Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 08:05 PM

4 posts, read 8,336 times

Advertisements

Good evening.

We are looking to relocate to a southern state to get away from the cold winter blues. Some things that are important to us:

1. We want to stay out of tornado country. What parts of Texas are safe from this rath of Mother Nature?
2. Want to be close to a major city for what we believe would hold the better paying jobs, (i.e., Executive Assistant and airport ground equipment mechanic/welder/fabricator), but live in a smaller community (currently residence population is 17,000).
3. Would prefer to rent to begin with and would be interested in a 3BR/2BA single residence on 10 acres, horses allowed preferably with barn/out buildings.
4. High school offering good academics and opportunity/support for advancement to college. Child is currently in the 9th grade. How long do you have to live in Texas to receive in-state tuition at state universities?
5. Safe and friendly community welcoming northerners out of the cold.
6. Equestrian stables nearby with dressage, hunter/jumper trainers.
7. Heat okay, humidity undesireable. Where is the best place to enjoy Texas without the humidity?

Planning to visit in March 2008 and looking for some delightful Texans to guide us to the best place to start. Thank you for any assistance you can offer. We appreciate your time.

Peace and Happy New Year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 09:35 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
As long as you don't say how much better the Northeast is people should be fine with you friendliness wise.
I'm not sure what to tell you, Dallas is in 'tornado country' so I would actually send you down to San Antonio, maybe even Austin,Amarillo, Lubbock, or Oddesa.
But I would say San Antonio, its not too humid, its not cold, they're great schools everywhere in the country, its a major city but has a small town feel. You should be able to rent fine in SA along with your barn and what not. Texas is all about hunting, or at least east and central is... and its not in Tornado country like Dallas is, but I've never actually seen a tornado and lived here all my life.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:20 PM

4 posts, read 8,336 times
Thank you, CM, for your reply. While I've not been to Texas yet, I have enjoyed other southern states and the hospitality has been wonderful. I'm confident Texans are great people and we look forward to meeting some on our visit in March. Based on my research as well as you reply, I'm sad to learn Dallas and the surrounding areas are in tornado country. All parts of the country have a bit of Mother Nature to deal with...ours is blizzards, ridiculous cold, and too much snow! Not sure the old ticker could take the excitement of a tornado (probably have watched too much t.v.). My husband is interested in going more south, but I thought it would be more humid than northern Texas. My husband enjoys hunting, but here in Maine he has only a month in the fall to do so based on hunting regulations. Is hunting available for longer periods of time in TX? Am I correct in understanding you lived in Dallas all your life? I bet its absolutely beautiful there. Can't wait to see it. Thanks again for your time and response. You have been most helpful.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:48 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
I am a native Texan and have never seen a tornado. Houston is usually more humid than Dallas although this year Dallas had more humidity than normal. You have to live in Texas one year in order to be pay in school college tuition. I'm not sure how possible it is to get 10 acres *and* be near a major city. If you are looking at Dallas-Ft. Worth I would look south of the area or west of Ft. Worth. North of the area the property might get too pricey since that is the direction of new development.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:50 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
Well...
I wouldn't know if it would be longer but like the Turkey season is ending or has ended recently.
We have more then one hunting season for some animal, some in different seasons
but down here in Texas...
Pig are a problem(too many), so you can hunt them DAY OR NIGHT YEAR ROUND.
The Tornado thing is too hyped up, it can get scary, but i mean... its only during the spring, and the likely hood of even seeing a tornado is relatively small, but not impossible. Don't blow the threat off, but just be aware. They're some basic precautions you can take.
The storms here are probably a whole lot worse then those you see in Maine.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:56 PM

152 posts, read 673,783 times
I am not sure I would base my choice off of tornadoes. I have lived in Texas all my life as well and have never seen one.

If it's your time to go, it's your time to go weather it's a tornado or a lighting strike

Old 01-01-2008, 05:14 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,254,649 times
I have moved from Chicago to DFW 13 years ago now and I have never seen a Tornado. I am told that Houston and anything closer to the Gulf is very very humid, this is from people that lived there then moved to Dallas.

I do not regret our move at all, we really like it here. You can get property with 10 acres within 1 hour of Dallas or Forth Worth towards the north or east. This is Texas after all!!! Depending on your price range, may be even 45 minutes.

Naima

Old 01-01-2008, 08:53 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Dallas/Fort Worth is NOT "tornado country" in Texas! Yes, we have a few spring storms, and maybe 1-2 a year will produce a small (F-1 or F-2) tornado that lasts for a few minutes. Yes, there are occasionally exceptions to this, but they are really rare. The real big ones (F-5) occur much more often in Oklahoma and Kansas than in Texas! I've lived in Texas for 35 years and never seens a tornado, and the only time one even came close to my house was when I lived out in West Texas!

You will have to look around to find a Dressage H/J barn here. Honestly, most people in Texas ride western. But English riders are out there, and if you look, you will find them. Dallas has a new Dover Saddlery store, and San ANtonio has Ranchmart that sells all sorts of English and western tack.

San Antonio would probably be a good option for you since it is one of the less humid places in Texas. The Hill Country is really pretty! They do have a decent-sized airport, although it is not a hub for any airline (like Dallas and Houston). You should be able to find a place to rent with acreage and a barn in the outer suburbs, like Sisterdale, Comfort, Boerne, etc.

You have to live in Texas one full year to get in-state college tuition.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:20 PM

47 posts, read 156,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy & Bob View Post
Good evening.

We are looking to relocate to a southern state to get away from the cold winter blues. Some things that are important to us:

1. We want to stay out of tornado country. What parts of Texas are safe from this rath of Mother Nature?

Just avoid Oklahoma
2. Want to be close to a major city for what we believe would hold the better paying jobs, (i.e., Executive Assistant and airport ground equipment mechanic/welder/fabricator), but live in a smaller community (currently residence population is 17,000).

Maybe Argyle but might be too expensive...Try Justin perhaps...they are both not far from DFW or Meecham field. Why rent? If you do not have financial issues this is the BEST time to buy in years. Make sure you get an Agricultural Exemption...save a ton on taxes
3. Would prefer to rent to begin with and would be interested in a 3BR/2BA single residence on 10 acres, horses allowed preferably with barn/out buildings. Why I am suggesting those areas..possible Dentpn
4. High school offering good academics and opportunity/support for advancement to college. Child is currently in the 9th grade. How long do you have to live in Texas to receive in-state tuition at state universities? 1 Year
5. Safe and friendly community welcoming northerners out of the cold.
Not an issue in this state
6. Equestrian stables nearby with dressage, hunter/jumper trainers. Same areas suggested
7. Heat okay, humidity undesireable. Where is the best place to enjoy Texas without the humidity? Avoid south of Dallas

Planning to visit in March 2008 and looking for some delightful Texans to guide us to the best place to start. Thank you for any assistance you can offer. We appreciate your time.

Peace and Happy New Year.
see answers below questions

Old 01-03-2008, 09:42 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Dallas has had only one tornado of any consequence since it was started in 1841 - April,1957 (less than 10 people killed). I am a native who was born after that and I've never seen one..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas