (kind of like Babe's but Babe's is better)
Flying Fish
Fish City Grill
San Francisco Oven
Avocado (sushi)
Texas Master Grill (Brazillian Steakhouse - VERY GOOD)
Gloria's (El Salvadorian)
Rice Box
TGI Friday's
Brooklyns Pizza (coming soon)

Across from the Mall:
Chili's
Fuddruckers
Spring Creek BBQ

In northeast Garland:
Sali's Italian (YUM)

In Richardson but closeby:
Desparado's (AWESOME Tex-Mex)
Casa Milagro (another AWESOME Tex-Mex and good patio)

Wylie:
Ballard Street
Dickey's

Murphy:
Dino's for breakfast, gyro's and good lunches (lunch plates, sandwiches, burgers)
There is also a good Tex-Mex place in Murphy but I don't know the name.

Sachse:
Country Junction - have not been there in YEARS!! Parents went recently said it was okay. Country cooking for breakfast and lunch.
Steak Kountry - eh. Only got to go once on a Sunday and dh hated it. That was YEARS ago as well. Been there for YEARS!!!!!j

Grocery stores have pretty much been mentioned. There is also a Kroger in Garland on Shiloh at Hwy 190. SuperTarget in Garland on N. Garland Ave at 190. If you are wanting to make a trip over to Central Market in Plano it is a PIECE OF CAKE LITERALLY! The sign on 190 between Renner and Jupiter normally says "time to Coit 6-7 minutes". I make it in about 3-4 as it is pretty quick and no traffic. About a 15 minute trip for me in Firewheel.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:21 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,719,054 times
Wylie has a Chili's as well... and a new Sushi roll place that's not bad. Murphy has a mexican restaurant too, but we haven't been yet. In Sachse there are 3 mexican places... Tacos y Salsa, Asado's, and I forget the other place.

And if you like Central Market, check out Market Street in Allen, you can cut through Murphy and Lucas and it's a short drive. They have a great bakery and better prices than CM.

And in Garland you can't forget Siciliano's for Italian.

And from your list, Brooklyns is the one to watch out for. They have the best NY Pizza in town. We drive up to Allen to get it, can't wait till we can get real pizza delivered!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas