Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2013, 02:07 PM

63 posts, read 109,103 times

Advertisements

we've been casually looking for a new home and prices are up, up, up. Everyone is telling us that supply costs are up, so of course, a house is almost $50k more that what they could've been last year. We've looked at Jackson Hills in Sachse from Grand Homes and are not impressed with the tiny lots.

How does everyone feel about Sachse/Wylie area in general? We own a rental home in Sachse for the past 5 years, but feel like new development (shopping, restaurants) is not that great and on the slow side. My husband likes that it's close to the 75 corridor, but I much prefer to move North to Frisco, or The Colony by 121.

Thoughts on dueling neighborhoods? I feel like home values will remain higher up north, long term. New home builds around high 200s-mid 300's are what we can afford right now and those areas fit the bill.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 02:16 PM

53 posts, read 144,529 times
Go with where your needs are.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:12 PM

177 posts, read 311,744 times
I live in Wylie and we like it. I think Wylie has a better upside on resale value than Sachse and less petty crime issues as well. School systems are pretty good as well. Maxwell Creek is a nice development still selling some lots.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:28 PM

794 posts, read 1,670,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lphung129 View Post
we've been casually looking for a new home and prices are up, up, up. Everyone is telling us that supply costs are up, so of course, a house is almost $50k more that what they could've been last year. We've looked at Jackson Hills in Sachse from Grand Homes and are not impressed with the tiny lots.

How does everyone feel about Sachse/Wylie area in general? We own a rental home in Sachse for the past 5 years, but feel like new development (shopping, restaurants) is not that great and on the slow side. My husband likes that it's close to the 75 corridor, but I much prefer to move North to Frisco, or The Colony by 121.

Thoughts on dueling neighborhoods? I feel like home values will remain higher up north, long term. New home builds around high 200s-mid 300's are what we can afford right now and those areas fit the bill.
You can find similar homes at a better location with better resale, schools and amenities compared to both of these areas. Look into Richardson's 75082 area that feeds to PISD. I believe Lennar and David Weekly are building there but existing homes are equally attractive option.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:18 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,438,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lphung129 View Post

Been living in Wylie for a year now, and lived close by in North Garland and Rowlett for 4 years. Compared to Frisco, Sachse and Wylie are faaaar behind in terms of shopping...but that's because we only just now got the George Bush tollway extension. Up until late last year, the tollway stopped in Garland. Now it goes all the way to the 30. The hope is that this will spur more development in the North Garland/Sachse/Rowlett area. And I think it will happen. Wylie in particular, is one of the fastest growing towns around, with growth rates comparable to Frisco. Its just that Frisco had a 10 year head start.

My thoughts after living here for a year? I honestly think Wylie is at a crossroads. The next 5 to 10 years will determine if Wylie joins the Friscos and Allens as upscale suburbs, or if Wylie eventually turns into another Garland. I think there are too many starter homes in Wylie, so this is a great place if you are looking to spend under $200K, but at the higher price points I honestly wonder about your resale. If I was looking for a house in the mid 300Ks, I would go to Murphy. Right next door but with much better housing values. JMHO. And contrary to what another poster said, I personally think Sachse will hold its value MUCH better than Wylie. It's much closer other tollway for one. One pet peeve is the fact that there is no highway in Wylie, so you either drive 20 minutes to get to the George Bush, or 30 to get to 75 (depending where in Wylie you live, those numbers might vary slightly). That being said it's not a deal breaker for me, but YMMV.

And I notice you said you thought Sachse had small lots...and you are considering FRISCO?!?! Frisco lots are way smaller than those of Sachse and Wylie. The one good thing about Wylie is that if you want a large lot, it's cheaper here than in most of Collin County (for now).

Old 10-15-2013, 09:50 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,612,395 times
If you are into the latest shopping, explosive growth during the last 20 years with no signs of slowing down, and a trendy "upscale" address, you should definitely choose Frisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas