Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 05:11 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,226,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
At that temperature, do you swim all year?

Dumb question, but it seems that in DFW, pools are not winterized like they are here in NC. Is that right?
No. Texans use their pools in winters too though not as often as rest of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 07:24 PM

20,246 posts, read 18,541,364 times
Quote:

Dumb question, but it seems that in DFW, pools are not winterized like they are here in NC. Is that right?
Winterizing pools is very uncommon around here.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:49 PM

9,552 posts, read 7,146,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Winterizing pools is very uncommon around here.
Good, thanks! I enjoy seeing the water all year.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Good, thanks! I enjoy seeing the water all year.
We use either our pool or spa probably 300 days per year.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:05 PM

9,552 posts, read 7,146,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
We use either our pool or spa probably 300 days per year.
That is awesome! The only thing that would be better is if Texas had those huge screened areas over the whole pool like they have in Florida.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:05 AM

25,318 posts, read 11,692,523 times
Have you looked into swim spas? You do not have to deal with permits and lot lines, can control temperature year round, no weeks of construction, some offer a spa section.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:09 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,309,558 times
Quote:

Correct, I don't know anyone that winterizes their pool here. We could swim all year if we wanted to, but the bigger the temperature differential between the pool and outside, the longer it takes to heat and the more costly it is. My wife won't get in unless the pool is 88 or higher. I like 82 or higher, I think 85-86 is about perfect.

This year, we were using the pool at the end of April. We still use the pool in October, and sometimes even in November. So, it's not uncommon to use a pool 8 months out of the year here, and if we wanted, we could stretch it a bit more but it's a trade off between using the pool and having a reasonable gas bill in the winter months. If we had a spa we'd use it year round. I used to love getting in the hot tub during the winter at our old house.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Correct, I don't know anyone that winterizes their pool here. We could swim all year if we wanted to, but the bigger the temperature differential between the pool and outside, the longer it takes to heat and the more costly it is. My wife won't get in unless the pool is 88 or higher. I like 82 or higher, I think 85-86 is about perfect.

This year, we were using the pool at the end of April. We still use the pool in October, and sometimes even in November. So, it's not uncommon to use a pool 8 months out of the year here, and if we wanted, we could stretch it a bit more but it's a trade off between using the pool and having a reasonable gas bill in the winter months. If we had a spa we'd use it year round. I used to love getting in the hot tub during the winter at our old house.
We use the pool early and late until it the water is pretty cool for Texans ~80/81. Lower than that and we'll fire up the spa and hop between the heated spa water and the pool. Once the pool is really cold less than 72 or so it's the spa all the time. Save a few weekends when we'll heat the entire thing.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:17 PM

188 posts, read 234,686 times
Don't forget to consider the time to build...it'll probably take 12 weeks with the build with the backlog of pool work. The summer might be over by then and unless you spring for a heater you've only got a month before it gets too cold to swim.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:43 PM

630 posts, read 668,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Have you looked into swim spas? You do not have to deal with permits and lot lines, can control temperature year round, no weeks of construction, some offer a spa section.
Depends on the model. A Friend bought one of those and it did need an elaborate installation (lifting the thing with a crane over the house into the backyard and getting permits since the weight of the structure with water required a building a proper foundation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas