Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 12:01 AM

31 posts, read 205,700 times

Advertisements

I'd like to first point out to new or occasional readers how valuable this forum can be or at least has been for me.I started browsing around on this site about six months ago after deciding Dallas would be my new home and asked advice from the regular posters here on where I should look for a place.I was having trouble finding the right fit because of my dog(rotty)and was becoming a little frustrated.The advice I got landed me perfectly next to Glencoe Park near Greenville and DART and 75.I've been here for 10 days and love it(and my dog does too).
Only one little setback is keeping me from being content.I need a job.My last employer in Virginia was working for a coffee company as a route sales rep(delivery,basically)and they do not exist west of Louisiana-so no transfer was possible.I really didn't want to pursue that type of work any longer anyway.Most of my work experience is in the food and beverage industry as I spent all of my 20s bartending(I'm 34)and worked as a F+B director at a golf course for a few years.So,I am applying at a couple of places currently to get back behind the bar which can be good money,but my shelf life seems to be running short there as well.I have considered going to broadcast school in March as I have a strong sports background and worked part-time for the newspaper in my town back in Virginia.Didn't mean to be so long-winded,but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to entry-level positions that may be available for a well-spoken,clean cut guy who just wants to make a nice life for himself in Big D?I'm sure some of you are thinking I'm a loose cannon for just coming down here without anything concrete,but I have always wanted to live here and it feels right.Any suggestions are appreciated if anyone stayed around long enough to read the end of this.Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 12:13 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,265,821 times
Yep... I read it all... Welcome to Dallas Rikolai!!!

So what do you want to do when you grow up? If broadcasting is your dream, why not pursue it and go back to bartending to put yourself through it?

May want to speak to a recruiter, check out the paper... I think there is a job fair in progress in Dallas right now too.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:27 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,719,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikolai View Post
I'd like to first point out to new or occasional readers how valuable this forum can be or at least has been for me.I started browsing around on this site about six months ago after deciding Dallas would be my new home and asked advice from the regular posters here on where I should look for a place.I was having trouble finding the right fit because of my dog(rotty)and was becoming a little frustrated.The advice I got landed me perfectly next to Glencoe Park near Greenville and DART and 75.I've been here for 10 days and love it(and my dog does too).
Only one little setback is keeping me from being content.I need a job.My last employer in Virginia was working for a coffee company as a route sales rep(delivery,basically)and they do not exist west of Louisiana-so no transfer was possible.I really didn't want to pursue that type of work any longer anyway.Most of my work experience is in the food and beverage industry as I spent all of my 20s bartending(I'm 34)and worked as a F+B director at a golf course for a few years.So,I am applying at a couple of places currently to get back behind the bar which can be good money,but my shelf life seems to be running short there as well.I have considered going to broadcast school in March as I have a strong sports background and worked part-time for the newspaper in my town back in Virginia.Didn't mean to be so long-winded,but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to entry-level positions that may be available for a well-spoken,clean cut guy who just wants to make a nice life for himself in Big D?I'm sure some of you are thinking I'm a loose cannon for just coming down here without anything concrete,but I have always wanted to live here and it feels right.Any suggestions are appreciated if anyone stayed around long enough to read the end of this.Thanks again.
If you are good at computer troubleshooting, look for entry level helpdesk positions. They often times don't pay well, but they're a springboard to better positions. I know quite a few people who have gone that very route and make really good money 5+ years later.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:35 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,810,103 times
Glad to hear you & your doggie made it to Dallas okay! I'm sure you'll enjoy it even moreso in the days/years to come! As far as the job market, hit all the job boards (i.e., indeed.com, monster.com, etc.). And, from where you've located, you have the world at your feet there, so doggedly pursue any venues that might be of interest.

Good luck to you and Welcome to Texas!

Old 01-16-2008, 12:57 AM

31 posts, read 205,700 times
Wow-Don't you people ever sleep???
Thanks for all the responses and well-wishes.Nsumner,that is my plan right now,but I'd like to have a few other options to fall back on.Thanks for the vote of confidence and it's funny you make the growing up reference.That's kind of the way I feel right now.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:04 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,810,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikolai View Post
Okay, now that you are a Dallasite, it's time to update your location! Otherwise, someone might be calling you a... uh... ?Yankee?

Old 01-16-2008, 06:36 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,487,922 times
Have you picked up an Observer? There's usually tons of job listing in the back.

Near you, there's Trader Vic's, Hotel Palomar (with it's restaurant Central 214), Trinity Hall.

I was at Whole Earth Provision yesterday and saw that they are hiring...it's not a bar, but it may be a group of people you'll get along with.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:50 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,600,220 times
Welcome to Dallas. My wife lived near Glencoe Park for 4-5 years and loved the area. I really enjoyed visiting her place, too. The duplexes have some character in the area! The White Rock Marathoners that are doing the relay run have a transition at Glencoe Park, and the 3-Day Walk also goes through Glencoe Park. They're both pretty cool events and it's really cool to have a front row seat.

Brian

PS: I think Yahoo Hotjobs is feeding the Dallas Morning News employment section now - so check our hotjobs.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:11 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,766,843 times
<<I was having trouble finding the right fit because of my dog(rotty)and was becoming a little frustrated.The advice I got landed me perfectly next to Glencoe Park near Greenville and DART and 75.I've been here for 10 days and love it(and my dog does too).>>

Oh yeah, I remember you -- So glad you found somewhere and you could bring your dog too! Welcome to Dallas :-)

Old 01-16-2008, 07:31 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,903,831 times
Welcome to Dallas. Glad to hear that so far everything is all good and that your baby is liking it just as much.

You mentioned you were in route sales.... do you have a CDL? If so send me a pm.

Again,
Welcome to the Big D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas