Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 01:28 PM

105 posts, read 219,784 times

Advertisements

My wife and I want to find a house within the Lakewood elementary district to renovate. Total max budget including all renovations would be $850K, but prefer to stay in the $650-750K range if possible. No kids yet, but hope to start next year so kid-friendly areas are a must. How important is it to be within "Lakewood Proper" - Mockingbird to North, Abrams to west, and Gaston to South for resale purposes? What are the neighborhoods like that border Lakewood proper, specifically Hollywood Heights, Santa Monica, Gastonwood-Coronado Hills, and Abrams near Lakewood Country Club. How do they each compare in terms of quality of life? Kid / family friendly? Resale? At this price point and life stage, would we be making a mistake to consider homes outside Lakewood proper? We would plan to stay in this house a minimum of 5-10 years, and maybe more if our kids could be AP/IB track at Long/Woodrow and were doing well and enjoying it.

Also, we are not from Dallas originally, my wife grew up in south TX and I grew up in CA so we need a place that is very open-minded. The only thing that concerns me about Lakewood is how tight-knit it is with seemingly generations and generations of residents - I'm hoping we would be welcomed in and not treated as outsiders.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 03:19 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,238,410 times
In that price range I would go with Lakewood Proper for investment purposes. However, there are homes being built all over approaching that range - there is one in Gastonwood-Coronado Hills (nee C-Streets now called Lakewood Hills) which is on two lots! I would say in 5-10 years there will be many more. However, Hollywood Heights is not really up in that price range and is a conservation district. Lakewood Proper is probably the most kid-friendly but believe me they are all over...some adults are a little miffed when the kids outnumber them at The Lot, Matt's and Canne Rosso..

I wouldn't worry about breaking into the crowd. There are a lot of new people everywhere. I don't know if you were here this weekend for the Lakewood Home Festival, but it's a good intro to the area. You will get to know people fast in LECPTA, Lakewood/Long/Woodrow PTA, East Dallas Chamber, YMCA, Lakewood Service League, neighborhood associations and many other organizations. There are two school carnivals each year at Lakewood and Stonewall. There's always a good crowd at our Woodrow football games (we finished as undefeated district champs and are in the playoffs!) and they are known to be friendly - just start talking to the people around you. It's similar at the restaurants, shops, pubs and bars in the area...just start talking!

If you are here, Long is having an open house on November 14 and Woodrow on November 20.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:35 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,383,093 times
All of those areas are great for resale and for living. Most of the ones you named that are outside of Lakewood proper don't have many / any $800k range homes so if that is what you want to spend, I'd cross Hollywood Heights-Santa Monica, C Streets, and the Lakewood Elementary neighborhoods that are north of Mockingbird off your list. You'd be buying the most expensive home in the area which is never good! However, if you want a $300-400k starter home, those are awesome places to look!

The Lakewood proper area is also SO great for kids because there are no traffic lights or major streets once you cross Abrams. Everyone can bike/ walk to school and to/from friends' houses.

It's a very friendly place. Most of our friends who live there and grew up in Dallas actually grew up in other neighborhoods (Park Cities, Richardson ISD, private schools) and they have all found their own niches in Lakewood.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:11 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,644,111 times
I agree with staying in Lakewood proper. We love not having to cross Gaston to vist friends or get to the lake.

Do you have a realtor yet? You need one. I have some friends who are changing houses, moving from south of Gaston to Lakewood proper. Their house sold before it was even listed and the house they bought never went on the market. Things are still pretty hot!

Good luck!

Old 11-12-2013, 11:22 AM

617 posts, read 1,045,623 times
100% agree with previous posters.

In terms of quality of life / kid-friendly / resale, as in terms of practicalities like schools, shopping, commute, etc. these areas are more alike than different. From the bigger picture, as compared with North Dallas, Plano, whatever, this is really one big neighborhood which is probably why those from elsewhere refer to "Lakewood" in the broader sense beyond Lakewood proper. At Lindsley Park (in Hollywood/Santa Monica) there are always kids from the C Streets and Lakewood who have braved the difficult trek across Gaston. I believe the current head of the dads' club at Lakewood Elementary, is from H/SM.

That price range is above almost everything in H/SM. In the C Streets, that would get you new construction (7114 Coronado), not a renovation project. The C Streets are changing a lot. Just in the past two years, virtually every block has had one or more tear-downs at all times. I would not be surprised in 10 years, if all of the 1940s 3BR traditionals there that go for $200-400K have been replaced by new construction in the $800-900K range. If you want new construction, that is the place.

There are some truly grand homes on gorgeous lots in the Abrams-Brookside area (605 N. Brookside) but that area is a little cut off from everything else by the country club, Abrams Rd, and the trail. Plus, Brookside Drive, though gorgeous, is a through street where people drive fast. Within Lakewood proper, generally the houses are older as you go south and west; and newer as you go north and east. The historic areas are pretty much all within the southern part of Lakewood (closer to Gaston than to Mockingbird).

For comparisons with Lakewood proper, why not look in Greenland Hills i.e. M Streets (5431 Merrimac; 5334 Mercedes; 5510 Merrimac)? Those are Stonewall Jackson elementary. Personally, my favorite thing about Lakewood proper is the sense of quiet seclusion and lake proximity on the broad streets (broader than in the C Streets or H/SM), whereas my favorite thing about the M Streets is being closer to all the restaurants, entertainment, etc. on Greenville, Knox-Henderson, Uptown, etc.

Last edited by Walter Benjamin; 11-12-2013 at 11:42 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 12:22 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments, extremely helpful. We were definitely inspired by the Lakewood Home Festival last weekend. Loved that house on Avalon. Before that my wife was pretty focused on new construction, but after seeing the renovations, she is now open to a remodel. I think we will focus on Lakewood proper. I do have realtor that is helping me.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:10 PM

114 posts, read 222,309 times
The Avalon house was my favorite too. I wish they had mentioned who they used for remodel, one of the best I've seen!

Old 11-13-2013, 03:45 PM

That used to be the Cox house, the kids there went to school with me and their mother designed and made costumes for the Woodrow musicals for many years.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:37 PM

Small world! Do you know who remodeled it for the current owners?

Old 11-18-2013, 04:30 PM

It's a very small world in Lakewood -- the Allens lived next door (Ruth became WWHS principal) then the next house was Charlie Tessmer Good time Charlie - Page 1 - News - Dallas - Dallas Observer, the Meers lived on the other side. Across the street was Dr. Campbell, the Thompsons and the Echols. Just a few years ago, I knew or went to school with everyone on Avalon (or very nearly everyone). Some have died and some are new people...

That being said, I cannot remember who renovated the house for the current owners!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas