Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 08:33 AM

368 posts, read 929,251 times

Advertisements

I have been looking in Flower Mound forever for homes between $250k and $390k and we're having a hard time finding what we have now in Florida: almost half an acre with 2,800 square feet. Either the home is large with a small yard or a huge yard with a dated, older, smaller house. We've started expanding our search to Highland Village but DH is concerned about extending my commute to Coppell (right of 635). How are the schools in Highland Village compared to FM?

And for my husband, is there lacrosse in Highland Village? My 1st grader has really taken to it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 10:26 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
I like Highland Village a lot. But I would go with a shorter commute and get an older house if you really need land. I would confine my home search to Coppell. After the adjustment, think how nice it would be to pop home at lunch time or just zip over to your child's school for a quick conference or if you need to get your child at some unscheduled time... traffic can be so frustrating here and once you settle in to your new place, living just 10 minutes from home has a daily impact on the whole family's life.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:49 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
Half acre lots are pretty much nonexistent here in DFW. As you are finding out, you have to drive out to the semi-rural areas to find them. A short commute is really much better than a big yard...IMHO.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:57 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,560,569 times
You are going to be hard pressed to find a half acre lot in Flower Mound or Highland Village on your budget, especially with a newer home. Honestly, it really isn't going to happen. I would say Flower Mound's schools are slightly better than Highland Village's (Flower Mound High School vs Marcus High School, but not a huge difference). The commute to Highland Village isn't worth it and I'd stick to Flower Mound proper or live with a smaller yard in Coppell, which does have excellent schools too.

Don't know about lacrosse, sorry.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:13 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,573,186 times
I thought Highland Villiage was Lake Dallas ISD?

Old 02-19-2014, 12:20 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,560,569 times
Nope, LISD. This might help:

http://www.lisd.net/campus_info/lisd_boundary_map.pdf

I wouldn't recommend Lake Dallas schools They aren't totally awful, but definitely a few steps below those you are already looking at. I speak as someone who attended in both districts. Good luck!

Old 02-19-2014, 12:30 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,573,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Nope, LISD. This might help:

http://www.lisd.net/campus_info/lisd_boundary_map.pdf

I wouldn't recommend Lake Dallas schools They aren't totally awful, but definitely a few steps below those you are already looking at. I speak as someone who attended in both districts. Good luck!
Thanks.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:51 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
You are going to be hard pressed to find a half acre lot in Flower Mound or Highland Village on your budget, especially with a newer home. Honestly, it really isn't going to happen. I would say Flower Mound's schools are slightly better than Highland Village's (Flower Mound High School vs Marcus High School, but not a huge difference). The commute to Highland Village isn't worth it and I'd stick to Flower Mound proper or live with a smaller yard in Coppell, which does have excellent schools too.

Don't know about lacrosse, sorry.
What mSooner said. I'd be stunned if you find a newer home and close to half acre lot in FM or Highland Village for under 400K (heck, even up to 500K that's probably a tall order). Your choice, but I'd echo what others have said - choose which you want more, newer home or larger lot, and then add Coppell itself to your search (although homes in your price range go really fast there). I'd rank Coppell schools a bit above Flower Mound's and agree with mSooner (who would know better than I) that FM HS is marginally above Marcus.

They're all good, but agree that commuting from Highland Village to Coppell would be a pain given the layout of the roads.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:40 PM

72 posts, read 123,742 times
No desireable town with good location and schools, offers a decent new house on half acre lot for less then $800k. You buy existing or you keep driving.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:26 PM

301 posts, read 571,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
I thought Highland Villiage was Lake Dallas ISD?
Basically anything north of 1171 in Flower Mound up through Highland Village feeds into Marcus HS and is LISD. There is a perception that Marcus is less-desirable by some but I have a kiddo there and we have been very happy with Marcus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas