Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 01:30 AM

40 posts, read 28,946 times

Advertisements

We're looking for a safe neighborhood with good access to local shopping, places of interest and a not too awful commute to places like Uptown or Dallas, for things to do once in a while.

Work is mostly remote, but Legacy West is where the office is, if I need to go in, maybe once or twice a week.

No school-age children, and we're not really the outdoorsy types. We like quaint walkable downtowns, farmers markets and museums for things to do.

We're trying to avoid airplane noise, as much as possible.

We like the single level plans by Pulte, but is the Hebron/Lewisville area safe? What is traffic like in that area? Google maps makes it look a little desolate, but surrounding areas look pretty built up. What are property taxes like?

We like the Allen area, but are concerned that it might be a bit remote. We understand the Plano area has fairly heavy traffic during rush hour, which could impact our ability to drive south. Also, we understand that property taxes are higher in Allen.

So, we're interested in hearing opinions about Allen vs Lewisville/Hebron and also Pulte vs MI Homes.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 08:53 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,174,695 times
My personal preference between those two is the Hebron area. I've never been an Allen fan, and the Hebron area is closer to your office. Both areas are very safe though. If you leave your cars outside, just remember to lock the doors and don't leave valuables in plain sight. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:03 AM

427 posts, read 494,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
My personal preference between those two is the Hebron area. I've never been an Allen fan, and the Hebron area is closer to your office. Both areas are very safe though. If you leave your cars outside, just remember to lock the doors and don't leave valuables in plain sight. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity.
Of course - you seem to be in Frisco, so your response inline with expectations. I thought not to post on this forum - but some comments seem to be insane, spreading wrong information and biased. So, keeping quiet is not the right thing to do and responding as appropriate.

Here are the responses to OP, point by point, specific to Allen.

(1) We're looking for a safe neighborhood with good access to local shopping, places of interest and a not too awful commute to places like Uptown or Dallas, for things to do once in a while.

All of Allen is very safe, West more expensive and new.

East of 75, still safe, neat and clean, lots of parks and shopping but old and less expensive.

So, you can choose based on your budget and preferences.

Once in a while commute to Dallas via 75 is straight forward, convenient especially weekends and non peak hours and it is free.

Shopping: Tons of shopping - Upscale Watters Creek, Village at Allen & Fairview, Allen Outlet mall, Stone briar mall is close from west Allen as well.

(2) Work is mostly remote, but Legacy West is where the office is, if I need to go in, maybe once or twice a week.

very close to Legacy west- depending on where in Allen and time of travel, hardly around 15 min via 121 (toll) or via inner roads (no toll)

(3) No school-age children, and we're not really the outdoorsy types. We like quaint walkable downtowns, farmers markets and museums for things to do.

No major downtown in Allen itself, but McKinney historic downtown and Farmers market are very close.
Other museums/attractions in Dallas are accessible via 75 as mentioned above.

(4) We're trying to avoid airplane noise, as much as possible.

No air plane noise at all.

(5) We like the single level plans by Pulte, but is the Hebron/Lewisville area safe? What is traffic like in that area? Google maps makes it look a little desolate, but surrounding areas look pretty built up. What are property taxes like?

Property taxes are around 2.5% of property value, more or less same across DFW, little more or less depending on city. Not sure about Hebron.

(6) We like the Allen area, but are concerned that it might be a bit remote. We understand the Plano area has fairly heavy traffic during rush hour, which could impact our ability to drive south. Also, we understand that property taxes are higher in Allen.

Considering you work from home and occasional travel to Legacy, shouldn't be a bit remote and you have everything you need - parks, shopping, recreation, entertainment, restaurants, hospital within 5-10 minutes drive based on where you live.

Tour all the developments and compare yourself on above before you take a decision.

Last edited by DFWUser1; 10-04-2017 at 11:22 AM..

Old 10-04-2017, 12:45 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Hebron area is much closer to all the downtown cultural attractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-04-2017 at 01:27 PM..

Old 10-04-2017, 01:16 PM

419 posts, read 553,279 times
I'm not familiar with Hebron but live in Twin Creeks in Allen and can give you an idea about the location. We love it because it is so convenient to everything. I can be in West Legacy in less than 15 minutes (in rush hour), less at other times. I can get to all the shopping and restaurants along DNT and Preston from George Bush to Main street in Frisco in 15-20 minutes. Going the other way I can get to quaint downtown Mckinney in a little over 15 and hop on 75 to downtown Plano in 20 mins. Less than 10 mins to the Village at Fairview, Watters Creek, etc. We are often driving into Dallas to go to the zoo, museums, and arboretum, typically around 40 minutes. Same for DFW airport except during rush hour.

Its true there is plenty of traffic in Plano driving south. I drive my kids to the Legacy area for school every day via surface roads. It takes me about 20 minutes with all the school zones.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:18 AM

40 posts, read 28,946 times
Thanks everyone! We've decided to include Craig Ranch in Mckinney as a third option. Ashton Woods is the builder we are considering. We've heard lots of good things about the area, and yes, still a bit concerned about being remote. Any input?

We're making a decision by the end of the weekend.

Thanks again for any insights, opinions and comments!

Old 10-05-2017, 06:00 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,173,706 times
If your jobs are long term and secure than add Allen and McKinney, otherwise Hebron area is a great location for commute to Dallas attractions, most DFW employment hubs and airports. Traffic is getting worse not better so keep that in mind.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:16 AM

630 posts, read 657,568 times
From that new development in Josey Ln your have the easiest and fastest commute to Legacy. That area is slowly filling in with residential development while all commercial stuff is near on 121 and the DNT.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:19 AM

427 posts, read 494,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InqurngMind View Post
Thanks everyone! We've decided to include Craig Ranch in Mckinney as a third option. Ashton Woods is the builder we are considering. We've heard lots of good things about the area, and yes, still a bit concerned about being remote. Any input?

We're making a decision by the end of the weekend.

Thanks again for any insights, opinions and comments!
In addition to Village at Twin creeks, You can also take a look at "Montgomery Ridge" by Ashton woods and compare. There is also another development there Angel Field West Montgomery Farm by Southgate homes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlCc...ature=youtu.be
I suggest to visit the neighborhoods, explore surroundings, look around Montgomery farms area and it's nice - it's also right next to Watters Creek, upscale shopping and close to Allen event center, village at Allen & Fairview and all other amenities. Right next to US 75. And easy access to Legacy west via McDermott Dr. Or Hedgecox Dr / Legacy Dr. You can look at map for these routes.

Market Street Allen USA Celebration is a well attend popular music and family event held annually. Some links for more information.
Market Street Allen USA Celebration
https://www.facebook.com/events/641643076030121/

Lots of new developments (One Bethany) https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ar-us-75-allen

Other developments (https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ter-hotel-us75) happening nearby.

Adding the above details clearly, just in case if you haven't explored. You have to do all the research before you buy!

Just look around all aspects one more time among your shortlists. All the best.

Last edited by DFWUser1; 10-05-2017 at 09:29 AM..

Old 10-05-2017, 09:26 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,173,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
Of course - you seem to be in Frisco, so your response inline with expectations. I thought not to post on this forum - but some comments seem to be insane, spreading wrong information and biased. So, keeping quiet is not the right thing to do and responding as appropriate.

Here are the responses to OP, point by point, specific to Allen.

(1) We're looking for a safe neighborhood with good access to local shopping, places of interest and a not too awful commute to places like Uptown or Dallas, for things to do once in a while.

All of Allen is very safe, West more expensive and new.

East of 75, still safe, neat and clean, lots of parks and shopping but old and less expensive.

So, you can choose based on your budget and preferences.

Once in a while commute to Dallas via 75 is straight forward, convenient especially weekends and non peak hours and it is free.

Shopping: Tons of shopping - Upscale Watters Creek, Village at Allen & Fairview, Allen Outlet mall, Stone briar mall is close from west Allen as well.

(2) Work is mostly remote, but Legacy West is where the office is, if I need to go in, maybe once or twice a week.

very close to Legacy west- depending on where in Allen and time of travel, hardly around 15 min via 121 (toll) or via inner roads (no toll)

(3) No school-age children, and we're not really the outdoorsy types. We like quaint walkable downtowns, farmers markets and museums for things to do.

No major downtown in Allen itself, but McKinney historic downtown and Farmers market are very close.
Other museums/attractions in Dallas are accessible via 75 as mentioned above.

(4) We're trying to avoid airplane noise, as much as possible.

No air plane noise at all.

(5) We like the single level plans by Pulte, but is the Hebron/Lewisville area safe? What is traffic like in that area? Google maps makes it look a little desolate, but surrounding areas look pretty built up. What are property taxes like?

Property taxes are around 2.5% of property value, more or less same across DFW, little more or less depending on city. Not sure about Hebron.

(6) We like the Allen area, but are concerned that it might be a bit remote. We understand the Plano area has fairly heavy traffic during rush hour, which could impact our ability to drive south. Also, we understand that property taxes are higher in Allen.

Considering you work from home and occasional travel to Legacy, shouldn't be a bit remote and you have everything you need - parks, shopping, recreation, entertainment, restaurants, hospital within 5-10 minutes drive based on where you live.

Tour all the developments and compare yourself on above before you take a decision.
Why not buy a townhome in Shops at Legacy area. You’ll have no commute and plenty of things to do. We recently lived there for two weeks as our rental was unoccupied, it was so much fun to be able to walk to restaurants, shopping, theater, gym etc that we are thinking of making a switch of renting out our house and moving in our rental once we retire and don’t want to maintain a full size house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas