Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 01:26 PM

105 posts, read 219,343 times

Advertisements

How would you compare the various elementary schools in Coppell. Is there a certain elementary/middle pattern I should stay away from or be sure to focus on. I know Coppell schools as a whole are generally regarded as some of the best publics in DFW (which is why we want to move there). I haven't found much online that distinguishes between the various elementaries though. I have reviewed the GreatSchools and SchoolDigger comparisons, but I'm looking for current, anecdotal feedback from those that have kids in these schools. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 02:22 PM

794 posts, read 1,670,358 times
I think they have pretty good elementary schools but CISD residents can give better opinion of current situation there. I do know that Wilson gets all the students from the trailer park and has a high Hispanic demographics with ESL so people avoid that.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:04 PM

149 posts, read 567,780 times
You can't go wrong at ANY elementary in Coppell. Even Wilson is great. Yes there is a trailer park across the street but there are also million dollar homes that feed into the school as well. No one is pulling their kids out to go to private school or avoiding Wilson because of the trailer park or high hispanic population. Okay I take that back closed minded individuals might avoid Wilson for the above reasons but diversity is what makes the world go round. Wilson also houses one of the two Dual Immersion programs in the district. Any how off my soapbox. Seriously though find a house you love and the schools associated with it will all be great.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:27 PM

169 posts, read 195,333 times
Homes are hard to purchase in Coppell. You can't usually afford to be real picky which school they get into.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:22 PM

454 posts, read 763,448 times
All the schools are wonderful, with very dedicated teachers. I have triplets who went to Austin elementary, Middle school East, then 2 went to the high school, one went to New Tech. I'm a sub at all the schools, and I agree with jekutz; find a great house and don't worry about the schools. You'd be splitting hairs to find the differences. BTW, kids who live in trailer parks can be smart, as well as Hispanic kids. (Also, that trailer park is the nicest one I've ever seen...very tidy with nice homes.)

Old 01-07-2014, 11:14 AM

Glad to hear Hispanic kids can be smart since my wife is Hispanic and my kids will be half Hispanic! We are looking to custom build and so we have some flexibility as our builder has lots both in Wilson Elementary and Denton Creek Elementary zones. Any other feedback on those two specific schools/areas? Seems like there are not many folks living in Coppell on this board?? Thanks guys

Old 01-07-2014, 05:31 PM

I've subbed at both schools. I would say that Wilson is a little more diverse; I hate to define schools by ethic mix, but I'll be honest. Wilson has more Indian and Hispanic kids from what I could see, with white kids also. Denton Creek seemed more homogenous (read-white) but both schools have plenty of diversity. Your kids would be at home either place.

If I were you, I'd park outside each school as the students are coming in or going home. You can get a feel for who is attending each school. Either school is fine-all the elementary schools in Coppell look similar on the inside, so there's no real difference there. Denton Creek might be the newer school if that matters to you.

I've never come across a teacher in Coppell that was less than crazily dedicated to his/her kids, and very cheerful to boot.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:46 PM

I don't know if my last reply was accidentally deleted, so this may be a repeat.

As long as we are talking ethnic mix, Wilson has more Indian and Hispanic kids, and I would say Denton Creek is less diverse. But the mix in all of Coppell is one where your children will be comfortable anywhere.

I have to add that young people (judging by my kids) are totally color blind, and hardly notice any ethnic differences. I grew up in a different world and I am amazed how little gender or ethnicity matters to kids today. After growing up in a suburb of New York about a zillion years ago, this is very different from the way things were. In the past, people were defined by nationality, color, religion, and if you were ambiguous in any way, everyone tried to find out 'what you were.'

There is still a lot of that on the NY forum, but not here. People in Coppell claim there is a "Coppell Bubble" where nothing bad ever happens and everything is perfect.

BTW, I meant no offense with the smart Hispanic kids remark. I meant it sarcastically-just a feeble attempt at humor.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:47 PM

GRRRRR-sorry for the double post.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:52 PM

Thanks Rosky, that's helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: