Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 04:38 PM

204 posts, read 1,487,211 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am having trouble deciding between UNT and UTD. Im a business major. Ive never lived away from home and the town I live in now is bleak and boring. I want to live in a town that is artsy with friendly people, live music, and generally has things to do. Ive been accepted to both school. I got a transfer scholarship to UTD (doesnt make too much of a difference because its non-resident tuition) and wont know of any scholarships from UNT until the end of June. I hear that UTD has the better reputation?? However, I think that I might enjoy Denton more than the UTD area. I dont know for certain however since I will be moving sight unseen. Is the commute too long and horrible from Denton to Dallas? I was hoping someone could offer some insight as to how the two areas differ? I want to be somewhere laid back. If anyone has suggestions on nice areas to live near UNT, UTD, or both, I would really appreciate it. Is UTD's reputation really that much better than UNT's when it comes to employment? ANY help is appreciate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 06:57 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,532,507 times
If you are young and looking for a more traditional college experience I would go for UNT in Denton.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:14 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,073,538 times
UNT/Denton has a lot of music, mostly indie rock and jazz. A lot of the culture is bohemian/liberal/hippy/GLBT. The business people there are of course much more conservative. I liked the business professors there. They knew their stuff well. UNT is VERY VERY crowded and the traffic is awful. Horrible parking situations at ALL times. Half of the time life at UNT is hectic. It is hard to make new friends if you are not in a frat house. The drive into dallas is about 50 minutes to an hour.

UTD is in Richardson. There is THE Richardson Wild Flower Festivel which is a 2 or 3 day festivel with well known bands and activities. It is very fun. It takes place every year in May or April.
Richardson/UTD area is not TOO far away from Dallas and Addison. About 20 minute drive to all the bars, malls, sports venues, and huge concert halls in Dallas. 40 minutes away from Denton. Addison has nice places to hang out too, including comedy clubs. Addison is 10 minutes away. Frisco is about 25 mintues away and there is a soccer/concert stadium and great shopping there. UTD is a much smaller and newer campus than UNT. I'm guessing it will probably be much more laid back there. That is a question I am interested in too!

For employment I think UTD has the overall edge. UTD is a 3rd tier school with promise. UTD has a prestigious name and the school will probably become one of the best known in Texas. UNT is still a 4th tier school, mostly known only for its MUSIC program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Ray View Post
Hello!

I am having trouble deciding between UNT and UTD. Im a business major. Ive never lived away from home and the town I live in now is bleak and boring. I want to live in a town that is artsy with friendly people, live music, and generally has things to do. Ive been accepted to both school. I got a transfer scholarship to UTD (doesnt make too much of a difference because its non-resident tuition) and wont know of any scholarships from UNT until the end of June. I hear that UTD has the better reputation?? However, I think that I might enjoy Denton more than the UTD area. I dont know for certain however since I will be moving sight unseen. Is the commute too long and horrible from Denton to Dallas? I was hoping someone could offer some insight as to how the two areas differ? I want to be somewhere laid back. If anyone has suggestions on nice areas to live near UNT, UTD, or both, I would really appreciate it. Is UTD's reputation really that much better than UNT's when it comes to employment? ANY help is appreciate!

Last edited by artsyguy; 04-06-2008 at 08:24 PM..

Old 04-06-2008, 09:34 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,262,603 times
Denton, where UNT is located is much more of a college town.

UTD is in a major metro area that has just about anything you can thing of. Just withing a couple miles of UTD there is just about every restaurant you can think of, from big chains to mom and pop places. There's also tons of shopping nearby. UTD does lack on campus housing.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:33 AM

212 posts, read 1,157,052 times
For a business degree, I'd pick UTD over UNT. UNT might give you a better typical college experience, but that won't help you much after you graduate.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:20 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,073,538 times
UNT gives only a typical college experience if you are in a frat house. Otherwise, it was pretty lame and stressful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlosmTX View Post
For a business degree, I'd pick UTD over UNT. UNT might give you a better typical college experience, but that won't help you much after you graduate.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:53 PM

204 posts, read 1,487,211 times
I think now Im leaning toward UTD. Im not looking for the typical college experience. Im already a Junior. I just want to graduate. Thanks for the advice : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas