Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 05:48 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,598,287 times

Advertisements

If your lender paid off your taxes without your prior written approval - then I have no idea how you could be legally required to pay them back. They f#*@&d up big time. I'd make them eat it, but I'd say thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 08:14 PM

28 posts, read 75,694 times
If you are talking about property taxes, they are very high in TX period. Our home in Dallas area is $250 and the property taxes are $6K per year, now. Our house was a new construction, and they appraise here once a year, period. So the initial appraisal on our house was on the lot only. Are you with me here? The house was built and sold by October. If it had not sold until the following Feb, then an appraisal would have been done with the home on it. We knew that the appraisal would be significantly higher. Most mortgage companies prefer to pay the taxes. To get a mortgage with no escrow, or impound acct, you have to usually have one or more of the following, a big down or 20% equity or more equity in your home, or pay a fee, or have a higher interst rate. You have to ask for that up front. Once that is done, I would question a mortgage company paying out a huge chunk of money on an acct with no escrow. That is weird. As far as the recommendations that an escrow, or impound acct is a good idea, the best idea would be to put the money needed in your own bank acct where it is eaarning interest, and pay it all yourself. You need to be responsible to do all of that, in addition to qualifying as stated above. Good luck with making a mortgage company eat anything. I would review closing paperwork. Even then, if your mortgage has been sold, once, twice, or more, (happens all the time) you are talking about a huge battle. Good luck to you!

Old 01-03-2008, 09:21 PM

937 posts, read 2,908,026 times
Are your property taxes 6K with a homestead exemption? Just curious.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:21 PM

875 posts, read 1,093,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastxgirl View Post
If you are talking about property taxes, they are very high in TX period. Our home in Dallas area is $250 and the property taxes are $6K per year, now. Our house was a new construction, and they appraise here once a year, period. So the initial appraisal on our house was on the lot only. Are you with me here? The house was built and sold by October. If it had not sold until the following Feb, then an appraisal would have been done with the home on it. We knew that the appraisal would be significantly higher. Most mortgage companies prefer to pay the taxes. To get a mortgage with no escrow, or impound acct, you have to usually have one or more of the following, a big down or 20% equity or more equity in your home, or pay a fee, or have a higher interst rate. You have to ask for that up front. Once that is done, I would question a mortgage company paying out a huge chunk of money on an acct with no escrow. That is weird. As far as the recommendations that an escrow, or impound acct is a good idea, the best idea would be to put the money needed in your own bank acct where it is eaarning interest, and pay it all yourself. You need to be responsible to do all of that, in addition to qualifying as stated above. Good luck with making a mortgage company eat anything. I would review closing paperwork. Even then, if your mortgage has been sold, once, twice, or more, (happens all the time) you are talking about a huge battle. Good luck to you!
You can also get a no escrow account doing PMI financing. I know how the lending industry works, I'm not a novice at it by any means.

The son this happened to, is a mortgage broker himself so he knows the drill. His isn't a new loan, it's over a year old.

As far as I can tell by searching online, the only way a lender can add an escrow account after a loan has closed, is within 45 days of it closing, and they have to notify the buyer in writing.

None of this was done in writing, nor by using any sort of communication, period - they just did it. As you can see, Lakewooder had the same problem with a different mortgage company.

The problem is, the mortgage company just argues with my son saying they're just protecting their interest in the property, and the tax assessor's office is no help either. I can't imagine how it's legal, period. I'm beginning to wonder who is in bed with whom on this....who would benefit from this most? The county? I should think so.

As in Lakewooder's case, the mortgage company even paid the taxes for 2008 for him and my son, which aren't even due for a year!! This is clearly an outsider deciding how and when to spend a private citizen's money.

I'm not sure where Lakewooder's property is located, but my son's is in Collin County.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:34 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,261,385 times
Your son's lender is supposed to notify your son in writing if they are going to do it. However, when he closed on the house, there should have been a rider about them having the option to change the loan to include escrow. May be your son was not late but was it a slow pay?

Citi Residential (formerly known as AMC Mortgage) has done this to several people I know. They also take on separate homeowner's insurance and tack it onto the bill and that rate is usually very steep.

The county where the property is located has nothing to do with it either.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:24 AM

28 posts, read 75,694 times
Yeah, we have the homestead exemption.

I am not saying you are wrong. I am just saying that is so strange that they just paid it, if there is no, existing escrow. Of course then raise your payment to cover it. I would be so mad. It is a tough battle. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on the phone. You have to have your ducks in a row too. Examine your closing paperwork closely. I know in the past that my taxes would go up a bit, and my homeowners insurance would go up, and if the mortgage company had to pay a bit out of their pocket to cover a shortage in escrow, they completely freak out. They raise the house payment, overcompensating for the shortage, then you have to wait for a refund at the end of the year. You know who is getting all that interest. Not us. I really hate escrow. Even if you let them "help you" by taking care of all the worrisome work, you can get royally you know what. One thing they do not do for you, even though they are making a buttload of money, is if your taxes or insurance do go up, let you know, so that you have the option of paying that difference out of pocket that year, then putting that amt in your escrow, bit by bit if necessary to cover it the following. Nope, you have to check all that yourself. One year my homeowners insurance jumped significantly. My mortgage company paid it, then my house payment went up. My husband and I were both in that 60-70 hr work week and so busy. I called the insurance co. and after a bunch of research, they found that my one and only homes status had been changed to a seasonal home. Don't I wish. I had been with them for years too. So they fixed it while we were on the phone, and my ins that year actually went down. Think the mortgage company will make any changes?. No friggin way. I had a huge refund check that year. All I'm saying is it is an aging fight. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Your son's lender is supposed to notify your son in writing if they are going to do it. However, when he closed on the house, there should have been a rider about them having the option to change the loan to include escrow. May be your son was not late but was it a slow pay?

Citi Residential (formerly known as AMC Mortgage) has done this to several people I know. They also take on separate homeowner's insurance and tack it onto the bill and that rate is usually very steep.

The county where the property is located has nothing to do with it either.
Yes I know they're "supposed" to do it in writing, but the reality here in the DFW area, is the mortgage companies are NOT complying with the laws, and are seemingly running amuck doing whatever they please, with no accountability, and no recourse for the homeowners.

No he's not a slow payer, and I doubt Lakewooder is either. The taxes weren't even due until this month; Citi Residential did this some time in November and as I said in another post, they paid his 2008 taxes that aren't due until a year from now.

The million dollar question, is how can citizens prevent these lenders from spending their money for them???

Last edited by ladysrodgers; 01-04-2008 at 08:41 AM..

Old 01-04-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastxgirl View Post
Yeah, we have the homestead exemption.

I am not saying you are wrong. I am just saying that is so strange that they just paid it, if there is no, existing escrow. Of course then raise your payment to cover it. I would be so mad. It is a tough battle. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on the phone. You have to have your ducks in a row too. Examine your closing paperwork closely. I know in the past that my taxes would go up a bit, and my homeowners insurance would go up, and if the mortgage company had to pay a bit out of their pocket to cover a shortage in escrow, they completely freak out. They raise the house payment, overcompensating for the shortage, then you have to wait for a refund at the end of the year. You know who is getting all that interest. Not us. I really hate escrow. Even if you let them "help you" by taking care of all the worrisome work, you can get royally you know what. One thing they do not do for you, even though they are making a buttload of money, is if your taxes or insurance do go up, let you know, so that you have the option of paying that difference out of pocket that year, then putting that amt in your escrow, bit by bit if necessary to cover it the following. Nope, you have to check all that yourself. One year my homeowners insurance jumped significantly. My mortgage company paid it, then my house payment went up. My husband and I were both in that 60-70 hr work week and so busy. I called the insurance co. and after a bunch of research, they found that my one and only homes status had been changed to a seasonal home. Don't I wish. I had been with them for years too. So they fixed it while we were on the phone, and my ins that year actually went down. Think the mortgage company will make any changes?. No friggin way. I had a huge refund check that year. All I'm saying is it is an aging fight. Good luck.
It is strange, and I'm sure it's illegal, but what's the recourse? You can't get any help from the mortgage company, they're down right rude and claim they're protecting their interest. How is paying a property tax a year in advance without any notification at all to the homeowner legal??

What body (if any) regulates the lenders in this state, and who enforces their regulations?

Old 01-04-2008, 09:47 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
You could try contacting the Dallas office of the Federal Trade Commission.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
You could try contacting the Dallas office of the Federal Trade Commission.
Thanks Deb, I'll pass that along to my son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas