Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 09:53 PM

15 posts, read 21,472 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to the Dallas Area in November for a job in Richardson. They made him a good offer through a recruiter and though it was less pay than his job in Southern California we took it because he grew up in Fort Worth and his whole family is here and with our daughter at Baylor he was anxious to "come back home". We also knew the cost of living was less. After a positive review and a bonus from his company 2 weeks prior he was called in at 4pm the day after Easter and told "we are going in a different direction". Apparently they hired an outside consultant who wanted one of his contacts in my husband's position. (They also took his 2 weeks of accrued vacation which I soon learned employers can do here in Texas, it is illegal in California as it is earned/accrued based on hours worked) He has been an IT Director in the Healthcare Industry for the last 15 years and has ever experienced a layoff. This is particularly devastating because we have not had time to network here and all our contacts are back in California. We had signed a contract for a new home build and they were nice enough to give us the bulk of our deposit back (his company even encouraged him to buy a house in the area!). For all those newly relocating I can't stress enough to anyone who moves here to have that "emergency fund" because we were totally blindsided by this. We have about a 5 to 6 month emergency fund before we have to dip into our deposit we were saving for our home here and I expect his job search to take longer due to our lack of local connections. So the moral of this story is to have the emergency savings, don't wait to network and pay off debt before buying a home because you just never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 10:24 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,215,311 times
This is what I was ranting about in kitchen thread. I'm sorry for you OP and wish you best of luck. This is a rough time for you but on bright side, this too shall pass.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:30 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,572,677 times
That's the downside of "business friendly" Texas. There are some pretty crappy people out there. Good luck, DFW is booming so if you stay I'm sure you'll find work.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:34 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,498,025 times
Just look at it like this.....Everything happens for a reason. One unbelievably good door closes for an EVEN MORE unbelievable door to open.

There's a silver lining in every situation.

Moral of story....His next job will pay way more and will be tons better.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:48 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,295,801 times
Sorry to hear OP.

However, I believe the other posters are right... if you're out of a job, this is a GREAT place to be living, as new companies and new opportunities are springing up constantly. There's also been a big increase in the number of hospitals and healthcare facilities in the northern suburbs. I'm confident your husband can find another job soon.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:15 AM

702 posts, read 2,735,187 times
McKesson and AmerisourceBergen are currently expanding in the area. Maybe he can start looking there? Best of luck!!

Old 04-29-2017, 08:24 AM

8,249 posts, read 8,476,108 times
Changing jobs is always a risk.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:25 AM

165 posts, read 199,210 times
File for unemployment benefits immediately and avoid working for small companies. Go dual income and build up your savings.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:50 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,444,611 times
I'm sorry that happened to your husband, but that's business - in Texas or anywhere else. Change in management / ownership / direction often leaves talented mid-level managers out of a job. Lucky for your husband, the DFW area is a great place for healthcare and IT industries so he should leverage his recruiter, California contacts, his local family (never know who might know someone!) and just start cold networking here. He'll land somewhere and things will be ok. He's far from the first person this has ever happened to!

I do agree with the pp - if he hasn't filed for UI benefits, he should do so ASAP. That's what they're there for.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:41 AM

25,077 posts, read 11,478,931 times
I am not familiar with the fact that accrued PTO can be wiped out in TX. Can someone please post a link to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas