Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 11:10 AM

794 posts, read 1,676,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
That's an anecdote. The data is that more than half of white Lakweood 5th graders enroll in 6th grade at Long. Another percentage choose to go to a (public) magnet school like Travis. There are people who move away or chose private schools, but they are a distinct minority.
So 50% of the students leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 11:10 AM

743 posts, read 1,325,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
So 50% opt out?
nope.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:16 AM

16,086 posts, read 41,278,331 times
The last data I saw was 85% of Lakewood Elementary continued at Long. The year prior it was 73%. It was not broken down by race. I don't have data from this year but if you look at the numbers for whites it would indicate that virtually all the whites from Stonewall and Lakewood went on to Long, plus some new whites/transfers. I do know of one or two who are at Travis but plan to go to Woodrow.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The last data I saw was 85% of Lakewood Elementary continued at Long. The year prior it was 73%. It was not broken down by race. I don't have data from this year but if you look at the numbers for whites it would indicate that virtually all the whites from Stonewall and Lakewood went on to Long, plus some new whites/transfers.
That sounds correct. My estimate would be that 1/3 of the whites who didn't go to to Long were from Stonewall which would mean 80% of the white 5th graders at Lakewood went to Long this year.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:28 AM

53 posts, read 86,921 times
Quote:
I recommend Richardson's 75082 area for $300k budget, it's really nice and majority of homes feeds to Plano schools. Stinson Elem & Otto Middle are really good schools.

Here is current inventory between $250k-350k.

75082 Real Estate - Richardson, TX 75082 Homes for Sale - realtor.com®
Thanks, I will check that area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
With your budget you will be better off in RISD. You need at least a 3 bedroom house and you will be hard pressed to find an updated one in the Lakewood or Stonewall areas.

But generally school "ratings" are little more than a measure for the number of white/asian students enrolled. If you were to live on Lakewood Blvd your elementary school would be 76% white (85% in K) your middle school would be 22% white and your high school 21% white (there are almost no Asians in central Dallas). That is what those school ratings are measuring. (To my detractors, yes I know they are meassuring other data points, but find me a zoned comprehensive secondary school somewhere in the nation that is <25% white/Asian and scores well.)

That scares most people who didn't grow up here. The reality is that starting at middle school kids are grouped by ability in all core subjects, which makes the classrooms at Long and Woodrow more than 20% white assuming your kid is a native English speaker who does homework.

These same points basically all apply to Lake Highlands as well, though they have two middle schools and LHJH is much more regarded. You can probably find a house that fits your needs in the Wallace Elementary attendance zone, but depending on your job location, Prestonwood is likely your best choice.
I appreciate your points, both about the housing stock and the school ratings. While we do need a 3 bedroom house, we do not need or want a huge house. Having said that, we don't want something the size a postage stamp. As for Long, I did look at the rating, but I was actually referring to the reviews (which Lakewooder mentioned). It's possible that there a few disgruntled people, but there were several reviews which referred to disciplinary problems. Diversity does not scare me; I went to a public high school that was minority white, and, as it happens, my family includes some "diversity" as well. Disciplinary problems DO scare me, and if it is true that the principal is not on top of the situation, I would not able to consider the school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The Friends of J. L. Long is having a meeting this Thursday, December 12 from 6:15 to 8:15 pm at The Lot, 7530 E Grand Ave, Dallas, TX 75214. Principal Petters will be updating the group on what is happening at Long.

Long is nearing completion of the three-year accreditation process for International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme. It has been offering the curriculum for the past two years as candidate school. In that time approximately 85% of the faculty has been IB-trained. About 35% of the faculty was new and had been recruited for this as of last year. Last time I checked, less than 30 public schools in Texas are IB MYP accredited.

I checked out the reviews and it seems there may be one person with an axe to grind making several. The others seem balanced. I personally know many parents and students who love Long. Its particular strengths are languages, math, science and performing arts. It does very well in state math and science competitions and science fair. Athletic teams dominate the district and often win the city championships.

The new TEA rankings are the top possible with distinction in top 25% progress.
I appreciate this info. I am never sure what to make of personal reviews, but my concern was mainly, as I mentioned above, about problems with bullying, etc.. The I.B. program is a big draw for us, but a safe environment trumps it. Do you have any insight into this?

Old 12-11-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andalusian View Post
Disciplinary problems DO scare me, and if it is true that the principal is not on top of the situation, I would not able to consider the school.
Long is a safe campus, whether your concern is knifes or facebook. I wouldn't worry about those issues at Long more than anywhere else. I will remind you, in case you have forgotten, that middle school sucks

This is what $300k(ish) gets though: 6406 Marquita Ave, Dallas, TX 75214 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

1029 Valencia St, Dallas, TX 75223 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Old 12-11-2013, 11:58 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,648,719 times
Quote:
. Anyways, you'll not like the housing stock of Lakewood that meets your budget.
I agree with this. $300k is right on the edge of what others would consider lot-value. (tear down and build) You will likely find older, smaller homes that haven't been updated or need quite a bit of attention.

Good luck.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:16 PM

About the best area to look in that price range is University Terrace https://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...Dallas-TX.html (Lakewood Elementary) between Fisher and Northwest Highway. I see listings on Wake Forest, Clemson, Bennington and Rutgers for $250-$300K. Unless you like Craftsman Bungalows (which will probably need work), then I would suggest Junius Heights http://www.juniusheights.org/ (Lipscomb Elementary). I also see a couple of the smaller homes on Ravendale in Caruth Terrace http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caruth_Terrace,_Dallas (Stonewall Jackson Elementary) in that range.

Any of those would probably be a better investment than the other areas mentioned. Prices are still rising in East Dallas/Lakewood and I see no end in sight. Even if you don't make any improvements you can sell for tear-down value in the future if you are in an area with no restrictions...crazy, I know...

Last edited by Lakewooder; 12-11-2013 at 12:32 PM..

Old 12-11-2013, 12:37 PM

Not any info but nice photos! Wintry mix dusts JL Long Middle School in East Dallas | Dallas Morning News

Old 12-11-2013, 02:33 PM

794 posts, read 1,676,634 times
OP, If you are interested in IB program then Richardson's 75082 pocket would be a great choice. Plano's IB Academy is housed in that area's senior high school and Health Academy in located on junior high school's campus, STEAM school, community college and UTD aren't that far either. These are great options to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas