Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 12:56 PM

19,925 posts, read 18,219,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
My BFs son would like to be a psychiatrist and has the funds to go anywhere. However he got a full ride to UTD and is going there because it is a good school if not the most prestigious. Figures he can get his bachelor's our of the way for free and then focus on getting into a very good school for his masters and use his college fund for that.

He will be living in campus and then near campus after his freshman year. Even tho he only lives 15 mins away now.
Just for clarity. If the kiddo wants to be a psychiatrist the likely progression is BS + medical school + psychiatry residency. He certainly could go the BS + masters route and then hit medial school but most would not do that by choice.

Is he thinking Ph.D psychology?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveplano View Post
Thanks numbersguy100. Yes it is a merit scholarship as we are not eligible for any other financial aid. It is a fixed amount per year. He might have to keep up his GPA to a certain to not lose it?
Baylor's merit scholarships tend to work like. If he stays on track for medical school maintaining the scholarship GPA floor won't be and issue.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:30 PM

3,822 posts, read 8,764,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Just for clarity. If the kiddo wants to be a psychiatrist the likely progression is BS + medical school + psychiatry residency. He certainly could go the BS + masters route and then hit medial school but most would not do that by choice.

Is he thinking Ph.D psychology?
Thanks for clarifying. He's actually bouncing on what the end game is. Research appeals to him but he's also a huge fan of music therapy. I think that uncertainty is also weighing in on going to UTD now.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:33 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,191,802 times
He wants to go to Baylor. He worked hard and got accepted at Baylor, UT and UTD. He earned full ride at UTD, enough scholarship to bring Baylor’s cost close to UT, probably could’ve qualified for some at UT as well if UT offered merit scholarships. Baylor gives a good education and a better college experience. It’s good for his intended major and safe if he falls in love with another subject or career.

There is no loan or debt involved. If you aren’t eligible for any financial aid then you must be reasonably affluent, you probably buy other things because you like them, even if there are other free or cheaper alternatives that would do the job. This is a similar choice. Baylor sounds like a logical choice to him but it’s your money and your call to make. There is no wrong pick here. You are in a good position with good options. If you pick UT, put housing deposit down ASAP, finding good housing can be a nightmare there.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:32 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,094,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
He wants to go to Baylor. He worked hard and got accepted at Baylor, UT and UTD. He earned full ride at UTD, enough scholarship to bring Baylor’s cost close to UT, probably could’ve qualified for some at UT as well if UT offered merit scholarships. Baylor gives a good education and a better college experience. It’s good for his intended major and safe if he falls in love with another subject or career.

There is no loan or debt involved. If you aren’t eligible for any financial aid then you must be reasonably affluent, you probably buy other things because you like them, even if there are other free or cheaper alternatives that would do the job. This is a similar choice. Baylor sounds like a logical choice to him but it’s your money and your call to make. There is no wrong pick here. You are in a good position with good options. If you pick UT, put housing deposit down ASAP, finding good housing can be a nightmare there.
Except there might be debt involved if OP or her son has to take out loans for medical school. A big if, I guess, based on wether he makes it to medical school.

I disagree that this is the same as buying something just because you like it more. It's not store brand cereal vs. name brand, or a better bottle of wine. This is $160,000. In some places, that's a whole house.

This may be outside the scope of this discussion, but in many ways I think this country is seeing such a massive problem with student debt because students have been conditioned to expect the whole traditional college experience and want the picture perfect 4 years. We have an emotional attachment and response to colleges, when perhaps it should be more of a logical decision. The emotional side is great if it doesn't overtake the logical aspect.

Also I'm wondering why is UTD so bad for other majors?

Old 01-18-2019, 02:48 PM

72 posts, read 60,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Also I'm wondering why is UTD so bad for other majors?
For electrical engineering and Comp Sci I think it ranks higher than Baylor or UT. They have the 3rd highest number of National Merit Scholars enrolled last year among all public universities in the country. If a students plan-B is to consider an engineering degree I think it is a great choice.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:57 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,191,802 times
It’s sobering that without financial aid, a well to do family can’t even afford to pay for a cheap state school like UT. What other signs for a total system reboot are required?

These schools are not expensive at all if you look at total cost for Columbia, NYU or Amherst, 4 years at those colleges can set you back for 370,000.

I reckon it all depends upon how much dough you have and where do you want to spend it. One man’s pocket change can be a fortune for another man. Some families with means want better education, others better lifestyle, for most families there are no such choices available.

Last edited by UnfairPark; 01-18-2019 at 04:15 PM..

Old 01-18-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinsTower18 View Post
For electrical engineering and Comp Sci I think it ranks higher than Baylor or UT. They have the 3rd highest number of National Merit Scholars enrolled last year among all public universities in the country. If a students plan-B is to consider an engineering degree I think it is a great choice.
Zero chance UTD is more highly ranked in either Comp-Sci or EE vs. UT-Austin.

Last edited by EDS_; 01-18-2019 at 04:23 PM..

Old 01-18-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
It’s sobering that without financial aid, a well to do family can’t even afford to pay for a cheap state school like UT. What other signs for a total system reboot are required?

These schools are not expensive at all if you look at total cost for Columbia, NYU or Amherst, 4 years at those colleges can set you back for 370,000.

I reckon it all depends upon how much dough you have and where do you want to spend it. One man’s pocket change can be a fortune for another man.
You've misread the OP's financial thesis entirely.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:20 PM

149 posts, read 148,229 times
Congrats to your son.......

Just as perspective from an attending physician (MD). I went to UT Austin and graduated from the engineering college. Had to choose between UT vs UMich in Ann Arbor for college and ultimately cost was the deciding factor. I wanted the whole big time college campus experience i.e. college football games etc etc so only applied to 3 schools and never considered any other schools in Texas aside from Austin. UT is definitely not for everyone as you can get lost in the chaos and UT is notorious for squashing the dreams of many a pre-med at least while I was there. I have been practicing for quite a while now and still have colleagues who are still complaining of paying off college loans so I would definitely take that into consideration. And I may be in the minority in this opinion but kids should go away for college provided they have that option
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas