Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 04:34 PM

11 posts, read 11,198 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your reply CookieBoss80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieBoss80 View Post
Even though I agree with above posters about Allen being a less than ideal choice academically or logistically, their high school starts at 10th grade so it may suit your sophomore better. Unfortunately for your 8th graders, it can be too much to move to Texas, stay in middle school one year, move to freshman center next and Allen high year after.

Lovejoy is a smaller community so it can be difficult to walk in as a sophmore and navigate social cliques. Richardson and McKinney are mixed bags. Frisco has smaller schools so again difficult to walk in as a sophomore. It's easier to find your niche in a bigger student body.

It is difficult moving at that age not only socially but for academics and extracurriculars as well. Keep your kid involved in decision making so he won't feel like things getting imposed upon him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 06:38 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,768,301 times
We moved to Allen and have been very happy. My son was in 8th grade at Ereckson and is now a sophomore at the high school. He was very shy and managed to fit in with a nice group of kids. It gets a bad rap because of the size. Personally I like it since it has groups for every child. On top of that my son has thrived.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:12 PM

75 posts, read 91,729 times
You can look at Plano's Health professions, International Baccalaurate and STEM academies if he is interested in specialized programs, it's easier to connect with people who have similar interests and ambitions. Academically, Plano is top performer in DFW, even though they are very diverse both economically and ethnically. I wouldn't recommend their regular high schools as those are 9-10 & 11-12 split unlike 4 year academies so not ideal for a sophomore transfer.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:28 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,868,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieBoss80 View Post
You can look at Plano's Health professions, International Baccalaurate and STEM academies if he is interested in specialized programs, it's easier to connect with people who have similar interests and ambitions. Academically, Plano is top performer in DFW, even though they are very diverse both economically and ethnically. I wouldn't recommend their regular high schools as those are 9-10 & 11-12 split unlike 4 year academies so not ideal for a sophomore transfer.
Actually, the 9-10 and 11-12 schools are good for new students. When you have two middle schools feeding into a 9-10 school, all students are meeting some new to them students. Even as a 10th grader, there are enough students that you will meet students in your classes that you have never seen before, even if they have attended Plano schools for 11 years. Same with two high schools feeding into a 11-12 school. Always some new faces in your classes, even if everyone is a lifetime PISD student.

Again, I love big schools. It is easier to find your "tribe" with more students and I felt less peer pressure because while there may be shunning, it is easier to move on to a different group and not be alone if you don't conform to the pressuring group.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:42 PM

75 posts, read 91,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Actually, the 9-10 and 11-12 schools are good for new students. When you have two middle schools feeding into a 9-10 school, all students are meeting some new to them students. Even as a 10th grader, there are enough students that you will meet students in your classes that you have never seen before, even if they have attended Plano schools for 11 years. Same with two high schools feeding into a 11-12 school. Always some new faces in your classes, even if everyone is a lifetime PISD student.

Again, I love big schools. It is easier to find your "tribe" with more students and I felt less peer pressure because while there may be shunning, it is easier to move on to a different group and not be alone if you don't conform to the pressuring group.
I agree that other than having long lists of courses, advance classes, pooled resources, college prep environment and extracurricular activities that smaller schools can't afford, bigger schools offer a bigger pool of potential friends and make it possible to avoid people or cliques you don't want to deal with.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:44 PM

427 posts, read 495,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
We moved to Allen and have been very happy. My son was in 8th grade at Ereckson and is now a sophomore at the high school. He was very shy and managed to fit in with a nice group of kids. It gets a bad rap because of the size. Personally I like it since it has groups for every child. On top of that my son has thrived.
Ironically all the bad rap is by non-residents - everyone here tries to praise and propagate their own towns and schools - example - one poster in this thread bought in Lovejoy, so he/she says Lovejoy is 'WOW', 'nice', blah, blah, blah - similarly there are some cheerleaders who are pushing their own towns and schools and misleading new comers to this board. Some say McKinney is near to Dallas downtown than Allen. Some say there are power lines, some has egos, they can't stand a different opinion, etc. there is no end to the negativity.

I really want to give a word of caution to all new comers- DO NOT take a decision based on the comments from this board. See everything by yourself.

To OP, based on your preferences, I think Allen can be in the mix especially since it has a strong music, band team (they won 2016 Grammy award) which is one of your requirements. I wouldn't think it can be a NO like one poster suggested. Do make sure to check on all scores by yourself though.

Based on job location, determine acceptable commute, new vs. old preferences, budget, schools (compare the data from all reliable sources for Elem, middle & high schools), drive through all the neighborhoods. Don't go by City, check the actual distance of the neighborhood to the job location. For example - for a Job in Plano Legacy Area, all neighborhoods in Plano, Allen, Frisco, McKinney along 121 are much closer than many locations within Plano itself.

I would consider the following is the order of desirable locations in DFW (not just schools but overall) and one needs to carefully decide based on individual circumstances

1. Park Cities - if one can afford and the job location is in Dallas.
2. Southlake - very affluent
3. Coppell. Flowermound or Colleyville can be considered as well if accessibility to DFW airport is needed.
4. West Plano - desirable and to some extent central location to most of the DFW job centers.
5. Allen & Frisco - If commute is to Plano job corridor. I do not see major differences between them at-least at Elem and middle school level especially West Allen schools. High school is individual preference. Allen is also a good choice if the job location is in Richardson. Richardson itself can be considered if old houses are ok.
6. McKinney

Then you have all other options like Prosper, Lucas, Parker, some neighborhoods in Irving, Rockwall, Keller etc. etc. all across the metroplex to cater to various specific needs, interests and budgets.

This is my observation and everyone can have their own views, preferences.

Last edited by DFWUser1; 06-01-2016 at 10:19 PM..

Old 06-02-2016, 05:29 AM

11 posts, read 11,198 times
Thank you for all of the great information that everyone has been willing to share. I wasn't sure how this forum worked at first. I'm very glad that I posted because I'm finding all of the responses to be very helpful.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:19 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,875,252 times
My eldest son was in McKinney Boyd's first graduating class in 08, the youngest of the four graduates tomorrow. We have been extremely pleased with the quality of the education. My oldest received a full four year academic scholarship to a small private school in TN, #2 a nice scholarship at U of Arkansas and the baby has received a huge scholarship to DePaul in Chicago (#4 could have if he had applied himself, is at Collin to be a paramedic. Fits him).

I say this because none of mine were considered the crème de la crème. They got a good solid education though that offered them opportunities for good college experiences. Each found their niche, have built lifetime friendships and were involved in various extra curriculars even though they are far from carbon copies of each other personality wise.

We have found the staff to be supportive and the atmosphere very positive. That said, I don't think it is the greatest school in the world nor do I think it ranks behind any of the other high schools in the area. I am not a booster, but I feel it was a great experience for each of our four.

In reality, any of the schools you list will be similar to Boyd. Certain people will come on here and claim that one is better than another, but usually they have vested interests to puff up what they are connected to and push others down. I find that kind of comparison (in these instances where these schools are all good solid schools) to be a sign of insecurity. Those comments go to the bottom of my list.

I can't think of any school in this part of Collin County that I think is a no-go. All are very good. There will be unique differences, yes, but all are great schools for the average to above average to excel and for those below to find their place as well.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:28 PM

427 posts, read 495,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
My eldest son was in McKinney Boyd's first graduating class in 08, the youngest of the four graduates tomorrow. We have been extremely pleased with the quality of the education. My oldest received a full four year academic scholarship to a small private school in TN, #2 a nice scholarship at U of Arkansas and the baby has received a huge scholarship to DePaul in Chicago (#4 could have if he had applied himself, is at Collin to be a paramedic. Fits him).

I say this because none of mine were considered the crème de la crème. They got a good solid education though that offered them opportunities for good college experiences. Each found their niche, have built lifetime friendships and were involved in various extra curriculars even though they are far from carbon copies of each other personality wise.

We have found the staff to be supportive and the atmosphere very positive. That said, I don't think it is the greatest school in the world nor do I think it ranks behind any of the other high schools in the area. I am not a booster, but I feel it was a great experience for each of our four.

In reality, any of the schools you list will be similar to Boyd. Certain people will come on here and claim that one is better than another, but usually they have vested interests to puff up what they are connected to and push others down. I find that kind of comparison (in these instances where these schools are all good solid schools) to be a sign of insecurity. Those comments go to the bottom of my list.

I can't think of any school in this part of Collin County that I think is a no-go. All are very good. There will be unique differences, yes, but all are great schools for the average to above average to excel and for those below to find their place as well.

Hope this helps.
One of the honest post (which happens rarely) that I saw on this board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: