Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:10 PM

463 posts, read 189,836 times

Advertisements

Just curious

I've been here two years, been going to Watermark for almost the entire time, and I've found that pretty much anywhere I go there are only two kinds of people: 18-24 college kids or young adults right out of college, or 35 + married folk with a kid or two. We're talking in Uptown, North Dallas, Addison, Valley Ranch, Coppell, Plano, everywhere

Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 01:18 PM

4,236 posts, read 6,921,313 times
Everyone's experience will be different. I'm about to be 34. Most of my friends I've made here in the last 3 years are mid 20s to late 30s (big range). I live in the Greenville area and hang out in Lower Greenville, Lakewood, Oak Cliff, Deep Ellum areas regularly. In these areas I have largely met people in their mid 20s to mid 30s with lots of them single, some in a relationship, and fewer of them married. However, as usual, a lot of this will have to do with your social circle as well as the places you choose to hang out.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:18 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,354,554 times
Nope, not a one. In Dallas, if you reach 27 unmarried, you are forcibly ejected. No one who is unmarried is allowed to move in until they reach 39. It's one of the less well-known city ordinances.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:20 PM

4,236 posts, read 6,921,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Nope, not a one. In Dallas, if you reach 27 unmarried, you are forcibly ejected. No one who is unmarried is allowed to move in until they reach 39. It's one of the less well-known city ordinances.
haha

Old 07-12-2018, 01:32 PM

109 posts, read 123,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Everyone's experience will be different. I'm about to be 34. Most of my friends I've made here in the last 3 years are mid 20s to late 30s (big range). I live in the Greenville area and hang out in Lower Greenville, Lakewood, Oak Cliff, Deep Ellum areas regularly. In these areas I have largely met people in their mid 20s to mid 30s with lots of them single, some in a relationship, and fewer of them married. However, as usual, a lot of this will have to do with your social circle as well as the places you choose to hang out.
This. I was around 30 when I moved to Dallas and unmarried at that time. I had lots of friends and co-workers who were in their late 20s or 30s and who were not married or in a relationship. I don't have as great of a sense of the social scene now since I have two young kids, but we also live in the Greenville area and there appear to be plenty of young (but not right out of college) single people hanging out around here on weekends.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:41 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,328,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHouseHunter View Post
Just curious

I've been here two years, been going to Watermark for almost the entire time, and I've found that pretty much anywhere I go there are only two kinds of people: 18-24 college kids or young adults right out of college, or 35 + married folk with a kid or two. We're talking in Uptown, North Dallas, Addison, Valley Ranch, Coppell, Plano, everywhere

Am I missing something?
You've been going to Watermark (the church??) for 2 years and haven't met any single 25-40 year olds? That is literally the entire contents of their young adults program. Are you just going to church or involved in The Porch, community groups, etc??

Amongst my larger circle of friends, most got married between 28-35 (women) and 30-42/3 (men). This was 10 years ago but I cannot imagine that the marrying age has gotten any younger...

Old 07-12-2018, 08:14 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,469,176 times
You are missing something. You need to be hanging out in the bars late at night. There are plenty of singles in bars in Uptown and Deep Ellum. Many are 25+. You listed a few suburban locations. Stay out of the suburbs. Focus on Uptown, Deep Ellum, Lower Greenville, Knox-Henderson. There are also non-bar venues of meeting singles. There are sports leagues, gyms/fitness classes, grocery stores, malls, bookstore, coffee shops, and even on the street.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:14 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,354,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
... You need to be hanging out in the bars late at night. There are plenty of singles in bars in Uptown and Deep Ellum. ...
I'm guessing that someone who regularly attends the giant Baptidome isn't hanging out in a lot of bars.

Just sayin'...

Old 07-13-2018, 07:06 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,273,384 times
I'm 26. Most of my friends are 24-30ish. Some of us live in Irving, the rest in Uptown, Lower Greenville, Deep Ellum, Addison etc. The usual suspects.

I've always found plenty of people in that age range.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:26 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,469,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
You've been going to Watermark (the church??) for 2 years and haven't met any single 25-40 year olds? That is literally the entire contents of their young adults program. Are you just going to church or involved in The Porch, community groups, etc??

Amongst my larger circle of friends, most got married between 28-35 (women) and 30-42/3 (men). This was 10 years ago but I cannot imagine that the marrying age has gotten any younger...
The marrying age hasn't gotten any younger. It continues to increase. Now, even with that being true, finding a person not in a committed relationship after 25 is more challenging. I don't know whether the OP is male or female, so I can't really say much else other than OP will have any easier go of it if female.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I'm guessing that someone who regularly attends the giant Baptidome isn't hanging out in a lot of bars.

Just sayin'...
Good point. I've never been to the Baptidome. I've not had great experiences with Watermark females in a small sample size. One asked me to start attending her church on a 2nd date. That was the last date. Another Watermark female asked me on a first date if I died at that time if I was going to heaven or hell. Nice first date topic!

I did suggest a combination of bar & non-bar venues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas