Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 06:06 AM

67 posts, read 58,153 times

Advertisements

At least in California they have more than just donuts to purchase. I stopped eating donuts long ago, too much sugar....

Don't forget all the DQ (dairy queens) as well, one on every corner. One other thing I've noticed in Texas they will put out a sign that says Brunos, or Swan, or WRL or just a name, what is with marketing here? I have to ask folks what is a Brunos? Oh, thats a Pizza place, or Region, is another what is a Region, oh, thats a bank! With so many folks moving in from some place else please put what it is your selling.

How do all these donut shops stay in business, I'm curious. I'd be putting out a big sign every morning : 6 glazed donuts for $3.00 or whatever they are. next day, another kind of donut, I'd be advertising a big sale every darn day! Or, how about someone dress up in a big donut suit and have the donut dance around out front. or, 10 donut holes for a buck...Ok, now I'm getting carried away.....

Old 09-11-2018, 06:13 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowrose3 View Post
At least in California they have more than just donuts to purchase. I stopped eating donuts long ago, too much sugar....

Don't forget all the DQ (dairy queens) as well, one on every corner. One other thing I've noticed in Texas they will put out a sign that says Brunos, or Swan, or WRL or just a name, what is with marketing here? I have to ask folks what is a Brunos? Oh, thats a Pizza place, or Region, is another what is a Region, oh, thats a bank! With so many folks moving in from some place else please put what it is your selling.
Did you actually read the thread? Posters including me mentioned that the donut shops around here carry more than just sugary donuts. Most local donut shops also carry sausage rolls which are not sugary. I've seen some carry other things like homemade eggrolls, breakfast burritos, etc. One in Fort Worth advertises boba tea. I'm not interested in that but that's definitely different from coffee and a glazed donut. Transplants may expect the donut shops to be just like Dunkin (hate that place) but locals know better.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:37 AM

52 posts, read 46,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
In general retail here is a lot - not only donuts or dentists, but any kind of retail compared to other areas.

Reg. donuts - the best I have ever tasted here is at Max's Donut Shop in Allen - Greenville and Main Street intersection. They serve warm, Super soft and melts in mouth. There will be lines early morning on weekends.
After I came to know about this place, I wouldn't buy donuts anywhere else.

You can try and see the difference.

This x10000. Max's in Allen in bar none the best. They are ALWAYS super soft, and like you said, seem to melt in your mouth. And if you get them while still warm out of the oven

Old 09-11-2018, 09:54 AM

419 posts, read 553,053 times
Max's for sure, but super sugary and heavy. Q Donuts in East Plano is amazing as well, but lighter. I'll take both of those over the Hurts', Hypnotic, Voodoo, etc any day.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aly cat View Post
My husband and I just moved here (to Prosper, but have family in other northern suburbs and have observed the same pattern). We've lived in about 10 different states between the two of us and we cannot fathom why there are so many donut shops here. Like legitimately in every strip plaza-- it is not like this elsewhere. I've tried googling to no avail. What's the scoop? Do Dallas suburbanites go through a dozen per week?

P.S. The same is true for dentists! (maybe its all the donuts )
It's a tool for getting extended family into the US. Ditto for nail salons & dry cleaners.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:02 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's a tool for getting extended family into the US. Ditto for nail salons & dry cleaners.
I've never heard that. I've met dozens of families who have owned donut shops and none of them seem to have that motive. The ones I am close to, including family, have been in the business for decades and have no one they are trying to bring over.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I've never heard that. I've met dozens of families who have owned donut shops and none of them seem to have that motive. The ones I am close to, including family, have been in the business for decades and have no one they are trying to bring over.
It's actually a common thing for immigrant-owned businesses to be a vehicle for bringing relatives over either as "investors" or employees. It's not 100% of them, but it's out there. (And legal.)

Old 09-11-2018, 01:12 PM

578 posts, read 478,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's actually a common thing for immigrant-owned businesses to be a vehicle for bringing relatives over either as "investors" or employees. It's not 100% of them, but it's out there. (And legal.)
I think you misunderstand. “Relatives” along guarantees their entry in US. It's called chain immigration, and it requires no investment or employment.

Two-thirds of US immigrants fall under this category, and the immigrant-owned businesses do help such new immigrants settle and thrive here.

Last edited by jiping; 09-11-2018 at 01:22 PM..

Old 09-11-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post
I think you misunderstand. “Relatives” along guarantees their entry in US. It's called chain immigration, and it requires no investment or employment.

Two-thirds of US immigrants fall under this category, and the immigrant-owned businesses do help such new immigrants settle and thrive here.
Not necessarily. I don't have the time or the inclination to explain how loopholes in US immigration law work but there's plenty out there on Google for you to find. And if you don't want to learn about it, I don't really care.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:43 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Well, I would stick with LSD (Lone Star Donuts) but the old location next to Stonewall Jackson is long gone and apparently LSD is now "Ingram's".

That was our stop-by place before school if we had time, on the way to Stonewall. Or, weekends when Mom didn't want to do anything in the kitchen.

(We were all fat, by the way....)

Have not personally bought donuts since I was in college making weekend meals of Shipley's day-olds 30+ years ago; but maybe next time I'm in town I'll stop by "Ingram's" for old time's sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas