Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2018, 02:42 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,875,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Yes, that was the original question... but you made mention that white educated, liberals are more vocal in their political leanings, and I disagreed.

I saw an article the other day on CNN I believe, showing which zip codes had given the most to which political party. Plano TX, 75024 was #3 across all the US for Republicans. The amount given to Democrats around here was very insignificant in comparison. If this race is close at all for Cruz, they really didn't get much of a return on their spending.
So, how does overall spending and willingness to place a sign in the yard correlate? Conservatives tend to be quiet and spend, dems less likely to spend but happy to put up signs and bumper sticker their car.

Anecdotal observation is all. I bet there are more Beto signs than Cruz up in 75024.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 03:10 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,251,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
So, how does overall spending and willingness to place a sign in the yard correlate? Conservatives tend to be quiet and spend, dems less likely to spend but happy to put up signs and bumper sticker their car.

So now you're answering your own questions. Ok.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:13 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,513,082 times
Our HOA (Dallas proper) doesn't allow political signs. I think that might be illegal (?) but nobody seems to be fighting it. Biggest signs I've seen driving Preston Hollow/North Dallas have been for Lisa Luby Ryan. I mean, they are gigantic! Chatted with her a bit when standing in line to vote. Really nice lady, not my party. Saintmarks, I think many people tend to keep quiet no matter their party, just don't want to stand out. What has amazed me are the Beto signs in front of some of the multi-million dollar homes (the big ones) in Preston Hollow. Does that mean anything? I'm not really sure. But it's interesting to me.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:43 AM

200 posts, read 548,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Our HOA (Dallas proper) doesn't allow political signs. I think that might be illegal (?) but nobody seems to be fighting it. Biggest signs I've seen driving Preston Hollow/North Dallas have been for Lisa Luby Ryan. I mean, they are gigantic! Chatted with her a bit when standing in line to vote. Really nice lady, not my party. Saintmarks, I think many people tend to keep quiet no matter their party, just don't want to stand out. What has amazed me are the Beto signs in front of some of the multi-million dollar homes (the big ones) in Preston Hollow. Does that mean anything? I'm not really sure. But it's interesting to me.
That is not very surprising at all based on reporting from both the left and right: (with different explanations of course)
https://www.vox.com/polyarchy/2016/6...-wealthy-party

https://capitalresearch.org/article/party-one-percent/

Two of my past employers had policies that said discussion of politics is not allowed in the office.
I think that kind of makes sense to avoid conflicts and distractions from work.
On one of my jobs years ago I had two co-workers. One of them was a loyal Bush republican (i.e. everything GW did was great and right no matter what) and the other one was a loyal Democrat who is also Jewish. Needless to say I enjoyed two years of heated debates during lunchtime. I'm an independent and was glad that we could all still eat lunch together peacefully.
But I'm not so sure anymore in today's climate. So it's best to keep politics to ourselves. Just my 0.02.
I too also got many text messages from Beto and team despite requesting to be removed from the list.....
Have no idea where they got my personal info. I suspect facebook might have leaked it. I have removed all contact info from facebook now except for e-mail. I really only added my phone number to FB for the 2 step authentication and never thought it might get leaked...

Old 10-27-2018, 08:08 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,469,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjc281 View Post
Two of my past employers had policies that said discussion of politics is not allowed in the office. I think that kind of makes sense to avoid conflicts and distractions from work.
On one of my jobs years ago I had two co-workers. One of them was a loyal Bush republican (i.e. everything GW did was great and right no matter what) and the other one was a loyal Democrat who is also Jewish. Needless to say I enjoyed two years of heated debates during lunchtime. I'm an independent and was glad that we could all still eat lunch together peacefully.
Even though none of my employers had a rule prohibiting the discussion at politics at work, I avoided talking about politics at work. I saw no benefit in it.

Talking about religion, politics, and sex/dating are no go's for me at work, especially when I intend to stay in the job for an extended amount of time.

As an aside, in a certain way, being a retail worker at the store level is liberating, because store level retail tenures are so short, you are allowed more freedoms than being an office worker, such as dating your co-workers and talking about controversial topics. I still wouldn't want that role now even with those freedoms.

Since I do not talk about religion, politics, sex/dating at work, nor do I attempt to date within the companies where I work, it is actually somewhat challenging to find topics to discuss while at work. I do not have children. I'm not all that psyched to hear about other people's children. I don't want to discuss events in college/professional sports. So basically all I can talk about at work besides work is exercise regimens, cooking/eating, and non-controversial current events.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:39 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,560,447 times
Interesting post. In my specific neighborhood (in McKinney), I’d say we have 70 Beto/ 30 Cruz, but probably closer to 60/40 for Stonebridge Ranch as a whole. There are other parts of McKinney were it’s almost all Beto. Does that directly translate to how people in this area will vote? No, I seriously doubt it. Democrats are particularly motivated and vocal this year, but like Rankin said, the houses without signs are most likely either Cruz or non-voters. The ultimate outcome will be determined by who actually gets out and votes. We will see. I am hopeful, but making no assumptions (especially after the last election). A side benefit of all the signs (from a Democrat standpoint) has been to let other Dems that they are not alone in a sea of red. It’s been a great reminder for this life-long Texas Democrat who often feels my vote doesn’t mean much. I think this election will continue to push Texas (slowly but steadily) towards “purple”...which IMO is the best place for Texas, as it will force BOTH sides to become more moderate to stay competitive.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:18 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,251,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
Interesting post. In my specific neighborhood (in McKinney), I’d say we have 70 Beto/ 30 Cruz, but probably closer to 60/40 for Stonebridge Ranch as a whole. There are other parts of McKinney were it’s almost all Beto. Does that directly translate to how people in this area will vote? No, I seriously doubt it. Democrats are particularly motivated and vocal this year, but like Rankin said, the houses without signs are most likely either Cruz or non-voters. The ultimate outcome will be determined by who actually gets out and votes. We will see. I am hopeful, but making no assumptions (especially after the last election). A side benefit of all the signs (from a Democrat standpoint) has been to let other Dems that they are not alone in a sea of red. It’s been a great reminder for this life-long Texas Democrat who often feels my vote doesn’t mean much. I think this election will continue to push Texas (slowly but steadily) towards “purple”...which IMO is the best place for Texas, as it will force BOTH sides to become more moderate to stay competitive.

Well said.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:21 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,875,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
The point I was trying to make earlier. But you said it better.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:30 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,937,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Yes, that was the original question... but you made mention that white educated, liberals are more vocal in their political leanings, and I disagreed.

I saw an article the other day on CNN I believe, showing which zip codes had given the most to which political party. Plano TX, 75024 was #3 across all the US for Republicans. The amount given to Democrats around here was very insignificant in comparison. If this race is close at all for Cruz, they really didn't get much of a return on their spending.
1--signs are not the most accurate measure of how the vote will go
Suggesting it is almost becomes a subtle way to suppress the vote
2--Beto has outspent Cruz --that is documented unless Cruz had lot of donations come in and be allocated over the weekend
3--Beto from what I understand does lot of social media and other placements
Like I saw his ads on Hulu watching some streaming programs a couple of weeks ago
Have never seen a Cruz ad while streaming on an app==
Not to say they aren't advertising that method--maybe I just don't watch their targeted shows
4--in my neighborhood (north Hurst/Tarrant county) there are both signs and signs for candidates in other races. I have one house on street I drive quite often that has only one sign for Glenn Whitly for Judge
There is no way he is losing that seat--that is the ONLY Whitley sign I have seen driving around in last 4 wks
So why that house/that sign????
Personal relationship or maybe works for him, is my guess...

And people on NextDoor which is a neighborhoods' site for posting like FB have complained about signs for Cruz and Beto being taken although I see other signs for other races...
I think it is funny that people who are so politically involved they would steal ads from yards for one race wouldn't take others on same ticket...
Just kids/teens w/o any idea of what democratic process is about...

Old 10-29-2018, 08:29 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,183,277 times
Well, we all know getting caught with your pants down in a motel with a hooker is now perfectly acceptable behavior for politicians. If anything, it may improve Cruz’s odds. More voters than ever are using their votes and are involved in election process, it’s a great sign in my book. This may push local politicians to pay attention to their demographics if they want to stay in this business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas