Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:00 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,795 times

Advertisements

American Heritage New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy,
Describes this word as :
nepotism [(nep-uh-tiz-uhm)]

Favoritism granted to relatives or close friends, without regard to their merit. Nepotism usually takes the form of employing relatives or appointing them to high office.

Disclamimer: This thread isn't intended to offend anyone.

I relocated to the Dallas area about 2 yrs ago and I've seen and heard that "it's not about what you know it's who you know". It wasn't something I thought about alot until I began to see it. At first I thought "oh it's just simple networking strategies" but when I looked a little deeper I saw that way too many people were in positions not because they were qualified or because they know their jobs well , but because they knew/know someone who was in a position to get them in certain positions! Now I understand the networking concept but, shouldn't whether or not your qualified be the most important criteria before promoting someone to certain positions? I've gotten to the point where as a customer I go straight to top when having to deal with certain compainies (grocery stores, utility companies, etc) because I'm noticing that more than likely a lot of companies have employess that have little to no knowledge about the actual job itself!

Has anyone else experienced this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 10:25 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,760,093 times
I don't think this is an issue unique to Dallas :-)

Old 01-09-2008, 10:27 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,238,506 times
It happens, I've seen it. Most companies have policies against such actions, but they are loosely enforced.

I doubt its anymore common in Dallas than any other city.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:37 AM

I don't know, but then again I haven't been EVERYWHERE either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
I don't think this is an issue unique to Dallas :-)

Old 01-09-2008, 10:38 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,594,433 times
This is quite normal in business - regardless of which city, state or country for that matter.

My wife got an interview because she had an internal recommendation. After all was said and done, her boss told her that he wouldn't have interviewed her since she was changing industries... but is happy he did, because she's the best hire he's ever done. So the "who you know" doesn't always mean you'll get the job, but it does increase your chance to get in front of the interviewer.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:47 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,754,245 times
I think that Freunderlwirtschaft existed since the dawn of humanity. I don't think Dallas is exceptional in that regard.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:49 AM

The response is a little vague and I don't want to misinterpret anything. So I'll ask.

Was she hired because she was a friend of a friend or because she was a friend of a friend and has the know-how for the job she was hired for?

Thanks for your repsponse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
This is quite normal in business - regardless of
which city, state or country for that matter.

My wife got an interview because she had an internal recommendation. After all was said and done, her boss told her that he wouldn't have interviewed her since she was changing industries... but is happy he did, because she's the best hire he's ever done. So the "who you know" doesn't always mean you'll get the job, but it does increase your chance to get in front of the interviewer.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:56 AM

I've experienced a difference in other areas of the country, maybe its that they practice it less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
I think that Freunderlwirtschaft existed since the dawn of humanity. I don't think Dallas is exceptional in that regard.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 AM

I'm starting to think that some companies enforce it some don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
It happens, I've seen it. Most companies have policies against such actions, but they are loosely enforced.

I doubt its anymore common in Dallas than any other city.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:07 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,799,357 times
Put the shoe on the other foot... if you were the employer and one of your highly-regarded employees, or coworkers, or even friends, recommended someone for a position, wouldn't you show preference to that candidate that was being recommended by someone you knew and whose opinion you valued, rather than an unknown candidate coming into an interview?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: