Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 02:33 PM

16 posts, read 41,360 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently moved here for his job, and are in the process of getting ready to seriously house shop-perhaps buy. In the interest of full disclosure, this move has been very difficult-for me in particular. We both spend all of our lives until now on the East Coast, and while I have moved to cities where I didn't know a single person, the adjustment here has been far worse. Particularly the sprawling nature of Dallas and the fact that there is no 'true' downtown. We were living in downtown Philadelphia before coming here and there is really nothing comparable for us.

My job is in Fort Worth and his is in Dallas, we are currently renting in Grand Prairie. Our initial thought was that we would live close to Fort Worth but near a TRE stop so that he could take advantage of public transportation. It has become clear to us that that won't work out since the area hasn't really embraced public transportation and the nicer areas are not near the train station.

After looking around we have settled on Kessler Park, mostly because we thought that the neighborhood seems nice, and we might actually fit in. Contrary to the state's reputation, I have found people here to be less friendly than anywhere else I have moved-friendly at work and at the store, but no one really reaching out beyond that.

Any thoughts on the Kessler Park neighborhood would be really appreciated. This is really a struggle for me-we are probably going to have to be here for at least 5 years, and the idea of actually buying a house and making this move permanent is really hard for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 03:33 PM

6,825 posts, read 14,058,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recently relocated View Post
My husband and I recently moved here for his job, and are in the process of getting ready to seriously house shop-perhaps buy. In the interest of full disclosure, this move has been very difficult-for me in particular. We both spend all of our lives until now on the East Coast, and while I have moved to cities where I didn't know a single person, the adjustment here has been far worse. Particularly the sprawling nature of Dallas and the fact that there is no 'true' downtown. We were living in downtown Philadelphia before coming here and there is really nothing comparable for us.

My job is in Fort Worth and his is in Dallas, we are currently renting in Grand Prairie. Our initial thought was that we would live close to Fort Worth but near a TRE stop so that he could take advantage of public transportation. It has become clear to us that that won't work out since the area hasn't really embraced public transportation and the nicer areas are not near the train station.

After looking around we have settled on Kessler Park, mostly because we thought that the neighborhood seems nice, and we might actually fit in. Contrary to the state's reputation, I have found people here to be less friendly than anywhere else I have moved-friendly at work and at the store, but no one really reaching out beyond that.

Any thoughts on the Kessler Park neighborhood would be really appreciated. This is really a struggle for me-we are probably going to have to be here for at least 5 years, and the idea of actually buying a house and making this move permanent is really hard for me.

I love Kessler Park and wish I could afford to live there. Its a small and very tight knit community and the mature trees and established houses are to die for. I think the place is so underated since they fly so far underneath the radar. The only drawbacks I see is kids would have to go to private school and trips to a decent grocery store would be a longer drive than normal. Other than that its paradise in my eye.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:49 PM

Thanks for responding. I didn't even think about a grocery store, but since we will need to drive no matter what that is probably OK.

We don't have kids so the shcools aren't a big issue for us.

I really appreciate your insight, it helps a lot.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:23 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,490,687 times
I love Kessler Park and have a few friends there. Most shop at the Tom Thumb on Hampton, and do a big shop at Whole Foods on lower Greenville - they really don't seem to mind the drive.

I don't know Grand Prairie at all, but I'm guessing that you'll much happier in Kessler Park. I see GP more as a suburb where you'll drive into your huose from the alley and not really see you neighbors much...that's just my thinking. Kessler Park being an older area, the driveways are entered from the street - I don't care what most people think, but I think this makes a huge difference to prevent that isolating feeling. I've driven in areas where there are no driveways and the street just feels dead...but I'm sensitive to these things.

Most of Kessler Park (and Oak Cliff) hangs out in Bishop Arts District - go out for a meal...Hattie's, Zen Sushi, Tillman's Roadhouse. The entire area stays open late on the first Thursday of the month - it would be a good way to get a feel for the area. Other hangouts are: the Bar at the Belmont Hotel, Kavala on Davis (a man I know from Kessler Park who moved to University Park still goes to Kavala and hangs out...you'll know him when you see him; kind of a Jack Nicholson).

Finding the right neighborhood makes ALL the difference in being happy in a new area.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:30 PM

6,825 posts, read 14,058,771 times
If I could live in any part of DFW I wanted it would be the Kessler/Stevens park area. If I did not have kids it would be a no brainer for me because that area has everything I would ever want. It's a true gem.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:33 PM

116 posts, read 448,463 times
Kessler Heights is an amazing area with beautiful historic homes. Winneteka Heights is also another "gem" next to Kessler. Many of my friends loved the location to downtown, DFW airport & Ft Worth. Both neighborhood associations are strong and online!
Kessler Neighbors United
Winnetka Heights :: Historic Neighborhood in Old Oak Cliff, Dallas, Texas

Old 02-26-2008, 08:43 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,273,353 times
I wouldn't be happy here if I had to live in a suburb either! Kessler Park is beautiful and close to downtown. It'll be much better.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:01 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,602,188 times
And one would hope that the questionable areas around these beautiful places will trend upward over the next 5-10 years, given the potential with the Trinity River project. My wife and I eventually decided to not move there due to proximity to shopping/restaurants (we love the Knox/Hendersen area in particular) and wanted to be closer to it. We did end up in Lake Highlands - partly due to the lower price per sq ft and partly because we felt the area was on the verge of also going through some very good development (see the Lake Highlands thread - the LH Town Center + an announcement of two more apartment complexes are going to get renovated just south of the town center).

Old 02-26-2008, 09:34 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied. We know that every area has a few drawbacks, but based on what we have seen we think this is probably the best fit for us.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:04 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,602,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recently relocated View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied. We know that every area has a few drawbacks, but based on what we have seen we think this is probably the best fit for us.
When you land with a home - make sure to take some pics and post them! And if you do any fixing up - always love to see before/after pics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas