Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 11:41 AM

5 posts, read 6,527 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for any replies. Reading through posts here over the past hour or so I've already learned a lot, and appreciate the time of all who take the it to help answer questions about the area.

I am accepting a job in Addison, Texas, and will be moving from a nice suburb in Northwest Houston together with my wife and our two children, 9 and 7. While we weren't looking forward to a move necessarily, we are approaching it with an open mind and are looking forward to getting to know the DFW area. We really aren't unhappy with our situation in Houston. That is to say, we like suburban living with the modern amenities (we live in a community with a lake, swimming areas, shopping, etc) and child-friendly bike-trails features, etc. We are, right now, about a 15-20 minute drive from a plethora of ethnically diverse and wonderful food choices, or nightlife, and we don't mind Ubering into town on the few occasions a month we get to take a break from parenting. Primarily, we want a family friendly community with good schools where the things we are focused on most (raising kids) are easiest and best supported. I don't mind a commute into Addison if that's not the area, but would prefer the commute not exceed 45 minutes (I can live with an hour but would prefer less). The shorter the commute the better.

Our housing budget max right now is $450,000. My wife is from Vancouver, CA, and didn't grow up driving. She can do it, but doesn't like to, so any community that offered walkable/bike friendly amenities is a plus but not essential.

Again, thanks for replies in advance! All ideas are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 12:29 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
I would look in Richardson, specifically to homes ultimately zoned to Pearce or Richardson high schools. This area is just to the east of Addison, roughly bordered by Preston, 635, 75, and 190. Your commute will be in the 10-20 minute range, schools are excellent. Richardson has a great public parks & trails system and well-managed city and schools. Richardson is diverse- Chinatown is off 75 & Beltline east of 75, and there are many family-owned Middle Eastern and Asian restaurants there, as well as close access to Beltline & Dallas Tollroad area which has everything from major chains to fancy steakhouses. $450k is a "sweet spot" budget for Richardson, but beware the city was built in the 1950-70's so it's not McMansion-ville. If you could find a home walking distance to Coit & Campbell, your wife would not have to drive for most daily shopping needs.

If you want a bigger/newer home, Plano is the next closest suburb. Also has fantastic public schools and is diverse, but mainly built in the 1980-1990's. There is some brand new construction in central Plano; not sure if $450k is enough to buy into it. Most relos are into new construction which is why I mention.

Addison itself is not zoned to great schools and is more suited for singles and empty nesters than families. Not a ton of SFH options there.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:44 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I would look in Richardson, specifically to homes ultimately zoned to Pearce or Richardson high schools. This area is just to the east of Addison, roughly bordered by Preston, 635, 75, and 190. Your commute will be in the 10-20 minute range, schools are excellent. Richardson has a great public parks & trails system and well-managed city and schools. Richardson is diverse- Chinatown is off 75 & Beltline east of 75, and there are many family-owned Middle Eastern and Asian restaurants there, as well as close access to Beltline & Dallas Tollroad area which has everything from major chains to fancy steakhouses. $450k is a "sweet spot" budget for Richardson, but beware the city was built in the 1950-70's so it's not McMansion-ville. If you could find a home walking distance to Coit & Campbell, your wife would not have to drive for most daily shopping needs.

If you want a bigger/newer home, Plano is the next closest suburb. Also has fantastic public schools and is diverse, but mainly built in the 1980-1990's. There is some brand new construction in central Plano; not sure if $450k is enough to buy into it. Most relos are into new construction which is why I mention.

Addison itself is not zoned to great schools and is more suited for singles and empty nesters than families. Not a ton of SFH options there.
We live in Richardson and can ride our bikes to countless stores & restaurants within a 2.5 mile radius of the house (including the Coit & Campbell intersection).

How many errands you can run on a bicycle largely depends on how much you can carry on your bicycle, not how far away most things are. Richardson is also very bike-friendly, though I myself avoid cycling on main roads because I don't like cars whizzing past me. There is almost always another way to go that doesn't involve a major road.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:46 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,172,267 times
Welcome to West Plano!

Old 03-15-2017, 12:50 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Welcome to West Plano!
OP wants a short commute and a bike-friendly area. Richardson is it.

Plus...no toll roads getting to Addison from Richardson. Another plus.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:02 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,172,267 times
Addison is minutes away from far west Plano, you can just take Midway or Marsh. Parts of Richardson work as good but rest of Plano/Richardson are in similar boat. I dropped my friend at Trinity Christian Academy in Adisson after an event at Prestonwood Baptist Church and it took me less than 10 minutes.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:51 PM

158 posts, read 181,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormorant2128 View Post
Our housing budget max right now is $450,000.
As some other poster mentioned, Central Plano would suit your budget along with a reasonable commute to Addison, schools, amenities etc. Houses here were built in 80s & 90s, so relatively newer than Richardson. Although older remodeled houses (in Richardson) are just as good, IMO, but don't know if they'll fall in your budget.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:30 PM

385 posts, read 488,832 times
As others have said, my first thought was Richardson.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:24 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,556,121 times
When you say NW Houston, do you mean within the loop or the Spring/Klein/Tomball/Cypress area?

Old 03-15-2017, 07:27 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,235 times
I would say say Richardson. Probably the most bike friendly Dallas suburb, and lots of good places to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: