Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 01:34 PM

125 posts, read 151,023 times

Advertisements

I'm so confused, apparently Fruitdale is a part of OC but it's a suburb. Also, is highland hills a neighborhood of Fruitdale or a neighborhood of OC. The question arose because I was at a party in Wheatley Place and there was an argument about if you lived in HH, do you live in the burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 02:03 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,981,484 times
It was a town that was annexed into Dallas decades ago...

BTW if you live anywhere in Dallas with an address that says Dallas, you do not live in the suburbs. Surburbs are completely separate cities surrounding a major city.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:06 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,276,995 times
Fruitdale apparently used to be independent according to Wikipedia, but no longer is, not unlike OC itself which used to be sister cities with Dallas before it was Annexed.

Based on google maps, I wouldn't consider Fruidale part of OC, based on how far East it is of 35 it is, but I know some people use OC very broadly.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:15 PM

307 posts, read 532,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline122 View Post
I'm so confused, apparently Fruitdale is a part of OC but it's a suburb. Also, is highland hills a neighborhood of Fruitdale or a neighborhood of OC. The question arose because I was at a party in Wheatley Place and there was an argument about if you lived in HH, do you live in the burbs.
Fruitdale is now part of Sout Oak Cliff. Oak Cliff is divided by North , South, East and West. Part of Highland Hills(south of Simson Stuart Road) was in the old Wilmer-Hutchins district, but now Wilmer- Hutchins is a Dallas School, which makes sense, since most of it's students live in Dallas.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
It was a town that was annexed into Dallas decades ago...

BTW if you live anywhere in Dallas with an address that says Dallas, you do not live in the suburbs. Surburbs are completely separate cities surrounding a major city.
Yeah, sorta, I mean the term usually means a separate political entity, in the US, but not always, it mostly refers to a largely residential area. In France they would call parts of Paris proper a suburb based on use.

Alot of Dallas proper could be referred to as suburban and have no practical difference between them and the other side of the municipal line.

The differences between urban and suburban are complicated and some people just like to use arbitrary political lines to determine what is what.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suburb

Old 06-10-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Yeah, sorta, I mean the term usually means a separate political entity, in the US, but not always, it mostly refers to a largely residential area. In France they would call parts of Paris proper a suburb based on use.

Alot of Dallas proper could be referred to as suburban and have no practical difference between them and the other side of the municipal line.

The differences between urban and suburban are complicated and some people just like to use arbitrary political lines to determine what is what.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suburb
I’m talking about what we consider suburban in America. Nobody would consider Dallas, (regardless of development) to be a suburb.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:35 PM

125 posts, read 151,023 times
Quote:
I’m talking about what we consider suburban in America. Nobody would consider Dallas, (regardless of development) to be a suburb.
I'm not considering Dallas a suburb, but many would consider far North Dallas to be suburban.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline122 View Post
I'm not considering Dallas a suburb, but many would consider far North Dallas to be suburban.
Suburban in development doesn’t make it a suburb. Honestly, the vast majority of Dallas is suburban in nature due to Dallas being VERY car-centric. Even with that said, most people wouldn’t conisder Dallas to be a suburb.

BTW Far North Dallas is much more densely populated than anywhere in Southern Dallas. It even has numerous highrises that much of Southern Dallas lacks.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Suburban in development doesn’t make it a suburb. Honestly, the vast majority of Dallas is suburban in nature due to Dallas being VERY car-centric. Even with that said, most people wouldn’t conisder Dallas to be a suburb.

BTW Far North Dallas is much more densely populated than anywhere in Southern Dallas. It even has numerous highrises that much of Southern Dallas lacks.
That is true if you go based on municipality alone as your definition of center city and suburbs.

I'm not suggesting that people consider Dallas as a whole to be a "Suburb" but there are certainly parts of Dallas which are pretty suburban.

This is complicated by places such as Cockrell Hill. Would you consider Cockrell Hill to be a Suburb of Dallas? It is completely surrounded by the city of Dallas. It's more Urban (on a grid) and closer to the CBD than lots of other parts of Dallas. What about the Park Cities? Are they suburbs?

I think Dallas is a place where the difference between Urban and Suburban is meshed more than most places, which perhaps lends itself to a more strict adherence to municipal borders than other places.

I know a guy who lives a few blocks away from the Richardson border who got all mad when "People from the suburbs claim to be from Dallas" Even though his lifestyle was the same as someone in Richardson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas