Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 02:55 AM

318 posts, read 337,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
You are correct. He said it was closer to about $20,000 after I texted him.

The facts are "It costs my friend substantially more for the ability to have cheaper and closer flights than it does for me."

I spend more time in Hawaii per year than he does and definitely more time in Hawaii now than I ever did when I lived in the Bay Area.

And if you read what I originally wrote it was "I still go to beaches (actually more now than I ever did in the Bay Area), but those beaches are in the Caribbean, Rosemary Beach, or Hawaii."

Still true.

What isn't measured is the significantly lesser amount of pressure of not having to spend substantial amounts for mediocre quality of life.

To me DFW provides what CA did 40 years ago - A great place to raise a family which is very affordable and the ability to live an incredible quality of life with just decent earnings needed from a 2 income household.
You’re comparing prices right now in the Bay Area, you said you were there 10-15 years ago and didn’t buy. You escaped here for cheaper housing it seems.

You have teachers & nurses who bought in the Bay Area in Oakland, San Jose, Livermoore, Walmut Creek, & Santa Clara who now have more than doubled. They won. So people missed the boat and moved to Texas because they didn’t and try to convince themselves they they are now doing souch better because they save on a mortgage.

Once again tell that to a person that goes to Napa, Santa Cruz, Skiing in Tahoe, Hiking, and enjoys beautiful weather year round.

Everyone doesn’t think that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 06:14 AM

964 posts, read 877,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonview View Post
You’re comparing prices right now in the Bay Area, you said you were there 10-15 years ago and didn’t buy. You escaped here for cheaper housing it seems.

You have teachers & nurses who bought in the Bay Area in Oakland, San Jose, Livermoore, Walmut Creek, & Santa Clara who now have more than doubled. They won. So people missed the boat and moved to Texas because they didn’t and try to convince themselves they they are now doing souch better because they save on a mortgage.

Once again tell that to a person that goes to Napa, Santa Cruz, Skiing in Tahoe, Hiking, and enjoys beautiful weather year round.

Everyone doesn’t think that way.
I did buy in 2002 and sold at the height, left the Bay Area and then the bottom fell out. Prices now are back to the height or higher.

I never missed the boat. Sold at end of 2005 a 1900sf home for $820,000. Still own multiple properties there that were bought after the collapse. Mostly commercial and apartment buildings at this point.

I still go to Napa or France or Italy for wine country. Can't ski but if I did I would go to Jackson Hole or Park City or Aspen. If I wanted to hike I would just go to South America.

Funny but I still know hundreds of people from CA (both Southern and Northern) and I can't think of 1 who goes to Napa more than once per year (if that) who go skiing more than 2-3 times per year (and then they only go for Saturday and Sunday), or who are world class hikers climbing great mountains.

That all looks real good on paper but as a previous poster pointed out most people's day are setup in a way that you pretty much do the same types of things regardless of where you live.

I am not telling anyone they can't like one place or the other better, but as I pointed out I have the opportunity and ability to live in CA and I choose here. Tens of thousands of others (some on this board) also have the opportunity to live in CA and choose not to. Many of us still go to beaches, ski, hike, and do all the things that people do in Utopia.....err I mean CA. Some of us even have more opportunity to enjoy life because we don't live in CA.

Many of us also go outside (a lot) in June, July, August, and September.

Last edited by kyam11; 10-16-2018 at 06:25 AM..

Old 10-16-2018, 08:43 AM

19,798 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taub201 View Post
$3M mortgage? That's in a suburb? I'm thinking more like Pleasanton to Plano. The NorCal folks tend to stay in Cal at much higher rates than the SoCal ones. At least that's what I heard from McKesson. Those McKesson folks tended to live outside the city unless they were super high up -- SVP+ -- or millennials.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...l-universities

As far as colleges go, California has spent way more per student than Texas and has smaller classes on average.

7. Stanford
12. Cal Tech
16. Rice
19. UCLA
22. Cal-Berkeley
22. USC
30. UCSB
33. UC-Irvine
38. UC-Davis
41. UCSD
46. Pepperdine
49. UT-Austin

There must be pretty good students in California feeding into these colleges. The top schools have strong Asian and OOS draws as well. UT only gets 10% from OOS. Rice and SMU (#59) are about half OOS. We send a lot of students out of state to OU, Arkansas, Colorado, etc. plus top 50 schools like Georgia, UVa, USC...
1). It's your prerogative to take US based rankings as holy writ. I don't. Between grad and undergrad UT has roughly 90 top ten programs. That's simply not congruent with UT being ranked #49. The methodologies used by US magazines for their campus wide rankings are lame bathroom quality reading. For that matter how in the heck is CalTech only ranked #12?
2). UT is a state school limited by law to 10% OSS kids.
3). No question TX is a net exporter of high quality high school grads - TX has been such for many years.
4). So far as funding..........endowments:
UT - $26.5 billion
A&M - $11.5 billion (both UT and A&M will see significant increases this year and next)
Entire UC System - $9.78 billion across 10 schools

For the record CA's UC, Cal State and community college system is the best in the world by far. CA has implemented and for decades maintained a system that is quite rigidly based on academic merit. Generally speaking, only top notch students get into any of the UC schools, students a notch below state schools, marginal students community college. Unfortunately, the automatic admission rules in Texas are a step in the opposite direction. UT and A&M in particular must take a good number of kids who would have no shot at any UC school. They suffer doubly as the lower quality autoadmit kids are warehoused into a few fairly lame programs and they just kill UT and A&M in the rankings people like to show around.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:48 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
I have discovered Nirvana.

I wake up early and log on to a webcam of Taos ski valley in NM and view the sunrise from the cam in a ridge where the mountain and sun rise colors are awesome. After an hour my need for mountain views is done and life moves on.

I can do this from anywhere and live where life is friendly and simple unlike Ca and other places ithers seem to worship. I do not care to see icean views as the hurricane risk far exceeds any benefit I get from seeing an ocean view.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:23 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
But don't you know that if you live in California, manna from heaven descends at 7:30 each morning, the rivers run with milk on Monday Wednesday Friday and alternate Saturdays, honey on Tuesday Thursday Sunday and alternate Saturdays (never never milk and honey at the same time), and you'll spend all your mornings surfing and all your afternoons skiiing. Every window in your home will either look out on a snowcapped mountain or a tropical beach, you will be tall blond and beautiful, and you'll never get old.

Later in the day, when you start gettting hungry (manna is quite nutritious, but it doesn't really stick to your ribs) you just walk out your door and pull fresh fruit off any tree.

Honestly, I am not sure why there are still people so benighted that they haven't moved to California yet. I can understand why the Toyota people who were told they had to move were so upset. I know one group of them went all the way to Toyota head offices on their knees like the penitents of old, begging not to be expelled from the Garden.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:23 PM

313 posts, read 368,323 times
While many programs are strong at UT and A&M, isn't a big part of the ranking disparity due to large class sizes and funding per student? I guess CA spends its endowment money but TX systems do not. Otherwise, wouldn't the spending per student and class sizes be more comparative to California's? According to a recruiter, only the A&M engineering school restricts admission. Surprisingly, if you are top 10% you can get into the b-school if you apply while there's space. UT has restrictions for both engineering and business. Others?

This past year UCLA received more than 113,000 applications. I've seen that 80% of our high school's applicants got into A&M so at least it's an accessible option. Not so much for engineering but for other majors.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

Honestly, I am not sure why there are still people so benighted that they haven't moved to California yet. I can understand why the Toyota people who were told they had to move were so upset. I know one group of them went all the way to Toyota head offices on their knees like the penitents of old, begging not to be expelled from the Garden.
And in front of them sitting on a celestial throne, was Nancy Pelosi dressed as Athena, bestowing grace upon the people.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:22 AM

8,151 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
I did buy in 2002 and sold at the height, left the Bay Area and then the bottom fell out. Prices now are back to the height or higher.

I never missed the boat. Sold at end of 2005 a 1900sf home for $820,000. Still own multiple properties there that were bought after the collapse. Mostly commercial and apartment buildings at this point.

I still go to Napa or France or Italy for wine country. Can't ski but if I did I would go to Jackson Hole or Park City or Aspen. If I wanted to hike I would just go to South America.

Funny but I still know hundreds of people from CA (both Southern and Northern) and I can't think of 1 who goes to Napa more than once per year (if that) who go skiing more than 2-3 times per year (and then they only go for Saturday and Sunday), or who are world class hikers climbing great mountains.

That all looks real good on paper but as a previous poster pointed out most people's day are setup in a way that you pretty much do the same types of things regardless of where you live.

I am not telling anyone they can't like one place or the other better, but as I pointed out I have the opportunity and ability to live in CA and I choose here. Tens of thousands of others (some on this board) also have the opportunity to live in CA and choose not to. Many of us still go to beaches, ski, hike, and do all the things that people do in Utopia.....err I mean CA. Some of us even have more opportunity to enjoy life because we don't live in CA.

Many of us also go outside (a lot) in June, July, August, and September.

Plenty of people from CA and CO alike, ski all the time. Of course, it is often the weekends, for obvious reasons. Preserve vacations for something else.

P.S. Well, actually I've been told in Colorado, that they avoid skiing during the Texas spring break. For two reasons, lol.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:33 AM

19,798 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taub201 View Post
While many programs are strong at UT and A&M, isn't a big part of the ranking disparity due to large class sizes and funding per student? I guess CA spends its endowment money but TX systems do not. Otherwise, wouldn't the spending per student and class sizes be more comparative to California's? According to a recruiter, only the A&M engineering school restricts admission. Surprisingly, if you are top 10% you can get into the b-school if you apply while there's space. UT has restrictions for both engineering and business. Others?

This past year UCLA received more than 113,000 applications. I've seen that 80% of our high school's applicants got into A&M so at least it's an accessible option. Not so much for engineering but for other majors.
1). Usually US magazine rankings do apply some weight to class size.. However, I don't recall reading anything about spending per student being a factor.

2). Schools attempt to retain as much endowment money as possible. Earnings from endowments pay for things like endowed faculty positions and research.

3). FWIIW, I've dug around A&M's business school a lot lately as I may take an adjunct faculty position there next year although I'd technically be in another department. The Mays school accepts exactly 1,000 freshmen every fall and no one is auto-admitted in. The admissions office looks at every app. using selection criteria that is secret. Mays also accepts a max of 100 major change students per year - a 3.50 college GPA is the minimum to be considered. The Mays school whether freshmen applicants, major change applicants or transfer applicants is significantly oversubscribed, something like 3x oversubscribed. Further, anything STEM, ag, firefighting, oceanography, atmospheric sciences, nursing, public health etc. at A&M is/are competitive admit.

4). Autoadmit rules botch UT and A&Ms acceptance rates. Just about everyone qualifying as an autoadmit who applies has to be accepted. That covers roughly 75% of the students at both schools. You see the issue.

If I get your meaning by "restrictions".........At UT all high school grads who finish in the Top 6%, as of next fall, of their class must be admitted into the university. A UT autoadmit, unless this has changed in the last couple of years, is only entitled admission into a few programs in the college of arts and sciences. Everything else is competitive admission. No one auto admits into math, engineering business, biology etc.

At A&M there are two broad autoadmit schemes. Any kid who finishes in the top 10% of his/her high school class, with some minimum SAT/ACT, is in. Also any kid who finishes in the top 25% of his/her high school class and scores a 30 ACT or equivalent SAT (1370?) is in. As with UT all of the choice programs are competitive admit not just engineering.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:43 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,199 times
Know this is a 2-year old thread, but the title and OP was and is of interest because we are seriously considering a move to DFW, and in my job search Toyota is one potential employer.

I remember before moving back to the US, before this thread started, I was between CA, TX, NC and FL as these seemed to be some of the stronger job markets at the time, based on a Forbes article I read plus some others.

When I was looking into CA, OC specifically, I saw that Toyota was a potential employer but that they were moving to TX.

We wound up in NC because that is where work took me, and while we like it here, it's time for a job change as I smell smoke. Research and experience tell me there is more opportunity in DFW, and there are other pluses there for us as well.

Is the Toyota move complete? Do people enjoy working there? Do those from CA feel the move was worth it for them?

I'm certainly not limiting my search to Toyota, in fact when I check their job board I rarely see roles that are a fit, and other companies with 2000-3000-7000 people sized offices have more potential, but I did want to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas