Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 04:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,282 times

Advertisements

Hello to all the helpful people here! An apology in advance, if you don't like reading long posts!

While there are a lot of helpful tips in here already, my problem is a case of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing":

I had the chance to spend a month at Dallas in late '13. I had no clue about the chance of my coming back so I did not investigate the neighborhoods with a "resident" eye. However, I have some prerequisites that I am looking for in the place where I live and I was hoping for help to make my mind up:

Here is some information that may give more context around my questions:

I work on Midway Road at Carrollton - right near the Cavanaugh Flight Museum. I have a desk job with little to no business commute beyond home-to-work

Am a single male, about to turn 32. I like a nice local social scene but with more nice bars where one can have a conversation or unwind, not those pretentious bars. A decent number of local restaurants would be an added bonus! I would love to be within a short walk (10 mins) of a bar (or three) - some of the local brews are deceptively good!

I've hung out at what we at work called the Beltline crawl - have checked out almost all of the "unpretentious" places and some of those places were really nice. I could have just gone in on the wrong evening at the wrong time! All I need as a backup is a sports bar... which is never a problem.

I will mostly look at an apartment for rent - maybe two bedrooms. No pets (yet). Need some recreational sports options nearby - at least a basketball court nearby. Gyms are obviously not a problem.

Now from what I heard, Addison might be a good fit for my needs but I heard the rents were on the rise there. An good apartment (near Vitruvian Park) is around 1500 bucks a month? I stayed at Carrollton (ugh! as far as social life is concerned) and for a short time in Plano.

Here are the things on my mind:

1. Do you recommend Addison for my "needs" / lifestyle?

2. Are there other neighborhoods that I should evaluate?

3. If I am willing to drive upto 30-45 mins one way to work, what other localities do you think I should consider?

4. The area needs to be safe / low crime - which I know North Dallas scored well on

5. What sort of rent should I expect to pay? I will end up going for a 2 bedroom place, but can I rent furnished places as well? How much will that put me back by?

I think anything over 1800 bucks will start making me sweat, so its 1500-1800 a month. It needs to be a fantastic place for me to consider the absolute top end, cold sweats inducing number of 2000 a month.

I have some time to relocate - probably late March / early April so I can take some time to hunt for places.

Looking forward to your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 06:24 AM

794 posts, read 1,227,068 times
Have you considered Knox Henderson area? Not sure why but reading your post reminded me of pre-kid days hanging out at the old monk and the corner bar. The commute would not be nearly as convenient as, say, Addison. But I think it shouldn't be more than about 30 min on a typical day. Just a guess...someone may have better info on commute time from there.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:56 AM

212 posts, read 410,408 times
I would recommend seeing if there are any townhomes available on Beltway Drive in Addison. It runs parallel to Beltline between Midway and Marsh. You will have to do a little digging for the listings, but Walnut Square is one of the complexes; there are others. You may also find individual rentals by owners. The buildings are a little older, hence less expensive, but still nice. The Town of Addison rec center is right there, as well as Les Lacs park, which has sand volleyball courts. There are also running and biking trails. There are also very nice (400K+) single family homes right there as well. It's just a quiet little neighborhood sandwiched in a cranny of Addison.

You might also consider the Shoppes of Legacy area near Legacy and the Tollway in Plano.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:21 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,576,070 times
Beltway Dr. Is a nice little area.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:02 AM

15 posts, read 15,877 times
Beltway is a nice area, but the walk to the most concentrated area for the bars and restaurants will be a little more than 10 minutes. I would suggest Addison Circle, and there are some 1 bedroom apartments in your price range.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:09 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,301,747 times
Addison Circle is nice. I would pick that area.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:30 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,470,251 times
Vitruvian Park® in Addison - Living Choices

Old 01-22-2014, 10:33 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,470,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netneanderthal View Post
Now from what I heard, Addison might be a good fit for my needs but I heard the rents were on the rise there. An good apartment (near Vitruvian Park) is around 1500 bucks a month?
I'm confused that you are ok paying 1500-1800 but then make this comment as well? The nicest apartments in the Addison area are going to be found at one of the three builds at Vitruvian Park. So if that's what you're wanting, that's where to get it.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:11 PM

19,888 posts, read 18,176,024 times
Addison Circle or close. It's awesome to live very close to work.

Are you here now or coming soon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas