Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 10:17 PM

15 posts, read 21,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prumio View Post
Do not overlook the large medical centers in the area: Baylor University Med Ctr, UTSouthwestern, Presbyterian. Not only do they have IT at their main campuses, many of them are branching to satellite facilities throughout the Metroplex. Also, Texas Health Resources, Tenet, Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Centers For Medicare & Medicaid Services has employees in the area; not sure whether they work out of the Social Security office or what, but worth looking into. Good luck.
I will give him the list and he can research contacts. I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 10:22 PM

He filed for unemployment 2 days after layoff, met with Texas Workforce regarding additional training but they want him to be out of a job for at least 8 weeks. He is working with a recruiter and applying to jobs online (a long shot) everyday. I have asked for as many hours as they can give me at my work but i am in retail and my pay is very low. I appreciate everyone who took the time to write. I am careful with every penny we spend and am praying this will lead to something better. The hardest part is knowing the job he had in California was stable and he would probably never have been laid off.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:45 AM

2,320 posts, read 2,558,074 times
OP, one piece of advice for your husband's job search: Avoid offers from law firms.
Best of luck on the job search and hope you can stay in the Dallas area...it really is a great place to live.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:39 PM

21 posts, read 15,499 times
I don't use this forum much, other than to read once in a while, so I can't figure out how to send a private message. OP - my husband is CIO for a company newly HQ'd in Richardson. If you know how to 'pm' please send me one so I can give you an email address for him to send his resume. NO PROMISES, obviously.... not even sure what he's currently hiring for, but I recall him recently telling me he had about 100 resumes to review for some positions.

Actually, maybe there aren't pms here. I don't want to put my email address out there - or his, but if you want to put yours, then I'll contact you.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:57 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Aruba View Post
I don't use this forum much, other than to read once in a while, so I can't figure out how to send a private message. OP - my husband is CIO for a company newly HQ'd in Richardson. If you know how to 'pm' please send me one so I can give you an email address for him to send his resume. NO PROMISES, obviously.... not even sure what he's currently hiring for, but I recall him recently telling me he had about 100 resumes to review for some positions.

Actually, maybe there aren't pms here. I don't want to put my email address out there - or his, but if you want to put yours, then I'll contact you.
Click on the user name (the blue name in the left corner) and click on the link that says "send a direct message".

This is quite nice of you.

Best of luck OP. It's a nightmarish scenario for anyone who relocates.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:43 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
I'm sorry to hear about this :/

FWIW, the following companies have huge IT shops in this area:

PepsiCo
State Farm
Texas Instruments
AT&T
Southwest Airlines
American Airlines/Sabre

And I know there has to be more

Old 05-08-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Aruba View Post

Thank you so much Donna, your offer is more than generous. I got your message and will have him send his resume.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I'm sorry to hear about this :/

FWIW, the following companies have huge IT shops in this area:

PepsiCo
State Farm
Texas Instruments
AT&T
Southwest Airlines
American Airlines/Sabre

And I know there has to be more
Thank you for the list. i appreciate it.
We have been researching many jobs by company and were pretty shocked to see this:
Top 100 H1B Visa Sponsors -2016 H1B Visa Report | MyVisaJobs.com
Texas is a huge sponsor H1B1 jobs for tech. In general because I know so many kids in college going into STEM majors and other unemployed tech people I find it hard to believe that there are no qualified US applicants for any of the jobs listed here:
New Jobs from H1B Visa and Green Card Sponsors in Texas, Browse by Cities | Myvisajobs.com
Some of them were for schoolteachers and I know one of the newly credentialed math teachers who lives in our building is having a hard time finding a job and Dallas USD has a listing for a math teacher.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:18 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triciaandpat View Post
Thank you for the list. i appreciate it.
We have been researching many jobs by company and were pretty shocked to see this:
Top 100 H1B Visa Sponsors -2016 H1B Visa Report | MyVisaJobs.com
Texas is a huge sponsor H1B1 jobs for tech. In general because I know so many kids in college going into STEM majors and other unemployed tech people I find it hard to believe that there are no qualified US applicants for any of the jobs listed here:
New Jobs from H1B Visa and Green Card Sponsors in Texas, Browse by Cities | Myvisajobs.com
Some of them were for schoolteachers and I know one of the newly credentialed math teachers who lives in our building is having a hard time finding a job and Dallas USD has a listing for a math teacher.
This is a "last stop city" for jobs before they get offshored.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:10 PM

628 posts, read 818,784 times
It sounds like he was placed by an external recruiter. They usually charge HUGE fees to the employers if they are going to keep them, yet offer the company a contingency plan if it doesn't work out. My advice to you would be, do you want to continue to stay in DFW? If so, than your going to have to keep looking for work. Your also at a disadvantage, because many employers prefer candidates who are working, rather than unemployed ones. If he is able to go back to his previous job in California, that could be another option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas